ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Self powered subwoofer solutions?  (Read 7536 times)

Jordan McLaughlin

• Jordan McLaughlin
Self powered subwoofer solutions?
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »

Hello PSW. Sorry for the noob post but I didn't know where else to look as information on the things I'm considering are scarce or unreliable, hence why I thought "why not ask the audiophiles?". Now I'm far from an audiophile so don't judge my choice of surround sound speakers. I bought a set of Sony muteki HTM77 7.2 surround sound speakers a few months ago and as I upgraded from a set of 7 year old (but fairly high quality) 2.1 stereo speakers They ticked the boxes for me as I use them for loud party music and Surround sound gaming and movies. Although the subs are room shaking, after regular use I'm starting to want something with more grunt (I love my bass) that I can add on to my fairly good (for me at least) sound system. I'm looking for a self powered sub that can slam lower frequencies of at least 20hz with little db loss (preferably 15hz but my budget isn't to high) (my current ones fully kick in at around 45hz) that can shake my room and get even louder than my current ones. My budget allows for the sub to be 2000$ max. Preferably I'd like them to be big (I know size doesn't matter but I like the look) and volume and a high frequency range is essential. If your going to diss my lack of knowledge please don't reply. Thank you :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Self powered subwoofer solutions?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 11:17:22 AM »

Hello PSW. Sorry for the noob post but I didn't know where else to look as information on the things I'm considering are scarce or unreliable, hence why I thought "why not ask the audiophiles?". Now I'm far from an audiophile so don't judge my choice of surround sound speakers. I bought a set of Sony muteki HTM77 7.2 surround sound speakers a few months ago and as I upgraded from a set of 7 year old (but fairly high quality) 2.1 stereo speakers They ticked the boxes for me as I use them for loud party music and Surround sound gaming and movies. Although the subs are room shaking, after regular use I'm starting to want something with more grunt (I love my bass) that I can add on to my fairly good (for me at least) sound system. I'm looking for a self powered sub that can slam lower frequencies of at least 20hz with little db loss (preferably 15hz but my budget isn't to high) (my current ones fully kick in at around 45hz) that can shake my room and get even louder than my current ones. My budget allows for the sub to be 2000$ max. Preferably I'd like them to be big (I know size doesn't matter but I like the look) and volume and a high frequency range is essential. If your going to diss my lack of knowledge please don't reply. Thank you :)

You needed worry about being dissed for knowledge, that's apparent.   What I am astounded by is your "pay attention".  On every page, when you signed up etc. you were told we require real names and you missed that.  Then you just blindly post in the LAB (live audio board), clearly you didn't read some threads before posting.  Isn't that the norm?

Even in our lounge this is not a hobbyist forum and it certainly is not about home audio.  The LAB is where the live audio touring engineers hang out.  So you did the online equivalent of walking onto one of the sound control areas backstage at a Metallica concert and asked the engineer what subs to buy. 

These forums are for working/retired professionals in the live sound industry.  Not home audio.  Where did you get that from.

If you possibly are thinking about getting a commercial subwoofer, don't waste your money.  They are designed to be loud in big spaces.  They sound awful or don't work at all in small spaces.

I suggest you find a forum of like minded folks.

That's it...Have a good holiday.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

Jordan, I suggest you try www.hometheatershack.com  You'll find lots of practical advice, suggestions, and like-minded home audio folks, albeit with a leaning toward movies and video presentation.

My only question - why must "party music" require that guests shout over it to be heard?  Just wondering as I've never figured it out.  Same thing with restaurants - if I can't hear my dining companions over the foreground/background music and general "roar" of the room, we're leaving. /rant
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:09:46 PM »

Jordan,

Welcome.  This is the wrong forum altogether for Home Audio questions.  This forum is strictly for professional live audio in applications such as concerts, touring, installed venues, houses of worship, etc. 

That being said, here's a HT sub that will play to 16hz  and is well within your budget. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:16:05 PM »

1) I bought a set of Sony muteki HTM77 7.2 surround sound speakers a few months ago and as I upgraded from a set of 7 year old (but fairly high quality) 2.1 stereo speakers They ticked the boxes for me as I use them for loud party music and Surround sound gaming and movies.

