ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Swivel Casters  (Read 6054 times)

Rufus Crowder

Swivel Casters
« on: August 29, 2014, 05:33:23 PM »

What kind of 4" swivel caster is everyone using these days?  I had been using guitel 4" blue swivel casters that have worked really well but I cannot seem to find them anymore. 

Are there others that are just as good?

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
Re: Swivel Casters
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:06:38 PM »

What kind of 4" swivel caster is everyone using these days?  I had been using guitel 4" blue swivel casters that have worked really well but I cannot seem to find them anymore. 

For cheapies, these have been pretty good:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Polyurethane-Wheel-Swivel-Plate-Caster-4-Dia-Wheel-x-1-1-4-Wide-/400568985376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d43c5a720

They have many of the standard configurations and colors available.

Of course, the Colsons are still the best, and they carry them as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Colson-Swivel-Caster-Polyurethane-4-x-1-1-4-Wheel-325-Capcity-2-4256-95-/400264483639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d319f5337

Also, Great Lakes Caster is a big Colson distributer, and their pricing is very good:

http://www.greatlakescaster.com/colson_caster_corporation___swivel_caster___4_x_1_14_polyurethane_hi_tech_swivel_caster_with_delrin_bearing-2.04256.91.php?cat=206

Best regards,

John

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

Hey John how are you?

I go along with the Colsons, and that link you posted has one of the better prices I've seen. FYI, I bought a bunch of 4" casters at HD a few months ago. The price was around $9ea., and the quality was excellent. If you don't have time to go mail order you might try HD also.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »

Hey John how are you?

I go along with the Colsons, and that link you posted has one of the better prices I've seen. FYI, I bought a bunch of 4" casters at HD a few months ago. The price was around $9ea., and the quality was excellent. If you don't have time to go mail order you might try HD also.

I also have gotten some decent casters at Harbor Freight.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Robinson

• audio gods
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »

I have called myself a wheel snob for a while, but there is nothing worse than a busted, or stuck caster on a heavy road case...

I have used colson casters for a while now on everything, and have spent the extra money for the Ball bearing version. Great lakes is a great source for them.

Recently Penn Elcom has started making a grey wheel that is very similar to the colson with all ball bearings that is half the price. I have been using them for the last 6 months on my new projects and I am loving them.

Just a note that you have to spend at least $100 per order with Penn-elcom, but if you need 16 wheels, or some other hardware for your cases, it should not be too difficult to hit the minimum.

John Halliburton

• Still has hair and white pointy beard...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »

Hey John how are you?

Bob, I'm doing pretty well thanks, and hope you are as well.  Save some chowdah for me, okay? ;>)

When push comes to shove, I'd always go with the Colson casters, they are the standard.  Heavy trunks get the 4"x2" versions, but the 1 1/4" wide versions are pretty common on racks and dollies. 

Great Lakes has been a very good distributor for many years, they have among their customers a couple of highly regarded road case companies based here.  The online ordering is easy too.

And the usual:  I'm just a satisfied customer, no affiliation.

Best regards,

John

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

I've got a handful of the Guitel blue casters that have been going strong for about ten years. Never had a problem with them. I found some blue casters at home depot that I decided to use about six years ago. Guess what. They are also still going strong. The heaviest box they carry is about 325#, and I have several of those boxes. The casters are Shepherd 9260. You can usually find them on Ebay or Amazon for slightly cheaper than Home Depot (also, my home depot doesn't carry them any longer), usually about $10 each, plus shipping.

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17:50 AM »

Recently I've been using Penn Elcom and have been happy with them.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

randy amos

• SW Florida
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »

Okay, I'll be the one to sing the praises of Mark & Liz's casters over at Audiopile. I have several cases either bought from them or retrofitted with their casters, and no problems to date. They even have some of their older style casters on closeout right now.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Cases/Casters/BBT_CASTERS/BBT_Caster_cutsheet.shtml

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Cheap casters are simply a pain.  A broken one can ruin your day and put you in a bad mood.

The FIRST question is "What sort of weight are we talking about"?

It could be anywhere from 50lbs to half a ton or more.

VERY different casters and prices are involved here.

The "blue 4" are still available-it just depends on where you look.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.