ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?  (Read 48318 times)

Rich Green

Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:24:46 AM »

Hi there, I saw the word 'newbie' in this forum description so that's why I'm posting here.

Hopefully there's some F1 pros on board who can help me with my questions. I'm in New Zealand so there's nowhere local I can go to check out F1 systems (althought I heard them overseas and was happy with the sound) and I want to make the right decisions right from the start because incorrect purchases will be quite dire.

I have my mind set on building a couple of the dance stacks. Myself and others feel that your typical Res 2/4 + 218/221 build lacks a bit of punch in the lower mid and the dedicated 15" speakers I've read are suitable for plugging this gap. Since they'll be for rental and not installation, ease of movement is more of a priority than it otherwise would be. Because of that I'm currently ruling out the F221.

I will literally be building it as I go because although I can save relatively fast, I have not much capital to start with. For this reason I am contemplating getting some resolution cabs to start with, then bass, then mids and highs. At least that way I will have stuff I can play with initially as it seems if I bought the parts of the dance stacks over time, it wouldn't start to sound good to play on until I had all 3-4 sections. I guess listing the questions might make things easier so here goes:

1. First off I guess I should ask if this sounds like a solid plan

2. As I am intending to get the resolution cabs first, I guess I am deciding between the res2 and res4 options. The main difference between the two of them I can tell is that one has a 15" and the other is 12"  (the 8 and 1 are the same). Is the Res 2 a better option to use at first with F218 and then Infrabass and then when I get the top sections of the dance stack, they can be used as monitors or for frontal dispersion?

3. I have been told and read that the F215 is a better option than DS15 for non-installs because the DS15 doesn't travel well or something to this effect. Is this a common selection now for this purpose? The operating bands for the F215 are a lot lower than the DS15 so it's a really different speaker and I've seen one of the dance stack options includes both. Is that perhaps the best final configuration?  (DS10 / DS 15 / F 215 / F218 x 2 / Infrabass).

Hopefully this thread gets a few replies and I can get some great advice :)

Thanks in advance!

Josh Billings

Re: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »

I think you should probably be on speakerplans.com they will be a lot more helpful here than anybody here will be.

Rich Green

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 06:42:18 AM »

Haha, probably not the most ideal first reply. I can't see it being that bad here as I've seen other posts on it which were discussed in a suitable way.

I think you should probably be on speakerplans.com they will be a lot more helpful here than anybody here will be.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 07:01:53 AM »

I am not sure if by "build" you mean assemble a system of function one cabinets or by " build" you mean cut plywood and install drivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »

Love your show.  Say hi to Harold!

What?

Oh....

Never mind.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:03:37 AM »

Haha, probably not the most ideal first reply. I can't see it being that bad here as I've seen other posts on it which were discussed in a suitable way.

You're not gonna like this reply either.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »

In a nutshell, I think it's a bad idea to build a "SYSTEM" on the box-a-month plan.  You spend a lot of time with no income (and no ability to grow the rig) and get a reputation for having Not Enough Rig for the Gig® regardless of how nice it is or the pedigree that comes with the brand.

I take it you're putting together a portable dance music system.  We're primarily live audio here, but we have a smattering of EDM providers so they might have more/better comments, but on the whole our type doesn't obsess over "kick bins" or worry that the -3dB dip at 150Hz will somehow cause sterility or collapse of civilisation as we know it. ;)

Have funk, good lucks.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 12:29:42 PM »

In a nutshell, I think it's a bad idea to build a "SYSTEM" on the box-a-month plan.  You spend a lot of time with no income (and no ability to grow the rig) and get a reputation for having Not Enough Rig for the Gig® regardless of how nice it is or the pedigree that comes with the brand.

I take it you're putting together a portable dance music system.  We're primarily live audio here, but we have a smattering of EDM providers so they might have more/better comments, but on the whole our type doesn't obsess over "kick bins" or worry that the -3dB dip at 150Hz will somehow cause sterility or collapse of civilisation as we know it. ;)

Have funk, good lucks.

Tim Mc
Part of the problem is that many people in the EDM world (and others for that matter) often talk about how they want accurate reproduction-but yet if you were to measure a system that they thought was "good" it is often FAR from being accurate.

They get "hung up" on either areas in the freq response that they have lost their hearing or that make them feel "physically good".

If the artist had intended to have an excessive level at a particular freq, then they would have put it in the mix TO BEGIN WITH.  NOT expecting the system to "add what the artist could not".

