ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 2 day gig / hard freeze / 28 degree weather  (Read 5370 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: 2 day gig / hard freeze / 28 degree weather
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 09:27:14 AM »

Another question is with some of the speakers or drivers using Fero Fluid what effect will this have in cold.  Will it freeze and make the coil fixed and will it possibly distort the coil or the spider. 

I find at the HomeDepot a bucket of DampRid that would be an easy way to put two of these in the trailer and remove some moisture and condensate.  A bucket is about 3 dollars so 6 dollars will provide some help.

My JBL's use Fero Fluid and I leave them in my trailer all winter - never a problem.  Of course they probably have time to thaw before being powered up(if the fluid does actually freeze).

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

My search with msds is finding  flashpoints of around 160 to 220 degrees. 
but no freeze point.  Most are listed as oil base suspension.  However there are one or two that are water based.  Oil is thick when cold and harder to move the coil so the sound will be affected some until the temp becomes normal operating temp 70 degree ??? 

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

I am doing a two day gig outside and the PA and lights stay setup overnight.  There is potential for temps to get down to 28 degrees.  So im wondering do I :

A) keep all the gear on piled together and tarp it for the night

B) shut everything off and turn back on 8 hours later

There is a digital console which concerns me. I also have a enclosed trailer near by.

I have also thought of leaving the racks in the trailer and running cables from there but im not sure how much of an option that is.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

While we are on the subject...Say your outside providing a system for a rock band. How cold can it be before you start to risk damaging to your drivers?

I did a job under a huge pavilion for a band I did on a regular basis. The temperature was in the low 40's. I had a very nice 4 way system but I was getting worried about the 15's and the 18's. My fingers and the BANDS weren't moving to well. Had I had the option I would of never worked it!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:21:04 PM »

While we are on the subject...Say your outside providing a system for a rock band. How cold can it be before you start to risk damaging to your drivers?

Being from "the Great White North", I'll submit a couple of procedures.
I have been system tech twice at World Cup ski events. It ain't warm.
The squints on load out day had to drag the truss into the chalet to let the soca thaw out before thay could wrap it up. The first one they tried to remove shattered. Did I mention it was cold ?

On th PA side, for the mainstage, as long as the band wants to play, I'll supply.
For the SkiHill side, no choice. The skiers need their tunes.
1) I left the amps and boards running 24 hours. (we were there for 4 days) with the gain all the way down. Boards were somewhat sheltered, but not with heated enclosures. We took turns feeding the generators. I think we had 20 Honda 5K, spread all over the bloody place.
We had speakers every 50 feet along the course (ballet), as well as clusters at the bottom, middle (for moguls and that flying shit they do), and firing right at the judges table.
2) When we got to the site in the AM, cracked the gains open a bit, and played some BG music. By the time I got to the top, then took a sled to the bottom, probably 40 minutes had gone by. This time, I put the amps to Show Level, and repeated my climb.
3) When the day was done, climbed the mountain and drop the gains.

"We" did this contract twice, used the same gear both times, and never lost a driver or amp.
Bottom line - If it's cold, let shit warm up a bit, or keep it in operation.

In standard indoor winter shows, if the rig has been in the truck over night, the first thing I do is open all the cases (to let the cold air out). Get the stuff placed, and get the band settled on stage. This should give enough time to equalize temperatures somewhat. I have never lost gear to cold or humidity.
Rain, and flooding, that's another story.

Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

eric lenasbunt

• Bunt Backline Event Services, LLC
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »

Condensation, carnivore... they both start with a "c".

I'm not sure you can put enough heat to gear in Swampland, USA to keep the condensation out.  I think the best bet is to bag it tight right after turning it off.  If it's already got moisture on it, you're out of luck.

You're right Tim, we just suck it up and replace/repair out gear more frequently. I once had an entire damp rid bag go in a day (supposed to last a month). You just throw your hands up and say screw it.

I have actually found we have very few moisture related gear issues except first thing in the AM when the temp is skyrocketing, then we just put it in the sun and wait to power up.

Still beats the hell out of snow IMHO, plus fried gator tail is about the best thing you will ever eat.

Good luck with those September freezes boys and girls...

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »

Almost every ski resort I have been to has a small stage with installed gear sitting outside and being used all winter. Just start low and work your way into full output and you shouldn't have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 08:36:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.