ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?  (Read 48331 times)

Guy Graham

Re: Funktion One Dance Stack - How to build it from the start?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 02:16:50 PM »

In fact there is a Danley system scheduled to do a show in London soon. I believe the only obstacle is flying J1s.  I have been told it's already on Digweed's rider.  There should also be good representation at ADE in October.

That's no surprise to hear Danley has found favour in such quarters - John Digweed (and sometime partner Anthony Coe / Sasha) have always been well ahead of the curve, in pushing the creative boundaries of DJ culture forwards, and cutting through the bullshit that often comes with it.

What's impressive is how he has stayed at the top of the game, while things swing in and out of fashion - plowing his own furrow, without alienating the huge fanbase of the different genres he successfully blends.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 04:22:31 PM »

That's no surprise to hear Danley has found favour in such quarters - John Digweed (and sometime partner Anthony Coe / Sasha) have always been well ahead of the curve, in pushing the creative boundaries of DJ culture forwards, and cutting through the bullshit that often comes with it.

What's impressive is how he has stayed at the top of the game, while things swing in and out of fashion - plowing his own furrow, without alienating the huge fanbase of the different genres he successfully blends.

Minor correction would be that the name is of his former dj partner is alex/alexander and not anthony.

If I'm not mistaken, Funktion One sorta made its debut in the US 12 years ago in miami for a digweed party.  Danley had not seemed to really take off with the dance music crowd until pure groove had them painted orange and set up in miami this year.

Guy Graham

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

Minor correction would be that the name is of his former dj partner is alex/alexander and not anthony.

If I'm not mistaken, Funktion One sorta made its debut in the US 12 years ago in miami for a digweed party.  Danley had not seemed to really take off with the dance music crowd until pure groove had them painted orange and set up in miami this year.

Sorry - well spotted!

I've met Digweed a couple of times, back in the mid 1990s before he'd worked in New York (Twilo was it?). Back then most of the other big names in the same genres of dance music tended to just turn up and play records, so it was interesting to talk to someone who was very actively involved in the production side.

I've enjoyed Sasha DJing a good few times back in the day, but I remember seeing a bunch of kids following him to get his autograph, which seemed rather geeky and uncool - quite out of keeping with what was then regarded as an underground scene!

Presumably you're referring to an event at the Miami Winter Music Conference. Back when I was more interested in this sort of thing, the winter event in Miami was always described as a big deal for such a small industry. It was noted how dance music wasn't such a big thing over there compared to the UK and Europe. Seems like the US has properly caught up now.

By coincidence a new club near me opened in the mid-2000s, and bought a nearly new Funktion One system from a venue in Miami. It seemed a long way to transport all that rig, but it certainly still sounds good with DJ playback. Unfortunately it's not really laid out for live gigs, and the only live music at this place is in another room.

Rich Green

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »

It is a tech forum, and folks have offered advice and expertise of significant worth. But the OP has been effectively rejecting solid advice, and posed further questions such as:

Your plan is complex for several reasons...

Hi again everyone,

It's been a long time since I really participated in forums and I do realise I leave a lot to be desired in the presentation of my ideas. There's reasons for this that I won't go into but to get back on topic...

Originally I said I want to build a couple of dance stacks. One of the things I was asking is, if one doesn't have the cash up front for buying them plus amps and speaker management outright, is buying a couple of resolution cabs then soon after, some F218 a good way to still have what most people would say is a decent sounding system. To me now from what I've got from this forum and another, the res 2 is the best option to start with. I was wondering if 2 or 4 would be better but it seems like needing less amps while also having the ability to produce some lower bass make it the best option for me.

Going on from there, I'd be wanting to purchase bass cabinets and then in due time, complete the dance stacks and use the resolution cabs as monitors or near-range fills. Depending on how close the crowd gets to the speakers, if you have them on the left and right of the room, surely the people right in the middle at the front (die hard ravers?) are going to be missing some of the best of the sound compared to standing back a bit in the 'sweet spot'. This is something I've thought about but then again there's a good chance those people may just have to miss out (perhaps they don't care that much to start with) and they'd be better used as monitors.

Now that I've almost certainly made up my mind about which of the resolution cabs would be better in the interim, I also asked about what people knew about the difference between the DS15 and the F215. The fact that a distributor told me that modern dance stacks' ideal configuration for touring is to use the F215 over the DS15 at first sounded like a good idea if that's what the majority considers the best. When I looked at the frequency ranges and saw such a disparity, that is why I asked here.

To be honest, worrying about them is still down the track a little bit so I thought I'd get in my research early.

The final query I had was the order in which to buy the speakers so as to always have a good coverage of frequency ranges. More than likely by the end of the year I'll be the proud (possibly ridiculed by yourself) owner of 2xRes 2 + 2x F218 with FFA and MC2 amps (along with speaker management if I don't go with the built in option).  After that is where it gets tricky for me in my mind. To get the infrabass or F215/DS15 next a few months down the line. This is not that complex in my head and in all honesty, it probably doesn't matter that much as it wouldn't be too long before I'd get whichever I didn't get before soon after. I just thought someone might have an opinion on which would be better to get first. I'll take your suggestion about the infrabass on board for sure so thanks for that.

I have a couple of other posts to reply to so I'll leave it at that. I am grateful for all the knowledge that's getting imparted so sorry if I don't come off that way. As I said before, I've been away from forums for a long time and forgot that a lot of the time, when you make a post, you don't forsee how others may take it which leads to having to backtrack and explain more  (which leads me to the next post I'm about to make).

