ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?  (Read 15579 times)

Brian O'Shaughnessy

• Vitamin C Entertainment
Re: Heavy speakers, to fly or use a tripod?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input! I appreciate the help. I ended up pulling the trigger and installing a top hat.

The parts I ended up using were the Penn-Elcom M1551 top hat with backing plate, and the Duratruss dt-3800l crank stands for the tripods. (Penn-Elcom seems to be an awesome manufacturer if you're looking for miscellaneous speaker cabinet parts, very high quality.) I used a part of another tripod to roll the speaker on, marking the balance points as people described in this thread. Then I also did a "dry run" by just balancing the speaker on the tripod once I established my center of gravity and was happy with how it felt. Once I felt very confidence with the center of gravity, used a drill bit for drilling the right sized hole ($20 at the hardware store) and then crossed my fingers as I drilled through the cabinet. As it ends up it's at least an inch of birch plywood. With the backing plate on the interior of the cabinet I was able to really crank it down, I am very happy with how sturdy it feels and the appearance is very clean as well.

Here is a picture of the first show with the new setup, I really prefer having the subs on the floor, SO glad I ended up doing this. Thanks for everyone who had input one way or the other, much appreciated!

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:57:31 PM by Brian O'Shaughnessy »
Vitamin C Entertainment
http://vcentertain.com

Stu McDoniel

• Central Wisconsin...USA
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

Thanks everyone for the input! I appreciate the help. I ended up pulling the trigger and installing a top hat.

The parts I ended up using were the Penn-Elcom M1551 top hat with backing plate, and the Duratruss dt-3800l crank stands for the tripods. (Penn-Elcom seems to be an awesome manufacturer if you're looking for miscellaneous speaker cabinet parts, very high quality.) I used a part of another tripod to roll the speaker on, marking the balance points as people described in this thread. Then I also did a "dry run" by just balancing the speaker on the tripod once I established my center of gravity and was happy with how it felt. Once I felt very confidence with the center of gravity, used a drill bit for drilling the right sized hole ($20 at the hardware store) and then crossed my fingers as I drilled through the cabinet. As it ends up it's at least an inch of birch plywood. With the backing plate on the interior of the cabinet I was able to really crank it down, I am very happy with how sturdy it feels and the appearance is very clean as well.

Here is a picture of the first show with the new setup, I really prefer having the subs on the floor, SO glad I ended up doing this. Thanks for everyone who had input one way or the other, much appreciated!

Looks good Brian!  Hoping adding the top hats do not effect cab performance for you.  Never ever skimp on safety when you put weight up in the air.  An 80lb box falling can break foot bones and more even from 8ft up! 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2014, 08:54:33 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.