ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Edison plug on 12/4 quad box?  (Read 7696 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Edison plug on 12/4 quad box?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 04:36:01 PM »

Why replace the 12/4?

Unnecessary bulk?

The 12/4 would make good speaker cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jared Koopman

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:02:02 AM »

I would consider installing the proper twist-lock plugs on your cables (L 14-20?), then adding a NEMA 5-15 adapter for plugging into Edison outlets. That way you reduce your voltage drop by 33% (I think) over the run since you're using both legs of the extension cable, but with a common neutral. And then you can always use your quad boxes to plug into a 4-wire distro if you're in that situation.

See http://www.customavrack.com/products/988-5-15p-plug-adapters.aspx for every kind of adapter possible.

What do you wire monkeys think. Is this a reasonable solution? That's how I would do it and it appears to follow all code and UL requirements I can think of.

So I put L14-20P's on each end.

Now my thought was to make a short adaptor cable with an Edison plug on one end that ties to only one leg (black, green, white in this case) of an L14-20R. I know this means I can only use one half of the quad but I can live with that.

My question is, if only one leg of the L14-20 is used (the black duplex in my case) and the neutral and ground are shared between the red and black duplex's, does this make the the red duplex "hot" and dangerous?

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 09:36:56 AM »

No
Steve Swaffer

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 01:10:44 PM »

Now my thought was to make a short adaptor cable with an Edison plug on one end that ties to only one leg (black, green, white in this case) of an L14-20R. I know this means I can only use one half of the quad but I can live with that.

In the female end of your adapter, if the terminals provide space for it*, you could run a jumper between the black and the red slots, then you'll be able to use both halves of the quad box. It will effectively make it as though there was no red wire, and the hot sides of the receptacles were jumpered just like the neutral sides (white wire). Think of it this way: instead of the jumper being in the quad box, it's in the female end of the adapter. The effect is the same.

*NOTE: You can only do the jumper if the terminal is either the kind that allows you to wrap the wire around the screw (a method not advised with stranded wire) or where you can insert a wire between plates on each side of the screw. The jumper should be the same gauge and stranding as the main conductor. Many connectors only allow a single wire inserted between the plates that are clamped together by the screw; there isn't a good way to jumper with this style. Under no circumstances should you split the strands of a single conductor between two terminals, as that could result in an overloaded conductor between the split and the terminals.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:13:22 PM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jared Koopman

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »

In the female end of your adapter, if the terminals provide space for it*, you could run a jumper between the black and the red slots, then you'll be able to use both halves of the quad box. It will effectively make it as though there was no red wire, and the hot sides of the receptacles were jumpered just like the neutral sides (white wire). Think of it this way: instead of the jumper being in the quad box, it's in the female end of the adapter. The effect is the same.

*NOTE: You can only do the jumper if the terminal is either the kind that allows you to wrap the wire around the screw (a method not advised with stranded wire) or where you can insert a wire between plates on each side of the screw. The jumper should be the same gauge and stranding as the main conductor. Many connectors only allow a single wire inserted between the plates that are clamped together by the screw; there isn't a good way to jumper with this style. Under no circumstances should you split the strands of a single conductor between two terminals, as that could result in an overloaded conductor between the split and the terminals.

Thank you that was my next question!

Jared

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 01:20:06 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.