ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: combining pro audio with home units  (Read 3926 times)

Gregg Aleo

combining pro audio with home units
« on: September 15, 2014, 09:40:53 PM »

ok i know this may be a strange question (hopefully in the right forum)- If someone buys Yamaha passive pro PA speakers from light Guitar Center- Can those be plugged into a Home theater type receiver?   Our school music teacher has an older 200 Onkyo receiver/amp like you would have in your living room.... someone donated a pair of Yamaha passive speakers (I think they are like C112V model speakers-)-   Will this work? I've never combined home-model amps with pro audio speakers- Pros and cons??

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: combining pro audio with home units
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »

ok i know this may be a strange question (hopefully in the right forum)- If someone buys Yamaha passive pro PA speakers from light Guitar Center- Can those be plugged into a Home theater type receiver?   Our school music teacher has an older 200 Onkyo receiver/amp like you would have in your living room.... someone donated a pair of Yamaha passive speakers (I think they are like C112V model speakers-)-   Will this work? I've never combined home-model amps with pro audio speakers- Pros and cons??

Sure it will work, a speaker is a speaker.  A home receiver won't have anywhere near enough power for that speaker so you will have to be very careful how loud you turn the volume up. 

Insufficient power will destroy a speaker quicker than too much.  It's not intuitive but when an amplifier is asked to do too much it does what we is called "clipping".  These type of signals will damage the speakers.

Make sure you hook them up the same way.  Observe the positive and the negative.  If the speakers have a connector that looks like a guitar plug the tip is the positive.  If you reverse one side the speakers will cancel each other out.  You will have to make your own cables unless they gave you some.  In that case you will have to cut one end off and connect it to the terminals on the receiver.

Lastly, this is the wrong forum for this question.  I am sure a moderator will move it, it needs to be in the lounge.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:06:35 AM »

Insufficient power will destroy a speaker quicker than too much.  It's not intuitive but when an amplifier is asked to do too much it does what we is called "clipping".  These type of signals will damage the speakers.

Only if there's more energy in that clipped waveform than the speaker can handle.  In this case, I doubt it will do any harm.  It will just sound bad with the amplifier clipping.

Steve.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 08:37:12 AM »

You will be just fine with that setup assuming it goes loud enough for your needs.  Don't worry about too much/little power.  If it sounds bad then turn it down.  Same as you would do if you were using home speakers.  BTW I think you will find the Yamaha speakers will go louder and take way more abuse than most home speakers.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:58 AM »

Only if there's more energy in that clipped waveform than the speaker can handle.  In this case, I doubt it will do any harm.  It will just sound bad with the amplifier clipping.

Steve.

True, I but those integrated amp chips can make some tweeter shredding nasties. 

The most salient advice was, if it sounds distorted turn it down.

Most important, have fan and learn.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 12:50:41 PM »

Yes, you would hope that someone would notice the distortion and turn it down before any damage occurred.

The fact is that many guitar players intentionally overdrive and clip their amplifiers but they don't change speakers after every gig!

Steve.

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »

Just keep in mind that home-theatre receivers (especially the cheap ones) have high minimum ohm requirements for the speakers; mine's 6-16 ohms. One 8-ohm speaker a side would be fine, but don't try putting two per side. Might even be stamped on the back of the unit.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 04:03:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.