ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: AES3 Distribution  (Read 9998 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
AES3 Distribution
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:33:03 PM »

I have been searching for an elegant way to distribute AES3 signals to multiple racks of iTechHD amplifiers for a production company I freelance for. After much searching the best solution I have come across is Soundweb Boxes loaded with digital in and out cards. With some preliminary investigation I feel that I can make a product that can solve my specific needs and be much more affordable, but would involve having a PCB made, custom chassis, etc. Am I the only person that is unhappy with the current AES3 distribution solutions? Is AES3 completely irrelevant with now with Dante?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: AES3 Distribution
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:37:56 PM »

I have been searching for an elegant way to distribute AES3 signals to multiple racks of iTechHD amplifiers for a production company I freelance for. After much searching the best solution I have come across is Soundweb Boxes loaded with digital in and out cards. With some preliminary investigation I feel that I can make a product that can solve my specific needs and be much more affordable, but would involve having a PCB made, custom chassis, etc. Am I the only person that is unhappy with the current AES3 distribution solutions? Is AES3 completely irrelevant with now with Dante?

So are you simply looking for an AES D/A, or do you need to take several 2-channel streams, and mix/combine for different zones?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:41:16 PM »

I need a flexible DA, which can take in at least four 2-channel streams, and have four 2 channel outputs which can be selectable from any of the four inputs... And also offer a pass through.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:59:38 PM »

I need a flexible DA, which can take in at least four 2-channel streams, and have four 2 channel outputs which can be selectable from any of the four inputs... And also offer a pass through.

As long as you're not trying to strip a channel from a 2 channel stream (mix/combine signals) and it's more of a patch bay route, Z-systems makes an 8x8 AES/EBU router.

http://www.z-sys.com/pp_routing.html

Or if you want to go the used route, try ebay.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »

Look at what you will need them for from an ambient temperature standpoint.  None of the BSS devices are rated for more than 95 degrees Fahrenheit ambient.  I use BSS quite a bit but the ambient temperature issue has forced me to use other products when I would rather stay in products that are all Audio Architect compatible.
Another option for active distribution with some DSP capability would be Ashly Ne series processors.  You could also look at passive splitting from Sonifex or ETS.  I have used both and both work well for passive needs.

http://www.sonifex.co.uk/redbox/rbaes4x3_ld.shtml

http://www.markertek.com/Audio-Equipment/Audio-Interface/Audio-Splitters/Energy-Transformation-Systems/PA830.xhtml

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »

I looked at many of these options, and they all leave me wanting more. Also, in terms of elegance, I am wanting a box that I can use as a breakout with Shielded cat5 being the main transport wire. The cat5 would loop from rack to rack with this box buffering the loop through and providing selectable outputs in the rack.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 06:16:02 PM »

I looked at many of these options, and they all leave me wanting more. Also, in terms of elegance, I am wanting a box that I can use as a breakout with Shielded cat5 being the main transport wire. The cat5 would loop from rack to rack with this box buffering the loop through and providing selectable outputs in the rack.

What is it that you want to transport via the shielded Cat5?
AES, Dante, Cobranet, BLU-Link, etc.?

Are you wanting a network protocol, a proprietary protocol or a simple AES over wire with no protocol conversion?

Lee

Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »

The plan would be to stay AES thought the entire chain, while utilizing the benefits of cat5 cable.

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:15 PM »

The plan would be to stay AES thought the entire chain, while utilizing the benefits of cat5 cable.

There is no networked AES protocol that I am aware of.
You can transport AES-3 quite a reasonable distance over Cat5.  It does not need to be shielded unless you have concerns about radiating noise from the Cat5.  It gives you a pair of audio channels (1AES channel) for each twisted pair of wires.  A single Cat5 will carry 8 audio channels at up to 24bit, 96kHz.  If you passively split then distances will decrease due to the voltage reduction in passing through the transformers. 
The particular cable used will have a significant effect on the maximum length which can be used.  I have routinely used runs at 96kHz, 24 bit that are 300' or more.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
AES3 Distribution
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »

Right. I guess my question was not really how to do it... I already have that part down.  More along the lines of if a 1RU rack mount DA/router using Cat5 as the main transport, with four assignable XLR AES outputs, and a cat5 pass through would be something useful to the masses. Is AES still a relevant protocol... To anyone not using iTechHDs?

Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

AES3 Distribution
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.