You cannot be accurate and colored at the same time.  But that is hard to tell live guys also--------

But back to the original question, it is hard to build a "system" by just getting one part of it and expecting it to be able to reproduce the full response and then later just reproduce part of it.

At either the beginning or the end of the "quest" something is going to be lacking.

It is like building a car and when it comes to tires-the tires and the wheels have to match.  But one without the other will not work-at least well.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 04:26:30 PM »

1. First off I guess I should ask if this sounds like a solid plan
2. As I am intending to get the resolution cabs first, I guess I am deciding between the res2 and res4 options. The main difference between the two of them I can tell is that one has a 15" and the other is 12"  (the 8 and 1 are the same). Is the Res 2 a better option to use at first with F218 and then Infrabass and then when I get the top sections of the dance stack, they can be used as monitors or for frontal dispersion?
3. I have been told and read that the F215 is a better option than DS15 for non-installs because the DS15 doesn't travel well or something to this effect. Is this a common selection now for this purpose? The operating bands for the F215 are a lot lower than the DS15 so it's a really different speaker and I've seen one of the dance stack options includes both. Is that perhaps the best final configuration?  (DS10 / DS 15 / F 215 / F218 x 2 / Infrabass).
Rich,

1) Individual sub, mid, hi-mid, high  enclosures have not been a "solid plan" as far as general market acceptability or resale since the late 1970's. I replaced my four box 1979 horn system (took 9 months of design and build  :'() for a two box, four way horn loaded system in 1981. The last time I tried to sell separate enclosures I got zero response. That said,  it seems everything old is new again, and separates are again popular in the dance market. If you have determined there is a market that will pay for them, and the extra work involved, go for it.
2) In addition to what you pointed out, the Res 4 is three way, adding expense and complexity over the two way semi-full range Res 2. For building "one piece at a time" (great Johnny Cash song) the Res 2 seems more flexible, and could be used as a stand alone rental.
3) Chopping up bandwidth using separate cabinets covering little more than an octave is one approach to get the job done, not necessarily the "best final solution".  As a "one piece at a time" building plan, using multiple subs each capable of operation from around 30-100+ Hz makes more sense than purchasing just one portion of that spectrum at a time.

Art (not quite as old as Tony Andrews) Welter

Rich Green

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »

Thanks Tim and Art for your well-thought out replies.

I think that means I'll go with the res2 to start with. I do have my mind set on the end goal and now living mortgage-free, and with almost enough capital to start with the res cabs, 1 pair of F218 and appropriate amps + speaker management, I hope to be able to complete 2 dance stacks + monitors in about 2 years. I realise hiring it out and employing staff will be a bit of work but to be honest, this will be like an expensive hobby for me. I'm not going to go out buying $100k cars as I'm not that interested in them so this is what I've chosen to keen me happy and not turn into a boring old 9-5 dinner tv sleep repeat man until I'm ready to retire.

Back on topic.. I do realise that it won't sound complete until it is complete and also I will do my best to keep it under wraps until it is as well although I'm sure what I could buy with said capital should make a decent enough sound for me to be happy initially :)

Can I get an opinion on whether this order of purchase sounds like the best idea to have the most options to have a balanced sound during the time that I am adding items?

1. Res 2
2. F218
3. Infrabass
4. F215
5. DS10 /  Res 3 EH Evo x 2
6. F218

Then possibly DS15 depending on if I think there is enough control over the upper mid.

Here are the 3 most common Dance Stack options from the F1 website:

http://www.funktion-one.com/img/tech-drawings/DS_tech.png

I guess it's halfway in between the first and second ones.

Thanks again!

Rich,

1) Individual sub, mid, hi-mid, high  enclosures have not been a "solid plan" as far as general market acceptability or resale since the late 1970's. I replaced my four box 1979 horn system (took 9 months of design and build  :'() for a two box, four way horn loaded system in 1981. The last time I tried to sell separate enclosures I got zero response. That said,  it seems everything old is new again, and separates are again popular in the dance market. If you have determined there is a market that will pay for them, and the extra work involved, go for it.
2) In addition to what you pointed out, the Res 4 is three way, adding expense and complexity over the two way semi-full range Res 2. For building "one piece at a time" (great Johnny Cash song) the Res 2 seems more flexible, and could be used as a stand alone rental.
3) Chopping up bandwidth using separate cabinets covering little more than an octave is one approach to get the job done, not necessarily the "best final solution".  As a "one piece at a time" building plan, using multiple subs each capable of operation from around 30-100+ Hz makes more sense than purchasing just one portion of that spectrum at a time.

Art (not quite as old as Tony Andrews) Welter

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 09:37:02 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.