ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL V5 tunings- why do I keep seeing custom presets?  (Read 3858 times)

Paul McGee

JBL V5 tunings- why do I keep seeing custom presets?
« on: August 26, 2014, 10:03:33 AM »

Re JBL's relatively recent V5 tunings.

I have run into several rigs- vertec 4886, F12, F15 wedges, VRX, etc., in different places recently. In each case, different owners/system techs have arbitrarily abandoned the readily available V5 tunings in favor of customized tunings through the Harman System software (soundweb, Audio Architect, whatever you call it).

I personally have not been satisfied with any custom tunings relative to the V5 tunings. I have gone so far as to flash V5 tunings into others' HD amps because I couldn't get what I wanted out of the cabinets.

It's ironic to me that engineers would disregard the efforts of JBL engineers in favor of poorly thought out custom settings. V5 works well.

I'm wondering if people have had  experiences like this and/or have opinions on this topic.

Thanks, Paul McGee, Systems guy, FOH and Cat Herder

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: JBL V5 tunings- why do I keep seeing custom presets?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

Re JBL's relatively recent V5 tunings.

I have run into several rigs- vertec 4886, F12, F15 wedges, VRX, etc., in different places recently. In each case, different owners/system techs have arbitrarily abandoned the readily available V5 tunings in favor of customized tunings through the Harman System software (soundweb, Audio Architect, whatever you call it).

I personally have not been satisfied with any custom tunings relative to the V5 tunings. I have gone so far as to flash V5 tunings into others' HD amps because I couldn't get what I wanted out of the cabinets.

It's ironic to me that engineers would disregard the efforts of JBL engineers in favor of poorly thought out custom settings. V5 works well.

I'm wondering if people have had  experiences like this and/or have opinions on this topic.

Thanks, Paul McGee, Systems guy, FOH and Cat Herder
Ego, mostly. 

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:32:20 AM »

This is exactly what JBL does NOT want to happen.  System owners/operators with their "custom" bullshit settings did a good job of getting "NO VerTec" on riders (yes, I've seen it) 10 years ago.  Every rig a BE would walk up to would sound different.  That's the exact opposite of what a BE needs and is why l'Acoustic kicked JBL's ass around the world and back.

The arrogance of system owners or engineers, most of whom who can't correctly measure a line array to start with, think they can out-do the Propeller Headed Beanie guys at the factory.

I've said this before:  when we get compliments about the way our VerTec rigs sound and respond those comments usually come with "you guys must have spent a lot of time working on this, it sounds really good to start with."  Uh... no.  We do spend a fair amount of time evaluating various choices in LAC II, but when we decide what we like, all we do it put it up the way LAC II indicates, power it properly, and don't do silly, squirrely shit with the processing.

That's it.  That's the secret sauce.  And now that we're upgrading to ITech HD, you can bet we'll run stock V5 presets.  No surprises for BEs, and no "explanations" from me - out of the box, minty-fresh current V5.  Wether you're on a 4 box 'dash' or a 16 box hang, you'll get factory performance from our rigs.

I hope Paul Bauman and David Scheirman lurk here....  There are some VerTec owners that need a little visit from Uncle Vinnie... ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:35:42 PM »

Yes. I see it all the time. Unfortunately in my market, the homebrew tunings are because the Vertecs are being powered by old macrotech amps that can be picked up cheap. Usually processing is done by an omnidrive. For some reason I keep seeing this combo over and over....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

Yes. I see it all the time. Unfortunately in my market, the homebrew tunings are because the Vertecs are being powered by old macrotech amps that can be picked up cheap. Usually processing is done by an omnidrive. For some reason I keep seeing this combo over and over....

That is why so many people want Harman to unlock V5 for Soundweb processors, as far as I can tell the only thing HDs can do that SW cannot do is the complex output limiting. I doubt Harman ever will because they don't want to kill HD sales, even if it means some people are going to use old or custom tunings.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Paul McGee

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »

If you have the option... Eyes rolling

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:29:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.