ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personal Monitor Mixers  (Read 4061 times)

Jacob Robinson

Personal Monitor Mixers
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:57:54 AM »

In an effort to reduce our stage volume I am looking into getting some personal monitor mixers for our band.  Our current wedges are tired and need replacing, so instead of spending the money on new wedges I was thinking about going with Personal Mixers and earphones.

So I am wondering what our best option is.  Our budget is tight so the three options I am looking at are:

1. Elite Core PM16
2. Behringer Powerplay System
3.  Used older Aviom system

We currently have a Yamaha LS9, but both of our card slots are already taken by remote stage boxes.  This means that I will not be using a card to interface with the monitor system, it will be old fashioned direct outs to an A to D input box.

I am really leaning towards the Behringer or Elite Core simply because of the question sound and durability of the older Avioms.  What is your experience?

Thanks for the help,
Jake

Kyle Leonard

• Bozeman, MT
    • Enlightened Events
Re: Personal Monitor Mixers
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:49:22 AM »

Have you considered HearBack. Our church uses it and we have been very satisfied.

Kyle

Mark Long

• Dayton, OH
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:54:45 PM »

In an effort to reduce our stage volume I am looking into getting some personal monitor mixers for our band.  Our current wedges are tired and need replacing, so instead of spending the money on new wedges I was thinking about going with Personal Mixers and earphones.

So I am wondering what our best option is.  Our budget is tight so the three options I am looking at are:

1. Elite Core PM16
2. Behringer Powerplay System
3.  Used older Aviom system

We currently have a Yamaha LS9, but both of our card slots are already taken by remote stage boxes.  This means that I will not be using a card to interface with the monitor system, it will be old fashioned direct outs to an A to D input box.

I am really leaning towards the Behringer or Elite Core simply because of the question sound and durability of the older Avioms.  What is your experience?

Thanks for the help,
Jake
I've used the above three plus put in a Hearback system at an old church of mine. I'd go with the Behringer due to features and cost. Audio quality is better IMO than the Aviom and you can buy a spares due to the low price. I'm at a church now that uses the Elite Core now and I'm not in love and I don't know why. I know that their gain structure isn't the best and that may be part of the issue, but I have a hard time getting a good mix(I play guitar some Sundays and run sound on others).

I would not go with Hearback unless you get a GREAT deal on a used one and only need 8 channels. They were great at the time I bought it since we couldn't afford Aviom, but they haven't updated or brought out new products since we bought them 6-8 years ago(maybe more). I also had the power supplies in the hubs go out multiple(4-5) times. They supposedly went to a better supply, but we still had the hubs flake out. That church finally upgraded to Behringer when they bought an x32. I was a guest player there about a month ago and it sounded very good.     

George Dougherty

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »

I've used the above three plus put in a Hearback system at an old church of mine. I'd go with the Behringer due to features and cost. Audio quality is better IMO than the Aviom and you can buy a spares due to the low price. I'm at a church now that uses the Elite Core now and I'm not in love and I don't know why. I know that their gain structure isn't the best and that may be part of the issue, but I have a hard time getting a good mix(I play guitar some Sundays and run sound on others).

I would not go with Hearback unless you get a GREAT deal on a used one and only need 8 channels. They were great at the time I bought it since we couldn't afford Aviom, but they haven't updated or brought out new products since we bought them 6-8 years ago(maybe more). I also had the power supplies in the hubs go out multiple(4-5) times. They supposedly went to a better supply, but we still had the hubs flake out. That church finally upgraded to Behringer when they bought an x32. I was a guest player there about a month ago and it sounded very good.   

+1. Avioms were nice, but the distribution hub is a pain on the older systems you'd find used. Individual power supplies required for every mixer output.
Hearback is too limited for any kind of growth. They're okay but I'd almost have to be given one to go that route.

The Behringer is inexpensive but I was very impressed with the build quality of the mixers. They feel solid and make the older Avioms appear like toys. Sound quality on the units I've helped install has been very good.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »

How many personal mixers do you need?  Some systems become inexpensive at higher numbers like 10
Not to Code

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:15:10 PM »

I really like the Elite Core but nothings recallable so some musicians dont like them.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »

Our favorite is the A&H.  40ch, many inputs including Dante, ambient Mic, scribble strips.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »

We're currently using the Behringer P16s and are very happy with them.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 10:57:34 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.