ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: ProCell getting worse? Best alternatives?  (Read 10868 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: ProCell getting worse? Best alternatives?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 08:21:15 PM »

We just got back one of our BTR beltpacks with a battery meltdown... new Procells. Though I think what happened is that somebody put in one of the AA cells backwards (new graphics don't have an obvious plus/minus look) instead of the cells going back by themselves.

So that's definitely a vote against the new look.

Yeah it's easy to miss that nipple on the plus side  :-\

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 12:38:19 AM »

Don't laugh, but I've switched to Lowe's 9V (yes Lowe's as in Home Depot). These are the red/black ones made by LG.  Super cheap and seems to last just as long as Energizer or Duracell in Shure ULXP handhelds and beltpacks.  I've never had one gone bad in over a year of usage (more than 100 cells.)

ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 12:09:26 PM »

We just got back one of our BTR beltpacks with a battery meltdown... new Procells. Though I think what happened is that somebody put in one of the AA cells backwards (new graphics don't have an obvious plus/minus look) instead of the cells going back by themselves.

So that's definitely a vote against the new look.

Hi Scott,

Funny you mention that.  I worked a gig two weekends ago at the theater at Madison Square Garden and used a couple of bricks of the new orange Procells in RF world, and we had two separate incidents of brand new AA's leaking profusely in BTR packs over the course of two days.  There were most definitely no batteries turned around in either pack, as that was the first thing I checked post-mortem, both times.  The packs were set to PTTX, so it was a low-drain/intermittent-high-drain  scenario.

FWIW, on another gig a month ago, I had to set a different supplier's rig up with their UR1's set to high power mode (talent was sitting in deep lounge chairs and several insisted on placing their UR1 packs in back pockets).  I'm well aware that this shortens battery life considerably, but there was a notably wide variation in the drain rates of batteries that came in the same brick of orange Procells.  I was forced to inconvenience the star of the show more than once (off stage, thankfully) to replace batteries that should have lasted another hour, at least.  Last week, we operated at normal power and also had inconsistent drain, but it was tolerable because it was stretched out over longer periods of time.

I had thought that these performance issues may have been a fluke, but I am now convinced that there may be a genuine problem with these batteries, and the leaking issue is serious because it's a danger to health and may damage equipment.  Back when I was with Dolly Parton, we used to hide her headset UR1M pack under her wigs, close to her scalp.  Imagine the consequences of a leaky battery in that situation!  Aside from pain, discomfort, and damage to scalp and hair, some of her wigs were worn during famous performances, boosting their collector value, and are insured for over five figures.  T'would be a disaster.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:31:52 PM by Jason Glass »

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

I have been using Home Depot house brand (Defiant)and quite happy with the results.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »

A buddy who is FOH/TM for a busy act which is wireless everything, including a number of horns, settled upon Costco (Kirkland) house brand. He switched for $$$ reasons but swears by them.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 03:38:39 PM »

A buddy who is FOH/TM for a busy act which is wireless everything, including a number of horns, settled upon Costco (Kirkland) house brand. He switched for $$$ reasons but swears by them.

I like them too. I am not a member but a buddy buys them for me. They are much better than the BJs brand batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 02:03:18 PM »

I have been using these for years.  They last as long as any other battery I have tried.

I also use these in a much more demanding application, some of my scuba lights.  Last thing I want is to have a light go out when it is pitch dark and I am 100 feet below the surface!

kendallhadden

• Kindred Spirit Ministry
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2014, 08:54:27 AM »

I have switched from Procell to Sam's Club Member's Mark.  I can't tell a difference in life and they are way cheaper.  Like many, I have found that Procells seem to be getting worse.

Gary Green

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 09:39:45 AM »

Topic swerve, but if this thread was a few years ago, I would have wanted to know this:

I once would have been excited to see to this thread because battery life, how many "bars" are left, can I get through the interview, sending my tech across the street to CVS was part of my daily stress. Boxes of used batteries piled up , battery power anxiety was a key component of the gig.
My job changed with the purchase of ULXD and the $hure rechargeables.  For a theater guy that uses multiple RF 7 days a week, I don't think it is a stretch to say the change is equivalent to going from an analog to digital console - especially when you add in the "transmitter sensitivity" concern that has evaporated. 11 hr. battery life, display of how much life is left on the receiver...
I have a rack of UHFR that sits in a corner and is only used when I need to go beyond my 8 ULXD.
Next week I have a 2 day TEDx 10hr per day event, 10 RF channels.  If I was using regular batteries , I would be going crazy just coming up with strategy for swapping them  - each channel , 3x each.
For me , same batteries all day if I want.
Worth every penny.

paul bell

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

I've had very good luck with Rayovac Ultra Pro batteries. I believe brands like Duracell have become too comfortable as number one in batteries and they'll sell batteries regardless if the quality drops off.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.