ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for new interface with reliability  (Read 2954 times)

peter dakin

Looking for new interface with reliability
« on: September 02, 2014, 05:06:40 AM »

I've had m-boxes since they came out, with the initial versions being quite robust. I've been tied to digidesign/avid due to wanting to keep my hand in with ProTools, however I've recently been through two interfaces in as many years, every time failing when out of warranty; enough is enough.

Soundcard will be used solely for Live audio measurements in conjunction with Smaart.

Any recommendations? I don't need masses of inputs, 2-4 (with 2 xlr) is more than enough, however BUS power is essential.

A USBpre2 would be lovely, but at $1100 over here in UK, far too expensive, no matter how tough it is.
I've had MOTU recommended to me, however a little bit more research shows mixed reliability issues.

As I've had so many failures, I'm tempted to go more down the disposable route and get one of the focusrite scarlet interfaces.

Thoughts appreciated.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Looking for new interface with reliability
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:18:31 AM »

I am happily using the smaart i-o a couple if shows a week with no problems

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 06:22:55 AM »

I have been very happy with the Tascam US-122.  Have two, know failures.  $50 on the used market.  I do not use the RA measurement software but I do use it for measurement and tuning.

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:47:59 AM »

I will go out on a limb here-and probably catch crap for it, but here goes.

Lately I have been using the "cough cough" Behringer UMC202 and UMC404 for my interface where I need something small to carry around.

My sound devices USB pres stopped working after I did a video upgrade-yeah weird.

Both units work great-just plug them in and go.  No software-no mess-no fuss-they just work.

And they are cheap and appear to be built well.  They have all the features I need for measurement.

Flame suit on, but my opinion still stands.

If you use the internal loopback in Smart you can get 2 or 4 mic measurements.  However the delay times will appear to be off-due to the difference in arrival times to Smart-but no big deal there.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

I have been very happy with the Tascam US-122.  Have two, know failures.  $50 on the used market.  I do not use the RA measurement software but I do use it for measurement and tuning.

I use a US-144 MKII. No issues yet.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 09:37:05 AM »

That should have been no failures.

If the 144 also has phantom power and the nice preamps then It would be a better choice.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

John durisko

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:43 AM »

I have been using a Presonus firebox for about 8 years and it works... However, I just bought a new macbook and it doesn't have FireWire. I figured I'd take a look around at other devices. Just yesterday I got my paws on a focusrite Scarlett 2i2. So far I like it just a wee bit better than the firebox. I'll be taking it to its first show tomorrow. I'll try to remember to check back in with results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peter dakin

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »

I have been using a Presonus firebox for about 8 years and it works... However, I just bought a new macbook and it doesn't have FireWire. I figured I'd take a look around at other devices. Just yesterday I got my paws on a focusrite Scarlett 2i2. So far I like it just a wee bit better than the firebox. I'll be taking it to its first show tomorrow. I'll try to remember to check back in with results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went for a Saffire pro14 in the end; good price, i/o options I was after and i/o on the back for loop through reference signals.
I bought the last Macbook model to have firewire, so this seemed a logical choice, as free's up the USB slots for other usages (iLocks and Licenses).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 09:09:21 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.