ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flickering led lights when changing scenes  (Read 4859 times)

Carlos Graff

Flickering led lights when changing scenes
« on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:09 PM »

Ok - changed my handle to my actual name, so here goes again…

I have a dozen LED lights, each with 7 5-way bulbs (rgbaw) I bought on eBay from Tornado Lighting, and Elation DMX Operator 192 controller, and I am using some wireless transmitter/recievers I bought also on eBay.  All stage cables are DMX.

When fading to a new scene the lights will flicker through a bunch of different colors until they reach the correct color.  If I set up the scene changes to be immediate this does not happen.  I sometime will use the lights on the internal auto-fade program and they work just fine - I only have this problem when using the controller.

I am very new to the whole DMX scene, and this system is my first since I sold off my old Par cans and dimmers.  Any help would be appreciated!

Jano Svitok

• SR Forums
  • Bratislava, Slovakia
    • zvukari.sk
Re: Flickering led lights when changing scenes
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:27:27 AM »

First, tt may be useful if you can post link to manual of your lights.
Second, how do you program your scenes? Do you manually choose RGBAW values or do you use preprogrammed colors?
In the latter case, the fade is obviously going through all the colors between start and target color. You may (partially) avoid it by using R/G/B/A/W channels directly.

I haven't found a way to exclude a channel from fading in your elation controller, but I advise you to check the manual yourself.

Brian Lemmon

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 04:04:22 PM »

Carlos, I have the exact same problem using a basic Elation DMX Operator. I'm running the lights hardwired. I haven't found out how to solve the problem except to have the fade time set to the minimum. It also seems like it doesn't always flicker through all the colors. I think when I stay within a bank it fades smoothly but if I'm changing banks then it flickers. I'm not really sure under what circumstances it has the problem. Sometimes it changes fine and sometimes it doesn't. If the fade time is set to minimum then there is never a problem but it would be nice to have it switch scenes a little lower. Curious to see if anyone else has any input.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:15 PM »

I am very new to the whole DMX scene, and this system is my first since I sold off my old Par cans and dimmers.  Any help would be appreciated!
Carlos,

Are you using a terminating resistor in the last light in the series chain?
If not, do, and report back whether it cures the problem.

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »

+1 on Jano's suggestion. In addition, the "Operator" class of controllers are not very smooth using the Fade function.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Carlos Graff

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 12:46:07 AM »

Carlos,

Are you using a terminating resistor in the last light in the series chain?
If not, do, and report back whether it cures the problem.

Yes, I have terminators that I use at the end of the chain

Carlos Graff

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47:40 AM »

Carlos, I have the exact same problem using a basic Elation DMX Operator. I'm running the lights hardwired. I haven't found out how to solve the problem except to have the fade time set to the minimum. It also seems like it doesn't always flicker through all the colors. I think when I stay within a bank it fades smoothly but if I'm changing banks then it flickers. I'm not really sure under what circumstances it has the problem. Sometimes it changes fine and sometimes it doesn't. If the fade time is set to minimum then there is never a problem but it would be nice to have it switch scenes a little lower. Curious to see if anyone else has any input.

Same thing here.  I solved the problem at one gig by removing a couple of movers from the chain.  Last gig I didn't use the movers but the flickering problem was back.

Carlos Graff

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 12:48:38 AM »

First, tt may be useful if you can post link to manual of your lights.
Second, how do you program your scenes? Do you manually choose RGBAW values or do you use preprogrammed colors?
In the latter case, the fade is obviously going through all the colors between start and target color. You may (partially) avoid it by using R/G/B/A/W channels directly.

I haven't found a way to exclude a channel from fading in your elation controller, but I advise you to check the manual yourself.

I always set my own colors using the channels.

Carlos Graff

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »

+1 on Jano's suggestion. In addition, the "Operator" class of controllers are not very smooth using the Fade function.

Interesting… maybe I should find a buddy with a different type of controller and see if the problem persists or not using his controller.   This would be the best result barring a quick fix (I've got a lot more invested in the lights than the controller!)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:36 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 23 queries.