ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?  (Read 48321 times)

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
Re: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:14:48 AM »

Thanks Tim and Art for your well-thought out replies.

I think that means I'll go with the res2 to start with. I do have my mind set on the end goal and now living mortgage-free, and with almost enough capital to start with the res cabs, 1 pair of F218 and appropriate amps + speaker management, I hope to be able to complete 2 dance stacks + monitors in about 2 years. I realise hiring it out and employing staff will be a bit of work but to be honest, this will be like an expensive hobby for me. I'm not going to go out buying $100k cars as I'm not that interested in them so this is what I've chosen to keen me happy and not turn into a boring old 9-5 dinner tv sleep repeat man until I'm ready to retire.

Back on topic.. I do realise that it won't sound complete until it is complete and also I will do my best to keep it under wraps until it is as well although I'm sure what I could buy with said capital should make a decent enough sound for me to be happy initially :)

Can I get an opinion on whether this order of purchase sounds like the best idea to have the most options to have a balanced sound during the time that I am adding items?

1. Res 2
2. F218
3. Infrabass
4. F215
5. DS10 /  Res 3 EH Evo x 2
6. F218

Then possibly DS15 depending on if I think there is enough control over the upper mid.

Here are the 3 most common Dance Stack options from the F1 website:

http://www.funktion-one.com/img/tech-drawings/DS_tech.png

I guess it's halfway in between the first and second ones.

Thanks again!

Does it have to be funktion one?

Given what you want to do, I'd think about 4 danley dbh218 subs and 2 sh96ho tops to round out a couple stacks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:49:41 AM »

Does it have to be funktion one?

Given what you want to do, I'd think about 4 danley dbh218 subs and 2 sh96ho tops to round out a couple stacks

I'm assuming that "presentation" is a big part of the equation here.  Of course, you could get better stuff and use a pile of dummy cabinets to make it look cool...

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Guy Graham

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »

I'm assuming that "presentation" is a big part of the equation here.  Of course, you could get better stuff and use a pile of dummy cabinets to make it look cool...

I'm sure part of the reason Funktion One have become so popular on what you Americans call the EDM scene, is their distinctive appearance that makes virtually any combination of F1 boxes which form a full spectrum system instantly recognizable.

The bold colours and styling are probably more significant than any special sonic properties, to have got this brand to the point where promoters of dance events are pleased to be able advertise F1 sound at their events on flyers, websites etc.

I don't know how common this is in the USA, but here punters seem to respond very positively to the Function One brand. It seems to form a kind of quasi quality assurance mark for sound quality, and I think the brand's up their with Technics and Pioneer in terms of acceptance and recognition by a significant proportion of fans of most kinds of dance music.

Hence I agree with Dick that the OP has chosen this brand for more than its sound quality. I suspect a smaller and less physically imposing Danley rig of equal or greater capability, would not satisfy the OP's objective.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:22:02 AM by Guy Graham »

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »

With a bit of orange paint, danley cabs have been making their presence in the electronic music scene heard and felt.  The punters like the horn look more than they like a pile of boxes.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2014, 08:27:09 AM »

With a bit of orange paint, danley cabs have been making their presence in the electronic music scene heard and felt.  The punters like the horn look more than they like a pile of boxes.

Yet it seems the OP prefers the large physical display and is enamored with complexity...not what I would call a solid business plan.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Guy Graham

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 08:40:25 AM »

As fashions do change, I could imagine that with some clever marketing Danley could make F1 kit passe on the UK scene.

I can imagine buzzwords like "synergy", "coherence" and "efficiency" whispered by converts educating the die-hard Funktion One folk, and another mixture of myth, marketing and fact would become common parlance on that scene.

Discovering something better than F1 may gain traction and perhaps even widespread acceptance. In my experience the dance music scene loves finding stuff with that elusive "exclusive" cool factor - and will happily turn facts into pseudo science via the Chinese whispers used to exchange information!

Rich Green

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »

As another guy said, F1 perhaps does have impressive marketing but it still performs well. Relate this in car terms and I'm sure you can think of loads of brands of cars that do the job well that have an inflated price tag to incorporate the cost of this marketing.

I don't particularly think there's anything wrong with that and it can be found in many different fields.

Yes, part of my reasoning to go with F1 is due to the fact it's imposing, looks good and is much more likely to get me rental because of that and the 'mystique' that surrounds it. I plan to use it myself when I put on events but at the same time, getting a bit of cash from rental is not something I am going to just ignore. The other part is that I've heard it before and liked what I heard apart from said missing punch. From what I can tell this can be remedied.

