ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Casual JTR Noesis meet up  (Read 12703 times)

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Casual JTR Noesis meet up-update
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »

Since I am not able to attend this event I am looking forward to hear the results / or observations after listening to the JTR speakers. There is no one in my area that has any of JTR's. Looking forward to the comments. Thanks.

I've arranged to have Rick Powell's Danley SM80 for the day as well.  Different beast and price point, but both of these loudspeakers at a venue I do a lot of work at is something I've wanted to do for a while.  They are both on my "short list".

I'm looking forward to having a listen.

Best regards,

John

Mario Pollio

Re: Casual JTR Noesis meet up-update
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 11:17:52 AM »

I've arranged to have Rick Powell's Danley SM80 for the day as well.  Different beast and price point, but both of these loudspeakers at a venue I do a lot of work at is something I've wanted to do for a while.  They are both on my "short list".

I'm looking forward to having a listen.

Best regards,

John

looking forward to hearing the results

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
Re: Casual JTR Noesis meet up
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 04:20:56 PM »

I would be very interested in those. I wonder how much more those cost over the regular 3XT's.

How's the throw on these speakers? I'm assuming pretty good. What size cd do they come with? The specs only specify a 1.4" exit.

The 2 x 12 version of the N3TX is called (I believe) the N212x
Uses same 12" drivers that the Triple 12's used and the horn from the N3TX
He had the crossover pretty much worked out because he had the home version
The cabinets are the exact same size as the Triple 12 cabinets (and have full grills on them!)
I had Triple 12's, sold them, but kept the covers.  They fit like a glove.

I think the price of the N212x is the same as the N3Tx.
The 12" drivers aren't neo, so the drivers are a little cheaper than the neo 10" drivers, and that cost offsets the extra wood in the cabinet. 

The N212X sound great.  And, they are the right height to set on top of Orbit Shifters without using poles.   I really like my pair and would get them again in a heartbeat. 

I Used to have SRX722's and I have used the QRX212.
Both are great speakers, but I'd get the JTR's. 

Mario Pollio

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »

You guys listen to the SM80's yet?

What DSP did you use? I notice you have some kind of eq thing on the iPad.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 05:00:58 PM »

You guys listen to the SM80's yet?

What DSP did you use? I notice you have some kind of eq thing on the iPad.

Looks more like channel inputs or VCA/mix group masters.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Halliburton

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 07:43:36 PM »

Okay, we're done.  A great intimate afternoon.  Doug Jones and Aaron Johnson dropped by.  Jeff's got some pictures, I was busy. ;>)

I set up the Noesis on top of the Orbit Shifters, and the SM80 on Ultimate stands just to the inside of them.  Protea processor.  PLX3602 amps for everything.  Stereo set up.  Crossover at 102hz, 24db LR filters.  10.75ms delay to top channels.  Gains initially were +4db on the sub sends, and all the amps were wide open for input sensitivity.  KISS.

The Noesis sound very good right out of the box.  The fact we didn't apply any eq to them for the entire session should tell you a lot.  Smooth high end, very easy to listen to the type of acoustic music I work with a lot(Irish trad), but great with jazz and certainly fine with the rock selections we tried.

The SM80 need some processing for me.  Notches at 8k and 1.5-2khz, a small bump at 300hz.  I am thinking there should be another notch somewhere in the 3khz region, but we didn't pull out the TEF or Smaart stuff to hunt it down-time constraints.They are very in your face, which is the intended design that Ivan wanted.  They are loud-although we didn't have the horsepower to max either out, I had it uncomfortably loud with either pair using the 3602 amps, and the -10 lights weren't even going off.  All three boxes are pretty efficient, especially considering their size-well maybe with the exception of the Orbit Shifter subs, but for what they are, they aren't very large or heavy.

The Noesis Jeff brought have 90x60 horns.  Very nice coverage, minimal comb effect for the design-low crossover point helps there. 

The SM80 hit the balcony better, IMO.  Not really surprised there with the Synergy horn effect in play.  The Noesis were fine though.  Considering that we had all the speakers on the floor in front of the stage(albeit on stands or on top of the subs), balcony coverage should improve nicely when used up on the stage at each downstage corner as I normally do.

Neither is a heavy cabinet, but the Noesis are 15lbs. lighter at 50lbs.  The SM80 is right about at my limit for muscling a cabinet up onto an Ultimate type stand.

So, for me, it was a Noesis day this time around.  The SM80 is the 4th or 5th model in the current lineup I've listened to in person-the SM60 and SH50 are still my benchmark for me and my needs in Danley products.  For now, Jeff's Noesis get the nod, and I'll be using them next weekend and perhaps for a spell after that if anyone is interested.

Best regards,

John

Rick Powell

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:57:33 PM »

Thanks for the report, John.  Two great and unconventional speakers (I haven't heard the Noesis, but own a pair of JTR Triple 8's as well as the SM 80's).  For the SM 80's we never try to mount them on a pole with one person, my son and I (or he and one of his helpers) always do a 2 man lift.  The older I get, the more interested I get in loud, quality and LIGHT! and the Noesis certainly fit that description.  BTW, my son got a last minute call to do sound tonight, and without the SM 80's in our posession, he won't miss a beat by throwing the Triple 8's up on top of the subs.

John Halliburton

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »

Thanks for the report, John.  Two great and unconventional speakers (I haven't heard the Noesis, but own a pair of JTR Triple 8's as well as the SM 80's).  For the SM 80's we never try to mount them on a pole with one person, my son and I (or he and one of his helpers) always do a 2 man lift.  The older I get, the more interested I get in loud, quality and LIGHT! and the Noesis certainly fit that description.  BTW, my son got a last minute call to do sound tonight, and without the SM 80's in our posession, he won't miss a beat by throwing the Triple 8's up on top of the subs.

I agree, as far as output, they are all surprisingly even.
And I agree, light becomes more important each passing year.

Best regards,

John

Robert Patch

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 10:10:47 PM »

So, for me, it was a Noesis day this time around. 

Wow!  Jeff owes you dinner.

Mario Data

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »

Nice review John! I was very curious about these.  Wish I could have attended.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 24 queries.