ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Golf Club Audio Installation  (Read 5198 times)

Jordan D. Hadwen

Golf Club Audio Installation
« on: September 12, 2014, 11:43:11 PM »

Hello there,

This is my first post on the forums, thank you thank you.

I am a free lance contractor and was approached by a golf club to look over their in-house sound system. They use a 70V PA amplifier run through wall mounted volume controls. One of these wall mounted volume controls has ceased to work. Upon inspection, the previous installers wrote "35w" on the volume control. Would there be harm done if I were to replace the volume control with a 100 watt rated volume control?

Thank you in advance,
Jordan D.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:00:11 PM by Jordan D. Hadwen »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Golf Club Audio Installation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 02:39:37 AM »

Hello there,

I am a free lance contractor and was approached by a golf club to look over their in-house sound system. They use a 70V PA amplifier run through wall mounted volume controls. One of these wall mounted volume controls has ceased to work. Upon inspection, the previous installers wrote "35w" on the volume control. Would there be harm done if I were to replace the volume control with a 100 watt rated volume control?

Thank you in advance,
Jordan D.

Jordan, please change to your real name as noted when you sign up and post.  You won't get anything until you do that and the thread is locked.

I will tell you that you need some educating on how tapped transformer constant voltage systems work. 

Change your name please.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »

Hello there,

Thank you in advance,
Jordan D.
There is a difference between a regular 35watt L pad and a 35watt transformer tapped volume control.

Without knowing more information, we have no way of knowing where the "volume control" is located in the chain.

It could directly in the 70V line (in which it would be a stepped transformer) or it could be after the 70V stepdown transformer and directly controlling the level going to the 8 ohm speaker.

You said it has "stopped working".  Are sure it is the control?  and not a wiring issue?

What caused the volume control to stop working?  Did it just "break" or was it overpowered?

Whenever I look at a repair, I try to figure out what CAUSED the failure-NOT just fixing it and going on.

Sometimes you cannot figure out why, but it is always a good thing to try to understand.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 09:46:37 PM »

There is a difference between a regular 35watt L pad and a 35watt transformer tapped volume control.

Without knowing more information, we have no way of knowing where the "volume control" is located in the chain.

It could directly in the 70V line (in which it would be a stepped transformer) or it could be after the 70V stepdown transformer and directly controlling the level going to the 8 ohm speaker.

You said it has "stopped working".  Are sure it is the control?  and not a wiring issue?

What caused the volume control to stop working?  Did it just "break" or was it overpowered?

Whenever I look at a repair, I try to figure out what CAUSED the failure-NOT just fixing it and going on.

Sometimes you cannot figure out why, but it is always a good thing to try to understand.

It is also important to note that if the volume control (L-Pad) contains the transformer (which is my guess with the very specific rating) then the 35w is not a rating specification but the amount of current tapped from the available current on the line.  Constant voltage systems use transformers to "tap off" specific amounts of power depending on the area to be covered, driver type etc.

To repair something you must first understand how it works.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »

Hello there,

Thank you in advance,
Jordan D.

No other model # or info on the volume control?
35W is a pretty typical value, and if it is indeed just a 70V volume control then yes replacing it with a bigger one is fine.
but as others have said, volume controls also come in versions that have a 70V input and 8ohm output so you need to either know exactly what you're replacing, or know what the load impedance is (you do have an impedance meter?)

Jason

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 07:26:17 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's an Atlas AT35 as they're pretty common and the white decora finish would suit a golf clubhouse well.  If this is the case, then 35 watts is just the max power handling of the volume control.  A larger control would handle more power, but it will still work.  The AT35 is around $20-$30 though, so why not just replace it with the same? Assuming it is, in fact, an Atlas AT35...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it's an Atlas AT35 as they're pretty common and the white decora finish would suit a golf clubhouse well.  If this is the case, then 35 watts is just the max power handling of the volume control.  A larger control would handle more power, but it will still work.  The AT35 is around $20-$30 though, so why not just replace it with the same? Assuming it is, in fact, an Atlas AT35...
And assuming it is defective.

I wonder if it has been tested for proper operation or not?

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Jordan D. Hadwen

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:48:07 AM »

Thank you everyone, I did not realize that there was so much to constant voltage systems. I have been googling, searching and talking to as many people as I can about these systems and realize experience is key and of which I have none....

The volume control has no distinctive markings other than "Taiwan" and "RED - INPUT" "GREEN - OUTPUT" "BLACK -COMMON"

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:02 AM »

Thank you everyone, I did not realize that there was so much to constant voltage systems. I have been googling, searching and talking to as many people as I can about these systems and realize experience is key and of which I have none....

The volume control has no distinctive markings other than "Taiwan" and "RED - INPUT" "GREEN - OUTPUT" "BLACK -COMMON"

If there are no jumpers or settings then it is likely just a 70V volume control.
You should be pretty safe to remove the volume control and connect the speaker wires straight through to see if the speakers come on at full volume. if they do, then replace the control. if they don't then put it back and start looking for other problems.

Jason

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

And assuming it is defective.

And assuming is was properly sized for its load to begin with.  Perhaps that's why it may have failed.
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:11 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 24 queries.