ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good old craigslist...  (Read 21022 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Good old craigslist...
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 12:27:02 PM »

I remember those.
OUCH!!!!
Well, at least they looked impressive, for the time.
Sound was...... ah........ummm......lackluster at best
I tried running it 4-way. Once. Wall of CS-800's. 2 hours fucking around, and back to full-range they went.
The salesman loved them. Guess he had a decent markup on them, cause it sure wasn't for the sound !
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2016, 03:37:14 PM »

A friend has a pair of SP-2s and a pair of FH-1s in his shed.  I have a CS800 and a CS1000. 

This is what I used in the mid 80s.  I would love to put it all together for some sort of retro event.

Steve.

SP2/CS800 was my first P.A. Saw a pair for sale at Sam Ash last month and thought about it...just for a second, LOL.
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »

Back in the late '70s the guy who did most of the arena gigs in Honolulu built a similar system comprised of 2-10s, 4-5 1/4s, a couple of slots and a couple of ring radiators.  This sat on top of a W bin with a 15.  All JBL drivers of the era.  Amp rack was maybe 12U high with Yamaha amps instead of the Phase Linear he used with the older all horn system.  The first time I heard it he had two stacks per side in the HIC arena with George Benson.  It was the best sounding concert I'd heard to date, including folks who brought in their own touring systems.  Warm and natural sounding.  Didn't have the efficiency of horn loading but seemed to make up for it with the 5 way multi-amping.  He built a couple more so he could have three stacks per side for louder rock shows.  He would also load a bunch of empty bins and some horns into a tray that flew over the stage so it looked more rock and roll.  But the 5 way stacks were carrying all the load to the front.

He had also built the system our Waikiki cabaret band used including the 250lb prototype concrete copies of JBL radial horns.  He made the ones he used for the arena shows thinner and lighter but we left our system in the same club for 3 years so moving them wasn't as much an issue.  Until the resort chain moved us to a bigger show room and we had to move them every night.   :(  In any event we took a week off to play on Maui once and with no arena gig booked, he told us to leave our rig in the club and he would bring something.  Given that the place on Maui was paying freight (along with rooms and meals) to get a top Waikiki band for the week.  That ended up being a pair of his 5 way stacks which we set up in a large ballroom.  (He also tried out some wedges Ike and Tina had sent over for a show on us)  These days, most folks would consider such a rig barely adequate for a large ballroom.  But in 1978 it was seriously loud.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 05:04:08 PM »

Something way deep down inside wants me to buy this rig and then through judicious use of DSP and Quint(?)-amping make it sound really good for a backyard party set of speakers...

http://collegestation.craigslist.org/msg/4913939920.html

In case you're located in the east:

https://york.craigslist.org/msg/5837018410.html
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

George Powell

• http://www.gpaudio.net
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:20 AM »

I owned 6 stacks of that stuff when I started out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Clair i212
Lab Gruppen
Versarray
VRX
LS9
X32
www.gpaudio.net

State College, Pa 16803

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2016, 01:04:20 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 23 queries.