ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?  (Read 48311 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
Re: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2014, 11:30:55 AM »

Is Tony Andrews good at talking about what sound should sound like

Y E S

He's very articulate and passionate. 

Here's the deal:

If not for the way the product looks,  F1 would not have anywhere near the market penetration in the EDM market segment it currently enjoys.

Put it in a black box with a grille and no one would give it a second look. 

A couple of my friends are each FOH for the two top trance DJs on the planet.  They, and a lot of Europeans, call it "Funktion None".  Their words, not mine.  And I understand why, having tuned up a large Res 5 rig.  I had to quit and was still nowhere satisfied.  My two pals arrived, each having to use this thing and after I was done apologizing they assured me it was "better than most" (whew) and carried on.  That's when I "got it". 

It's all been driven by "coolness factor", and once the seed was planted the club owners bought in, the DJs swallowed it whole, and the course was set. 

It should be clear that this coolness factor is part of the EDM market.  BTW, where do we see concert sized F1 rigs other than EDM?  It happens, but not that much.  There are precisely 5 rental users in the US. 5.  Why is that?

Void: @ ULTRA in 2013, AIS debuted the Void line array.  The previous year, AIS brought their traditional horn loaded trap boxes. Each sounded fantastic, to anyone I spoke to about it.  The line array was easily the best sounding system on site.  Very smooth, easy on the ears, and proper coverage.

Danley: I will be with a J1 / BC415 rig at Nocturnal over the weekend.  I already know what this system sounds like - fantastic.  BTW I will be driving it with a Mackie VLZ4 402.  Heh.

Long story short - I have used and tuned Res 5 and Danley.  I tuned the Void line array system and listened to it extensively. I listened to the Void trap system extensively. 

A wise man would be looking to the future, not 15 year old technology, unless you just _have_ to have F1.

Ignore the marketing spin. 

Does anyone have a pointer to Funktion One frequency/phase measurements?

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »

1)A wise man would be looking to the future, not 15 year old technology, unless you just _have_ to have F1.
2)Ignore the marketing spin. 
3)Does anyone have a pointer to Funktion One frequency/phase measurements?
1) Other than a lot more diffraction inducing sharp edges, I don't see any difference in Tony Andrews current "technology" from his 36 year old Turbosound designs.
2) Good advice regarding any manufacturer.
3) Since Tony moved operations "down on the farm", haven't seen anything other than dimensional measurements.  If you don't have Funktion One frequency/phase measurements after having tuned up a large Res 5 rig, I doubt you will find any.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2014, 12:12:10 PM »

1) Other than a lot more diffraction inducing sharp edges, I don't see any difference in Tony Andrews current "technology" from his 36 year old Turbosound designs.
2) Good advice regarding any manufacturer.
3) Since Tony moved operations "down on the farm", haven't seen anything other than dimensional measurements.  If you don't have Funktion One frequency/phase measurements after having tuned up a large Res 5 rig, I doubt you will find any.

I will check for saved traces.  I very clearly remember muting various passbands and was astonished at the basically perfect response (no magnitude discrepancies) in the mid section.

Of course, "measures well" does not equal "sounds good".
It's got electrolytes. 

Janne Paul

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2014, 03:25:23 AM »

Assuming that the alternatives listed are not available in NZ, one should consider if crosshire from the already established F1 shop may be needed.

Ignore the marketing spin. 

Or use it to your business advantage.
An one-man show can probably not afford any marketing. It may be wise to choose a strong brand even when there are others offering a better product.

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2014, 02:12:14 PM »

Assuming that the alternatives listed are not available in NZ, one should consider if crosshire from the already established F1 shop may be needed.

An one-man show can probably not afford any marketing. It may be wise to choose a strong brand even when there are others offering a better product.

Agreed. 
It's got electrolytes. 

Rich Green

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2014, 07:58:35 AM »

The established guy is pretty much just a solo guy importing what he can afford. While his written plan was quite decent, his ability to convey his points on the phone I found a little lacking.

I definitely agree with your second point. F1 is a huge brand worldwide and shopping the name around to some established promoters here, I did find a decent amount of possible future-pursuable avenues.

Having said that, I spent the last week researching Danley products whenever I had the chance and it does seem like it does what it says on the tin. I think a bit of a boost in the marketing department would help a lot. Engineers have never been great at that from what I can tell.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »

Having said that, I spent the last week researching Danley products whenever I had the chance and it does seem like it does what it says on the tin. I think a bit of a boost in the marketing department would help a lot. Engineers have never been great at that from what I can tell.
Marketing dept-WHAT marketing dept????????????????
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Rich Green

« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2014, 09:42:26 AM »

Marketing dept-WHAT marketing dept????????????????

Well that's it exactly. From what I can tell getting all the installs at the stadiums and churches must be paying the bills.

I guess the pure groove guy is helping when it comes to touring and club installs?

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »

Well that's it exactly. From what I can tell getting all the installs at the stadiums and churches must be paying the bills.

I guess the pure groove guy is helping when it comes to touring and club installs?
Basically it is word of mouth and people having success with the products-rather than trying to convince them of things that are not always achievable-but look good on pretty drawings.

If the products work-people will come back.  If they don't, then the manufacturer got their money once-but not again.

And then there are the people (a large percentage of our industry) who want to "believe" that something does what it says-rather than confirm it. 

If it has the "cool factor" then many will like it-even if it does not work as it should :(

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

Not yet, but is definitely raising the bar and turning heads at festivals and smallish events. 

My impression from Nocturnal Wonderland last weekend is the Insomniac chief(s) were quite impressed.

It's got electrolytes. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.