ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of the Carvin Concert Series C1648P – 16 Channel/4 Amp/Powered Mixer  (Read 12997 times)

Jason Simonds

This was a review of the Carvin Concert Series C1648P

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/C1648P

..but it was obviously a mistake posting it here... so I deleted it as to not to continue to offend the sensibilities of you elite folk.. I'll just take my useless toys and not bother you folk again...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 08:13:55 AM by Jason Simonds »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

I am glad you are happy with it.  When reviewing something please quote power over a frequency range with a number.  Peak numbers are useless.

I would not recommend a powered mixer.  Powered speakers and a mixer can be repurposed.  Everything is a compromise in the design.

The JRX in my opinion are just plan nasty.  From a muddy bottom to highs that drill through you head in a way that you have to carry novacaine to listen to them.

If your happy that's fine but don't expect a mea culpa or opinions to change.

Your expectations are very low.

Sorry to be so negative.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kemper Watson

• Woodstock GA

Wait till you try to get warranty support.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:01:48 PM by Kemper Watson »

Jason Simonds

I wasn't looking for applause... sheesh... I was sharing my experience, as for listing the power ratings... there was a link at the beginning of the review. It was there so the reader could go directly to the specs page and read the numbers for yourself.

I purchased in May and had a bad channel in July. They advance shipped a replacement, and sent a call tag for mine. End of transaction. I'd call that good warranty support.

The point of my review was to share my experience. I have gained a lot from reading posts and article on the Internet. My post is payback.    The reason I shared the other components and information about the band, was so you understood the environment, and the real world situation of not having a ton of money, and how that affected the decision.

There are hundreds of small bands out there with little to no money to spend on hardware. It is not a bad thing for us to be able to find hardware that is affordable and versatile.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

Jason...

With the advent of low-cost digital consoles, devices such as the C1648p fall WAY behind in features for the price.  If it works for you, then that's a good thing.  But for those who are shopping for an economical yet full-featured setup such powered mixers are outdated upon purchase.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

I wasn't looking for applause... sheesh... I was sharing my experience, as for listing the power ratings... there was a link at the beginning of the review. It was there so the reader could go directly to the specs page and read the numbers for yourself.

I purchased in May and had a bad channel in July. They advance shipped a replacement, and sent a call tag for mine. End of transaction. I'd call that good warranty support.

The point of my review was to share my experience. I have gained a lot from reading posts and article on the Internet. My post is payback.    The reason I shared the other components and information about the band, was so you understood the environment, and the real world situation of not having a ton of money, and how that affected the decision.

There are hundreds of small bands out there with little to no money to spend on hardware. It is not a bad thing for us to be able to find hardware that is affordable and versatile.

Jason, I work with many small bands.  They will spend money on instruments, pedal boards, custom pics, lights you get the idea then expect to sound good on a pair of speakers that list for less than $1000.00

Sometimes it's just a matter of priorities in many cases

Certainly your intentions of giving back were good.  This forum doesn't tend to attract the audience that would be in the market for that gear.  That's about the nicest way to say it.

If you are emotionally attached to any gear you own this is the wrong place to be.  Other than my mics nearly everything I owned has been called into question by someone at some point.  It's perspective and personally I like the perspective of the more experienced and better budgeted.  Their processes and methodology apply at all levels.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Simonds

The elitism of this board and its members is a bit over bearing at times... .people have to start somewhere, but according to most of what I read on this board... we should just not try... I mean ... we're gunna suck... cause we're not pro's like the rest of you... rather than encouraging and helpful... replys on here tend to attack the poster and tell them what wrong with their approach, and that is usually couched in terms of "if you can't spend the money on the high end hardware, you should just stay home"...

Y'all dress me down for my decision making... well screw all of you... you are not in my shoes... and I defy anyone of you to list a package of equipment that will give me the feature set I have at anywhere near the price... digital gear is not cheap....  if you wanna bitch go right ahead, but back it up with real world examples of how I could spend the same money on better gear.... damn you guys are just full of yourselves...

Jason Simonds

Jason...

With the advent of low-cost digital consoles, devices such as the C1648p fall WAY behind in features for the price.  If it works for you, then that's a good thing.  But for those who are shopping for an economical yet full-featured setup such powered mixers are outdated upon purchase.

I would be interested in seeing what list of components you would come up with to replace what the Carvin can do... thnx...

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

I would be interested in seeing what list of components you would come up with to replace what the Carvin can do... thnx...

What's your total investment in your Carvin and any other FOH processing/EQ?  To make a list of comparables I need a ballpark figure so it's apples to apples, investment-wise.

Any list of gear will include the essential features which the Carvin lacks...and likely at a comparable price considering the up-tick in functionality and sound quality.  Right now I'd say the biggest limitation in your rig is NOT the Carvin.  It's the JRX.  There's a good reason why they don't cost much.  Almost anything else (other than complete crap like Seismic) will perform better.

But come up with the numbers and we'll go from there.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:55:36 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Scott Holtzman

The elitism of this board and its members is a bit over bearing at times... .people have to start somewhere, but according to most of what I read on this board... we should just not try... I mean ... we're gunna suck... cause we're not pro's like the rest of you... rather than encouraging and helpful... replys on here tend to attack the poster and tell them what wrong with their approach, and that is usually couched in terms of "if you can't spend the money on the high end hardware, you should just stay home"...

Y'all dress me down for my decision making... well screw all of you... you are not in my shoes... and I defy anyone of you to list a package of equipment that will give me the feature set I have at anywhere near the price... digital gear is not cheap....  if you wanna bitch go right ahead, but back it up with real world examples of how I could spend the same money on better gear.... damn you guys are just full of yourselves...

It's not elitist at all.   Especially here in the lounge, many of us have entry level gear.  The problem is entry level is several orders of magnitude above what you spent.  You got a 270 watt per channel amp and a 15 input mixer.  The same power level you have to buy a pair of QSX GX3's for $800.00 and a Behringer X32 producer for $1300.00. 

You can't get quality gear at that price point.  We say "Pay once, cry once".  I think you wanted validation, that you have found a quality rig for next to nothing.

This is our profession.  We purchase the best tools we can for the job.  I can buy a set of screwdrivers at Harbor Freight for $5.00.  Why does my mechanic spend 20 times that?  The inexpensive tool will likely damage what he is working on and let him down when he needs it.

It's the same thing in sound.  There is a level at which equipment is professional grade.  Some manufacturers like Behringer sit on the edge.  Those of us who use their new digital mixers there are people in here that think we are chumps.

Getting emotional is silly, if you like it have a great time.  If you had posed a question about operating it and you were working within it's limits you would have and still will get a well thought out answer.

Nobody is trying to attack or offend you.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Review of the Carvin Concert Series C1648P – 16 Channel/4 Amp/Powered Mixer
ยซ Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:56:10 PM ยป

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.