ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DOD RTA advice needed  (Read 12567 times)

James Deni

DOD RTA advice needed
« on: September 01, 2014, 07:52:03 PM »

I have been looking for a way to effectively set up an equalizer I'm installing in my home system. Today I impulsively purchased a DOD RTA on ebay - then realized it does not come with a microphone. The owner's manual states the calibrated microphone that comes with the unit (again - none with this used unit) must be used and plugged into the front panel - it says that other microphones may sustain damage if plugged into the unit. Is this because of a special configuration they are using, or can I actually use another RTA mic on the unit?

Jim Deni

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
Re: DOD RTA advice needed
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:23:13 PM »

Jim Deni

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section.

Craig
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »

I have been looking for a way to effectively set up an equalizer I'm installing in my home system. Today I impulsively purchased a DOD RTA on ebay - then realized it does not come with a microphone. The owner's manual states the calibrated microphone that comes with the unit (again - none with this used unit) must be used and plugged into the front panel - it says that other microphones may sustain damage if plugged into the unit. Is this because of a special configuration they are using, or can I actually use another RTA mic on the unit?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This unit is similar to Rane's RA 30, it has a brand specific powered mic (Rane takes 1 or 2 volts?), of course you can use the aux mic input in the back, but it look like you will need a phantom power source in between the mic and RTA, as measurement mics are condensers (with the exception of battery powered mics). The RA 30 does not provide power and the DOD RTA's manual does not specify, so it is likely it does not.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:31 AM »

With the 4 or 5 LED display the resolution is quite poor on these units.  They are fun eye candy, useful (sorta) for finding feedback quickly.  They make great rack fillers.

Wish you had asked us first.

I can't say enough for TrueRTA, get at least the level 2 license.  You can calibrate your MIC and with an inexpensive sound level meter, calibrate the generator.  It's a serious tool and will lead you down the path of testing systems and loudspeakers.

You can pick up decent measurement microphones for $40 on eBay.

Also you will need a USB interface with phantom power for the measurement MIC.  I recommend the Tascam's.  Again, under $60 on Flea Bay

Good luck!

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Merlijn van Veen

• www.merlijnvanveen.nl
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »

I'd like to point out that a Real Time Analyzer can't tell time and polarity, doesn't have the required resolution to discern tonal phenomena from spatial and potentially echo phenomena, doesn't exclude reverberant energy and can't discern noise from signal.

But maybe that suffices for a home system.

RTA's are easy to operate and don't require education. Unfortunately they also provide low quality data.

If you're thinking of spending money, consider a dual-channel FFT analyzer like Smaart, do a seminar and develop a skill set while simultaneously optimizing your home system.

My 2p
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:45:14 PM by Merlijn van Veen »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »

I'd like to point out that a Real Time Analyzer can't tell time and polarity, doesn't have the required resolution to discern tonal phenomena from spatial and potentially echo phenomena, doesn't exclude reverberant energy and can't discern noise from signal.

But maybe that suffices for a home system.

RTA's are easy to operate and don't require education. Unfortunate they also provide low quality data.

If you're thinking of spending money, consider in a dual-channel FFT analyzer like Smaart, do a seminar and develop a skill set while simultaneously optimizing your home system.

My 2p

RTA doesn't, SMAART does but costs a bit and requires a good bit of study.

I still use EARS.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »

Room EQ wizard is a good entry level free tool to home theater enthusiasts.   Look on the home theater shack forums.  Buy a calibrated mic from parts express, and you will be set to start to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »

Room EQ wizard is a good entry level free tool to home theater enthusiasts.   Look on the home theater shack forums.  Buy a calibrated mic from parts express, and you will be set to start to learn.

What does that tell you that your ears can't?

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »

My perspective is this: most people, maybe even the OP, who buy an eq for their home are trying to fix something their ears perceive to be wrong.  If they fiddle with it and it sounds good to them, great.  The OP had bought an RtA, so perhaps he is trying to get a greater understanding of what is going on. A free tool that shows impulse response and phase, let's him make multiple measurements and plot them, etc, is going to help him 'see' what he is hearing much more than a 5 segment led RTA.  Everyone learns differently, and visuals help some people.

For example, If you can hear phase/alignment issues and correct them without any tools but your ears, good for you, not everyone can. 

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

My perspective is this: most people, maybe even the OP, who buy an eq for their home are trying to fix something their ears perceive to be wrong.  If they fiddle with it and it sounds good to them, great.  The OP had bought an RtA, so perhaps he is trying to get a greater understanding of what is going on. A free tool that shows impulse response and phase, let's him make multiple measurements and plot them, etc, is going to help him 'see' what he is hearing much more than a 5 segment led RTA.  Everyone learns differently, and visuals help some people.

For example, If you can hear phase/alignment issues and correct them without any tools but your ears, good for you, not everyone can. 

And just how does an RTA show phase and alignment?

It doesn't...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 11:12:53 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.