ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using effects on X32 -Need a very detailed easy how-to  (Read 45413 times)

Goerge Thomas

Using effects on X32 -Need a very detailed easy how-to
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »

Hello, I am looking for some help for a complete beginner to using an X32 console. We use the X32 Rack controlled by a computer. So far we have managed to set up our Monitor mixes, aux fed subs, mains and use the ipad to control the system. We can do channel EQ and dynamics but we have yet to understand how to use effects.

Could anyone walk me through how to step by step get a bit of hall reverb on a vocal channel? Please treat me like an idiot here. I have watched a few youtube videos and still cannot get it to work.

Lets say our vocal mic is Channel 1 and it's going through to our mains stereo L/R (output via bus 7,8) I have my board like this now and will do your instructions step by step for this configuration. Everything else is factory.

What do I do?

We only want the effect to be applied to our mains and not in our monitors.

How do we go about making this happen, the easiest way? I figure if I can get reverb on one channel then I can do it for all of our vocals afterward.

Reverb is the only effect we use. Doing that on our old Yamaha 01V was very easy to throw reverb on any and all channels and adjust the reverb level per channel after as well as the master reverb level. The X32 for us so far has not been so easy.

Thank you for the help, I would not ask here if I could figure it out with googling as I have already tried and failed to do thus far.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Using effects on X32 -Need a very detailed easy how-to
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:34:18 PM »

Hello, I am looking for some help for a complete beginner to using an X32 console. We use the X32 Rack controlled by a computer. So far we have managed to set up our Monitor mixes, aux fed subs, mains and use the ipad to control the system. We can do channel EQ and dynamics but we have yet to understand how to use effects.

Could anyone walk me through how to step by step get a bit of hall reverb on a vocal channel? Please treat me like an idiot here. I have watched a few youtube videos and still cannot get it to work.

Lets say our vocal mic is Channel 1 and it's going through to our mains stereo L/R (output via bus 7,8) I have my board like this now and will do your instructions step by step for this configuration. Everything else is factory.

What do I do?

We only want the effect to be applied to our mains and not in our monitors.

How do we go about making this happen, the easiest way? I figure if I can get reverb on one channel then I can do it for all of our vocals afterward.

Reverb is the only effect we use. Doing that on our old Yamaha 01V was very easy to throw reverb on any and all channels and adjust the reverb level per channel after as well as the master reverb level. The X32 for us so far has not been so easy.

Thank you for the help, I would not ask here if I could figure it out with googling as I have already tried and failed to do thus far.

It is essentially the same process though I strongly encourage you to test out the effects.  There are several types of reverb but you should add plate and tap delay to your bag of tricks too.

Basically each effect is assigned a send, just like a monitor mix or your sub mix, instead of sending it to the aux you send it to an effect channel.

Have you looked in the effects section?  Each effect has an "inee" and an "outee" drop box to assign the routing.

You can then use sends on faders or the sends tab in each channel to adjust the level into the effect.

Effects can be chained.

The graphical EQ's are also in the effects section.  Since they are stereo you only burn up one slot for two channels of EQ.  I find using these on the monitor sends works better for me than the parametric EQ on each channel.  I only use that for the high pass/shelve.

Check out youtube also.  Lot's of x32 videos of varying quality and accuracy.  It's a great way to see how others do things.  With a digital board and flexible routing there are many ways to achieve the same goal.

Welcome to the forums.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andre Vare

• Hamilton, ON Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 01:38:14 PM »

Read and study section 5.5, page 27 of the User Manual.

Andre

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »

A long webinar on X32 effects.. very thorough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiObTzy3GVw

Goerge Thomas

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:22 PM »

If I have this right... I made a video of what I THINK I would do to add simple reverb to channel 1...
please watch it and let me know if I am wrong in my assumptions and setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWaJTwykvk

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 02:15:30 AM »

If I have this right... I made a video of what I THINK I would do to add simple reverb to channel 1...
please watch it and let me know if I am wrong in my assumptions and setup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQWaJTwykvk
That should work.

I would suggest that you look into 'sends on fader'. If you press that button and select your reverb mixbus then all faders on the left side will be the sends level for each channel into you reverb. This way you get a better view of what is going into an effect.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:26:50 AM »

Also pressing the effects hard key is not channel dependent.  It looks like you figured out where the return is so you have it. 

I would not choose the hall reverb for vocals try the tap tempo.  One of the function keys is already setup for setting tempo.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 02:26:50 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.