2)I'm looking for a self powered sub that can slam lower frequencies of at least 20hz with little db loss (preferably 15hz but my budget isn't to high) (my current ones fully kick in at around 45hz) that can shake my room and get even louder than my current ones. My budget allows for the sub to be 2000$ max. Preferably I'd like them to be big (I know size doesn't matter but I like the look) and volume and a high frequency range is essential.
Jordan,

1) I don't find any SPL output specs for the Sony Muteki HTM77, but at the system price, the sealed 12" probably don't put out much low bass. If you can find one around used, the Mackie HRS 120 is a really good sub, and actually does -3 dB at 19 Hz, it has enough SPL to make my control room walls flap.

2) Size does matter, both in terms of displacement (linear excursion times cone area) as well as cabinet size, larger cabinets make more output with less power possible. Don't know what you mean by "a high frequency range is essential" you have plenty of stuff in your surround system to cover the high frequency range.

At $2000, you will get a lot more output building it yourself, DataBass http://www.data-bass.com/home
 has a lot of examples to choose from, and compares them to some commercially available subs.

Art

Richard Turner

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »

RCF 4PRO 8003-AS 1000W Active
RCF SUB 718-AS 700W Active

both are within the top of your budget and in a confined space would produce bass at nauseating levels and would be self contained units, self powerd and processed
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »

RCF 4PRO 8003-AS 1000W Active
RCF SUB 718-AS 700W Active

both are within the top of your budget and in a confined space would produce bass at nauseating levels and would be self contained units, self powerd and processed
While most home theater guys are looking for loud bass-they are often more interested in low freq extension.  20Hz and often down into single digits is "the goal".

Just because a  cabinet would be loud in the room-does not mean it will give the results that they are looking for.

Very often a nice deep even response is preferred over sheer loudness.  Unless all you are looking for is "loud", then that can be just about anything.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

While most home theater guys are looking for loud bass-they are often more interested in low freq extension.  20Hz and often down into single digits is "the goal".

Just because a  cabinet would be loud in the room-does not mean it will give the results that they are looking for.

Very often a nice deep even response is preferred over sheer loudness.  Unless all you are looking for is "loud", then that can be just about anything.

My first exposure to Danley was when they sold the plans (and kits if I recall) for what I considered the ultimate home theater sub.  I thought about Danley/Ivan as soon as I read the post.  It just didn't seem like the right place and the post wasn't very credible.

A DTS10 or 20 will be part of my next home theater redo.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 07:55:56 PM »

My first exposure to Danley was when they sold the plans (and kits if I recall) for what I considered the ultimate home theater sub.  I thought about Danley/Ivan as soon as I read the post.  It just didn't seem like the right place and the post wasn't very credible.

A DTS10 or 20 will be part of my next home theater redo.
Yes we did the DTS10 as a kit a couple of times.  But I doubt we will do it again.

You have NO IDEA how many people think that just because it is a kit they can DIY-even if they don't know the difference between a screw and a piece of wire. 

The DTS10s are also used in commercial installs. 

We also have several guys that have more than one in their bedrooms.  One guy has a pair under his bed (guess why :))

Some guys have finished them in simply beautiful ways.  THOSE are the guys the kits were intended for.  NOT the guy who have never done anything with wood before.

We had people try to put them together without any glue and they wonder why the cabinets buzz---------------------  I won't go on about the other issues people had.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »

Yes we did the DTS10 as a kit a couple of times.  But I doubt we will do it again.

You have NO IDEA how many people think that just because it is a kit they can DIY-even if they don't know the difference between a screw and a piece of wire. 

The DTS10s are also used in commercial installs. 

We also have several guys that have more than one in their bedrooms.  One guy has a pair under his bed (guess why :))

Some guys have finished them in simply beautiful ways.  THOSE are the guys the kits were intended for.  NOT the guy who have never done anything with wood before.

We had people try to put them together without any glue and they wonder why the cabinets buzz---------------------  I won't go on about the other issues people had.

I can only imagine, you probably had to provide more support than if you built it yourself.

Maybe a knowledge test is in order.

Additionally, the sub would never end up in my bedroom, it's bad enough stuff she uses in the house as to pass the Spousal Technology Acceptance Factor (still working on the scale, I will get back to you on this) but in our bedroom we try not to bring tech, there is a 42" panel TV, but it is generally on in the morning.

Anyway, my theater is dedicated and the next upgrade is going to be a platform from the front seating rearward and I want to integrate the subs in with that project so I would fall into the finisher/integrator category. 

So if you would ever sell a couple of kits I would be glad to have any competency check administered that you deem necessary.   Additionally , any normal person would email any clarification requests for construction technique.  Who the heck calls and wastes peoples time like that?

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 03:07:22 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.