Rich Green

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 10:20:09 AM »

Rich,

I didn't find the DS10 in their line up, but assuming it is a single version of the DS210, it and the F218 won't provide "quality sound" for two basic reasons:

<snipped>
One other difference between  Res2 or 4 (probably not too relevant to your business model) is the Res 4 rigging is designed to accommodate long hangs, while the M10 fly points on the Res 2 limit the array.
Note that they are only 50 x 25 degree nominal dispersion, for stereo use to cover most venues a minimum of four cabinets are required.

Hi again Art,

Thanks for your time. I did mean the DS210 I'm sorry. I realise that one res cabinet on top won't do the job alone which is why I plan to get round to buying that eventually along with dedicated 15" cabinets and make the res cabinet my monitors/near range speakers.

Also you took a lot of time to reply to my statement about using the DS210 + F218 when I was kind of just saying that I knew that wouldn't work so I apologise for time wasted on your behalf.

I did a couple of hours snooping around online regarding the danley products. I found it interesting in 2011 you had a few back and forths with the man himself and his team. Have you had a chance to hear them since then and if so, what was your impression?

Thanks in advance again!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:38:11 AM by Rich Green »

Rich Green

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 10:32:57 AM »

That you see Funktion 1 brand as a valuable marketing tool should not be lost on the responders.

That said, I go back to my original comment about trying to build a rig on the box-a-month plan.  In my observation over the last 30+ years, these plans seldom work out.  Why?  Because shit happens.  Your kid gets sick, your wife or husband is in a car wreck or work accident, you biggest client goes out of business, a competitor with shiny new toys opens, or the local economy takes a dump.

The real issue, Rich, is that these decisions are more about *business* than about sound itself.  You can have a money making business, a money losing business, or a money-pit hobby.  Only one of those do I find attractive... ;)

Keep sussing this out.  ...

Thanks for the positive words and advice Tim. As I did mention before, there are quite a few guys with DIY rigs here. If I'm to put on my own parties eventually, I'm sure I could rent their stuff. Having my own cuts down that expense and also having my own means that other people may rent from me. Like you say, having something that people a) recognise as pretty well-regarded worldwide  and b) has whatever word you want to use akin to 'aura'  which may in turn drive more rental opportunities is definitely a factor in why I am keen to go with F1

I've been lucky in life I suppose and have a solid business that shouldn't wane too much even with a torrid economy. I'm also mortgage-free so this whole dance stack project will hopefully be achievable within 2 years for me. I basically have enough to purchase what I mentioned 2 posts ago and then hopefully I can save another 60,000 pounds which I figure is about what I need to get the components listed in around that time. The guys I knew in Taiwan before who have constructed a pretty successful business out of F1 had a lot more money to start with so they were able to get full rentals right from the get-go but they also did a lot of sound reinforcement type rentals ie. just their subs and if I am able to do that to get a bit more cash in the kitty, that will also be nice.

I am wary of having bits and pieces out there for public opinion before it's complete / ready to be presented as the full package so thanks to anyone who gave me that advice and I'll put your minds at ease by saying I had at least thought that through.

Finally I should say I used to be extremely good at maths (now my mind is old I'm definitely nowhere near as fast) and I have never had any issues with money, budgets, staying afloat and bankruptcy therefore won't enter the equation. I hope none of this comes off as conceited, I just want to put your minds at rest that although I'm not ready to buy it all outright to start, this won't be a 10 year endeavour that has the potential to negatively affect my life in general (at least as far as cash goes - who knows what other critics may be out there ready to slander my efforts!).

Kind regards, Rich

Rich Green

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 10:34:22 AM »

Danley had not seemed to really take off with the dance music crowd until pure groove had them painted orange and set up in miami this year.

Maybe I should just flag this whole plan, build my own stuff and take some painting courses :)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 11:08:36 AM »

Thanks for the positive words and advice Tim. As I did mention before, there are quite a few guys with DIY rigs here. If I'm to put on my own parties eventually, I'm sure I could rent their stuff. Having my own cuts down that uexpense and also having my own means that other people may rent from me.
Kind regards, Rich

Have you done the math on owning vs. renting?  If you own it, you have the expenses of storage, maintenance, transportation, insurance and so on.  If you rent you just pay for the time you use.

How many events do you project doing in a year?  How often will you need to rent out to break even?  Is this a business or a hobby you hope will pay for itself?  Do you have sufficient cred that you're sure of your draw for your self-produced stuff? 

If it's a business and you're as debt-free as you say, write out your business plan and talk to the banker.  Otherwise, rent until you've tested the market and established some kind of track record.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:19:31 AM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 12:23:19 PM »

And while we are "correcting" ------------  ;)  ;)

John Digweed first played on a Danley system in Atlanta this same weekend last year.

Carsten Eichstadt   https://www.facebook.com/carsten.eichstadt?fref=ts     
was the first one to paint the cabinets orange.

It has kind of caught on, and other people are having them made in other colors as well-red blue etc

Clarity (out of Charlotte NC) was the first company to take an interest in Danley for EDM shows-several years ago.  They do installs mainly in clubs-but also sports venues.

But I do agree that the Pure Groove relationship is bringing the products more mainstream in that market.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »

Have you done the math on owning vs. renting?  If you own it, you have the expenses of storage, maintenance, transportation, insurance and so on.  If you rent you just pay for the time you use.

This, so much this. I'm currently storing a portion of my gear at one of my venues in exchange for prime rental pricing, the rest gets carried in and out of my basement.

The next step is renting shop/storage space, or moving to a new home with garage. Neither of which are small/easy objectives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 24 queries.