I'm not really sure why you think my plan is complex. Basically I'm saying I can't afford to buy 2 dance stacks plus amps, speaker management outright and it will take me time to build up to the point where I can rent it. In the meantime I don't think having 2 subs in my garage that I can't use is a great idea and I would like to be able to at least have parts of what my eventual goal is ticked off while still being able to have some quality sound.

You can't, as far as I know, have quality sound from just DS10  or just F218. I am no expert but I don't think anyone would disagree with me on that.

Because of that, I am asking for the best way to incorporate the resolution speakers initially so I have some nice gear at home that I can play around with and learn more about. Later they will be put to another use but for the meantime my questions were pretty simple;  Res 2 or res 4   and some qustions about the mid range options.

I would hate to think that every person who comes onto this forum with a similar type question is always told they're enamoured with the look only and they should buy another brand which is better. What is best I'm sure is objective in the same way as one guy will rate a lexus and another an audi.

Thanks to the first two guys who gave me solid replies and thanks in advance to anyone willing to further the discussion without going too far off topic. I will definitely take a look into danley products but as you say.. chinese whispers and pseudo science are most likely to bring about their downfall in the future too if that's how it works whenever someone starts to like a particular brand.

Yet it seems the OP prefers the large physical display and is enamored with complexity...not what I would call a solid business plan.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 09:02:15 AM »

I'm sure part of the reason Funktion One have become so popular on what you Americans call the EDM scene, is their distinctive appearance that makes virtually any combination of F1 boxes which form a full spectrum system instantly recognizable.

The bold colours and styling are probably more significant than any special sonic properties, to have got this brand to the point where promoters of dance events are pleased to be able advertise F1 sound at their events on flyers, websites etc.

I don't know how common this is in the USA, but here punters seem to respond very positively to the Function One brand. It seems to form a kind of quasi quality assurance mark for sound quality, and I think the brand's up their with Technics and Pioneer in terms of acceptance and recognition by a significant proportion of fans of most kinds of dance music.

Hence I agree with Dick that the OP has chosen this brand for more than its sound quality. I suspect a smaller and less physically imposing Danley rig of equal or greater capability, would not satisfy the OP's objective.

Whether the UK, the US, or in Berlin (one of the largest party scenes in the world), I imagine the punter thinking is the same - Get loud, sound smooth (low distortion), and look the part (show off horns!).

F1 established itself as it is one of the few manufacturers which completed the criteria.  They are not the only ones, but given how many tms, flash, and floodlight boxes serviced the rave scenes of hte world, there was already a history of Tony Andrews bringing life to 909 and 808 kick drums.

In my market, I've noticed that l'acoustics, nexo, or D&B boxes will just as well be used if the event is a bit more mainstream, but the underground market (meaning less corporate, more promoter than agency based- and it is a very healthy segment) gravitates towards F1. Void could just as well have gotten the same support if their speakers had been in the right clubs.

What danley has going for it is hte nasa background.  As I've tried to research the current impact danley speakers have had on electronic dance music events, it keeps popping up.  Given how much I heard about Turbosound and Pink Floyd, this kind of association will probably help perk up some ears before experiencing the real thing.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 09:04:37 AM »

As fashions do change, I could imagine that with some clever marketing Danley could make F1 kit passe on the UK scene.

I can imagine buzzwords like "synergy", "coherence" and "efficiency" whispered by converts educating the die-hard Funktion One folk, and another mixture of myth, marketing and fact would become common parlance on that scene.

Discovering something better than F1 may gain traction and perhaps even widespread acceptance. In my experience the dance music scene loves finding stuff with that elusive "exclusive" cool factor - and will happily turn facts into pseudo science via the Chinese whispers used to exchange information!

This is my prediction, although I'd prefer white over orange for the color accents

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »

Thanks to the first two guys who gave me solid replies and thanks in advance to anyone willing to further the discussion without going too far off topic. I will definitely take a look into danley products but as you say.. chinese whispers and pseudo science are most likely to bring about their downfall in the future too if that's how it works whenever someone starts to like a particular brand.

The thing about Danley gear is that it is backed up by real science.  Andrews has made out quite good saying how much his designs are "holistic" and such, whereas the impression of Danley (in the press release marketing) is that they are space-age.  It doesnt hurt that many high profile artists have been pleased with the systems.  Whisperings and pseudo science have also made line arrays the dominant system design in most applications, to be fair.  I've also had to hear enough f1 systems where far too few boxes were used to cover hte dancefloor, but given enough reflections off the walls and hte purple color, nobody else cared.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.