ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions for a potential client  (Read 4387 times)

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Questions for a potential client
« on: October 16, 2016, 02:18:47 AM »

I generally ask these questions, but just now wrote them down so anyone on my team who gets a call always knows what to ask.

But I'm curious, what do y'all typically ask?

I'll go first:

Ask about what it is potential client wants or needs.

If install:
-What are you? - church, restaurant, stadium.
-what do you want? - consulting. Repair. Replace, new install, upgrade, etc.
-Who? - who's involved, who are my contacts.
-When? When do you want work to start/end, what hours can we work.
-Where? Location, inside/outside, type of building? How large area?
-Why? What is the purpose, (has a lot to do with what) what makes you and your organization work? Why do you want speakers installed? (Answer could be louder or more even or whatever, work to correct any false Info client already has or misconceived notions)
-how? How is this coming together? Multiple companies, single company, Hodge podge, etc. (Can be inferred)
-Techs? setup/teardown crew, union people (Has a lot to do with how fast they want it done. Can be inferred).
-haze type? (If applicable)
-stage size, stage plot, drawings, architect drawing,  other info?

If gig:
-What? - concert, festival, edm, worship
-Who? - who's involved who are you who will be there, artist
-When? Load-in, load-out, actual event time, rehearsal times, setup start/stop times
-Where? Location, inside/outside, type of building? How large area? Expected # people?
-Why? What is the purpose, fundraiser, charity, retreat, concert festival, what makes you and your organization work?
-how? How is this coming together? Multiple companies, single company, Hodge podge, etc. (Can be inferred)
-Techs? setup/teardown crew, sound technician, LD, union people, stage manager, etc?
-power tie-in? Do we need electrician to tie in, do we need distro, what type of service, etc.(Can be figured out later, but will need to find out)
-haze? (Same as above)
-stage size, plot, other info?

If rental:
-Who? Who are you?
-What is this for? Wedding, concert, meeting, dance, party. Etc.
-what do you want? Speaker, projector, smart light, strobe, etc.
-When? Pickup, dropoff, Load-in, load-out, actual event time, rehearsal times, setup start/stop times.
-Where? Location, inside/outside, type of building? How large area? Expected # people? Will the equipment be locked up.
-Why? What is the purpose, fundraiser, charity, retreat, concert festival, what makes you and your organization work?
-Techs? setup/teardown crew, sound technician, LD, union people, stage manager, etc?
-power tie-in? (Can be figured out later, but will need to find out)
-haze? (Same as above)
-stage size, plot, other info?
-do you need any help with lights, other equipment?
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

scottstephens

Re: Questions for a potential client
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 08:58:47 AM »

Nathan,

For an install, and sometimes a gig we ask who do we send the invoice to.  A lot of times on an install for a church the person who calls us has no idea because it is a "committee" person.  And also on an install we ask when we can come in and get the specs of the building. Are we drilling through concrete and stone or just drywall? How many times has the building been redone?
   At that point we also get to make sure that the electric service is up to snuff. Because old buildings often  have "this" in one part of the building and "that" on another part of the building. That can really mess up things like 70 volt aux speakers.
  Just my thoughts.
scott

James Feenstra

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »

I typically ask what they're trying to accomplish and what their budget to do so is.

If the two are reasonably close together we can proceed from there and determine what's needed to accomplish their vision.

If they're looking for a stadium show on a speaker on stick budget, there's no point in continuing past the basics
Elevation Audiovisual
www.elevationav.com
Taking your events to the next level

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »

I typically ask what they're trying to accomplish and what their budget to do so is.

If the two are reasonably close together we can proceed from there and determine what's needed to accomplish their vision.

If they're looking for a stadium show on a speaker on stick budget, there's no point in continuing past the basics
Agreed.
What do you want to do
What can you spend.  Not want to spend, but can you spend.
I won't waste time if reasonable funds aren't there.
If we can't work out a comprimise, not much good to continue discussions.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »

Agreed.
What do you want to do
What can you spend.  Not want to spend, but can you spend.
I won't waste time if reasonable funds aren't there.
If we can't work out a comprimise, not much good to continue discussions.
Chris.

That's an excellent delineation, one I hadn't considered.

Nathan,

"For an install, and sometimes a gig we ask who do we send the invoice to."

"And also on an install we ask when we can come in and get the specs of the building."

"At that point we also get to make sure that the electric service is up to snuff."

Just my thoughts.
Scott

Excellent points,

2nd one, I'd even ask for specs on the building when running an event in there. Nicer to design the model beforehand in a lighting CAD program like Capture Argo, with correct dimensions.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Helmke

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 05:58:25 PM »

I mostly get the repair calls here, so that's one layer of filtering already done.

"Can you send me a picture from your phone" is the most useful question I've ever come up with.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:01 AM »

One of the most important things a salesperson can do -- regardless of the industry -- is to learn about their customer's business. What is it they do? What makes them stand out from the competition? What about their business are they particularly proud of? How do they do what they do?

Knowing these things, knowing how their business works, will provide valuable insight that will help you present to them the best product or service to meet their needs, and how that product or service will help their business grow.

So many times people get in their heads that they want "X", when X may not be the best solution for their needs. If you sell them X, then they might never be happy with the product, and they'll never call you again because you sold them something that didn't work, even though that's what they asked for at the time.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:05:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 23 queries.