ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Distortion of Sound  (Read 7974 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: The Distortion of Sound
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 02:06:22 PM »

Here is the basic run down. Anything with 44.1khz and above is totally transparent as far as our ears can tell. Which means that anything below that bit depth will have degraded quality that can be heard

44.1kHz is the sample rate, not bit depth.  16-bit is the bit depth for CD audio.

44.1kHz was chosen because Nyquist theorem states that digital sampling must occur at twice the highest frequency of interest in order to accurately capture and reproduce the sampled signal. Humans typically can't hear much higher than 20kHz.

It has been argued, though, that harmonic content above the normal range of hearing affects our perception of the sound.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 03:00:27 PM »

It has been argued, though, that harmonic content above the normal range of hearing affects our perception of the sound.
Corey,

Having heard the arguments, finally decided to test the theory, you can see (and hear) the results in post #179 here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/210914-what-benefits-adding-hf-driver-7khz-up-18.html

Though the recordings prove that the beat frequencies of ultrasonic harmonics can be clearly audible, in actual practice they wouldn't be, my test required listening in one specific location using a pair of very directional HF horns focused at that point. Another responder to the thread found his "normal" speakers did not have enough VHF output and directivity to have audible or recordable results.

Art

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 04:25:09 PM »

The big problem with todays music is not with portable music formats it's a lot further back up the food chain in a place where the consumer and probably the artists have no control over.
That statement certainly clarifies what you are trying to say and I have to agree. However, the fact that questionable quality sources are being crushed down to 128 MP3s isn't helping the matter.
In the video, the artists are saying that they feel their creative intent is being compromised and blaming it just on data compression alone is not the whole truth. Let's not give the punters too much technical info at once or their eyes will glaze over and we'll loose them forever ;)
As you suggested, artists may not have any control over the mastering of their material and that is where the problem starts.
So what if they focus on  data compressing as a major culprit? At least, if people start at that end to correct the problem, they might eventually find their way to the mastering process.
I still think it's a great video and perhaps to the the "choir" that we are, the message they are preaching seems a bit obvious and incomplete.
However, if this video can get people thinking about audio quality, then the quest for better sound may follow.
I'm not holding out much hope as most people just don't give a rat's a$$ !
I'm setting up shows with crew around me listening to rap music on a smart phone stuck in their pocket and they think it's juuuuust fine. ARRRRRG!!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:29:26 PM by Keith Broughton »
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

44.1kHz is the sample rate, not bit depth.  16-bit is the bit depth for CD audio.

44.1kHz was chosen because Nyquist theorem states that digital sampling must occur at twice the highest frequency of interest in order to accurately capture and reproduce the sampled signal. Humans typically can't hear much higher than 20kHz.

Truth...... My point is basically that there is nothing below 44.1khz 16 bit as a standard. I.E. we don't have a 22khz 8 bit format. I should have just stuck to sample rate, since 192kbps is not a bit depth, but more or less a sample rate. In either case you're correct. Good catch.

I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »

Truth...... My point is basically that there is nothing below 44.1khz 16 bit as a standard. I.E. we don't have a 22khz 8 bit format. I should have just stuck to sample rate, since 192kbps is not a bit depth, but more or less a sample rate. In either case you're correct. Good catch.

Agree that Nyquist would dictate a sample rate of greater than 44khz however the actual selection of 44.1khz came from the early redbook CD standards group.  North American Phillips was deeply involved in the standard.  They also made TV's so they had 44.1khz colorburst crystals readily available.  The rest is history.

On this note Bob did you ever meet Claude Shannon and (I think it was Carl) Nyquist in Murray Hill?

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2014, 02:25:29 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.