ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: This will trip a properly wired breaker, right?  (Read 12072 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Re: This will trip a properly wired breaker, right?
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 08:19:06 PM »

That is correct-it is a 2 pole breaker using a single handle.  No worries about not tripping both poles as necessary!
Steve Swaffer

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 08:23:26 PM »

I want to clear up a technical error in the above. In multipole (IE: 2+ poles) circuit breakers there is an internal connection of the individual pole trip units to the other poles' trip units. A trip on any pole will trip all connected trip units (a rotating non-conductive pin, usually, only visible in 'demo' units that have a cutaway or clear side). Some DIN mount types allow access to this link, most do not.

An example you are sure to be familiar with: Square D QO (and QOB) breakers have only 1 handle, no matter how many poles they switch. They do offer handle ties for single pole units but there is no guarantee that tripping one pole will also switch the connected unit off.

HTH,
Jeff Robinson

Golly guys.... I was only speaking in generalities that there's a mechanical connection between the 2 or 3 poles, so that when one trips, they all trip. Yes, there are both internal and external ways to do this, but I was only making the point that there's no electrical connections between the poles in a multi-pole breaker, only a mechanical connection that forces them ALL to trip.

This is a tough room, isn't it?  ;D

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:30 PM »

Golly guys.... I was only speaking in generalities that there's a mechanical connection between the 2 or 3 poles, so that when one trips, they all trip. Yes, there are both internal and external ways to do this, but I was only making the point that there's no electrical connections between the poles in a multi-pole breaker, only a mechanical connection that forces them ALL to trip.

Hey, I had your back!!  :D
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Mike Sokol

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:46 PM »

Hey, I had your back!!  :D

Yes you did. Thanks...  :)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2014, 09:17:20 AM »

This room, more than any other, needs to be tough.  Lives are on the line!

frank

Mike Sokol

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 09:28:01 AM »

This room, more than any other, needs to be tough.  Lives are on the line!

+1: They are indeed...  8)

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »

I just discovered the dual pole breaker for my well pump was missing the gang wire. But I've got bigger problems. The entire main panel of my house is a Zinsco panel, aka "burn your house down" panel. Apparently their breakers have a reputation for overheating and sometimes starting fires due to a design flaw. No longer made and for good reason.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Mike Sokol

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »

I just discovered the dual pole breaker for my well pump was missing the gang wire. But I've got bigger problems. The entire main panel of my house is a Zinsco panel, aka "burn your house down" panel. Apparently their breakers have a reputation for overheating and sometimes starting fires due to a design flaw. No longer made and for good reason.

Sounds like a lot of fun. See below:

Damage Created by Zinsco Panels
The Panels Produce Hazardous Situations

Zinsco panels may seem to work properly for years. But experts warn that these panels may present numerous problems and even hazards if and when they fail. In fact, one expert warns that as many as 25% of all Zinsco circuit breakers could fail to trip in response to an overcurrent or short circuit and create a possible hazardous situation.

Problems with certain Zinsco panels cannot be seen by the naked eye. Even after the cover of Zinsco panels has been removed, everything can seem to be in fine working order. Upon exploring its components, electricians find that breakers cannot be removed from the bus bar. They’ve welded together, which indicates that the breakers have melted. In that condition, a breaker would be unable to trip and may be allowing an unsafe amount of electricity into the home! This could lead to a potential fire.

Please, do not attempt to remove breakers from your own panel to see if they’ve melted. Only licensed electricians should. Zinsco panels can be electrical shock risks; they can appear to be shut off but are still conducting electricity!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 08:17:08 PM »

Double whammy - my home's original panel is a Magnetrip (rebadged Zinsco).  When the basement was added the Zinsco became a sub panel and a new service was installed:  Federal Pacific.

Oy veh.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »

Double whammy - my home's original panel is a Magnetrip (rebadged Zinsco).  When the basement was added the Zinsco became a sub panel and a new service was installed:  Federal Pacific.

Oy veh.

Federal Pacific makes 3Ø panels with cams? Cos I'd expect nothing less at your house. :-D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.