ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Regulations concerning installation safety requirements  (Read 2126 times)

Tomm Williams

Regulations concerning installation safety requirements
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »

Gentlemen

Can any of you provide me with any known statutes concerning safety and engineering requirements for doing an install that includes speaker flying. Having a discussion where the question has been asked "show me where it says that"

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Regulations concerning installation safety requirements
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

Gentlemen

Can any of you provide me with any known statutes concerning safety and engineering requirements for doing an install that includes speaker flying. Having a discussion where the question has been asked "show me where it says that"

It appears that you are in Northern California.  Look at the structural building codes for your area.  Be sure to check on attachment to the structure.  One major consideration would be the requirement to have an engineered solution for seismic requirements.  There are both federal and state seismic issues in many places, some local as well.  Depending upon the size of the installation force loading calculations may need to be done to satisfy inspectors or permitting needs.

Beyond that you have the same considerations as other structural requirements.  Somebody has to accept the responsibility for certifying that the speaker hang will work without falling down.  This responsibility includes standing behind the way the design of the rigging was done with liability insurance.  Small systems often do not go through an engineering certification but properly licensed installers carry liability insurance to cover problems. 

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »

Gentlemen

I think leave gave some good advice.   If you are hanging an 80lb speaker I doubt you will need a structural study.  You do however want a competent installer familiar with all local codes (seismic for your area was a good call).

Frankly, if you don't do it every day, and I don't care if you are an engineer, electrician, carpenter it doesn't matter.  Let a pro do it.

My guys get wanked at me for giving profit away.  I look at it as shedding liability.  We won't install speakers under any circumstances, it's not what we do.

I'm not telling you what to do, just sharing my experience.

If you are hanging over 200 lbs. I would have a structural engineer (a real PE with a seal) and a set of drawings done.  Also check with your insurance company and or leaseholder.  You may find an attachment clause.

Of course you don't want to be this guy (extreme example) http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/2014/04/25/italian-man-killed-giant-falling-crucifix-dedicated-pope-john-paul/hhdrIgQc88q7LarpdEiaIP/story.html

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:27:57 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 07:23:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.