ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiple HPFs?  (Read 7048 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Multiple HPFs?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:16 AM »

What are checks, grandpa?

Checks are things you do to make sure everything is as is should be.  Cheques are what you use to pay someone!

Steve.

David R Lynes

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »

Hi

I don't post here much any more so I asked Phil Cimolai, who does, to ask for opinions on using the HP filters on the amplifiers when using digital processors and/or digital mixers.

To clarify, FOH is SC48 - UX8800 - PL380 - KF650Z/SRX728S. Monitors are M7CL - PL236 - SRX712M and Ashly 3.6SP - PL380 - SRX725/SRX728S, SRX715/SRX718S.

I've been using the QSC 50Hz filter on the passive 712s as well as the highs and mids in the 650s, and 30Hz filters on all else.

I am using the factory filter settings in the UX for the 650s, and in the Ashly for the SRX (at least as close as I can get).

Monitor mixes are also usually high passed at the console.

Do you think I should stop using the HP filters and/or clip limiters in the PL380 and PL236 amplifiers?

Thanks for your opinions...

David Lynes

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 01:41:45 AM »

Hi

I don't post here much any more

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

David R Lynes

Re: Posting Rules
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

I have tried to use my name several times over the years, but always get the message "The selected username/display name has already been taken". That's the reason I stopped posting long ago. I thought d.lynes could be a work-around.

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Please go to your profile and change the "Name" field to your real first and last name as required by the posting rules displayed in the header at the top of the section, and in the Site Rules and Suggestions in the Forum Announcements section, and on the registration page when you registered.

Mac

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

I have tried to use my name several times over the years, but always get the message "The selected username/display name has already been taken". That's the reason I stopped posting long ago. I thought d.lynes could be a work-around.

Oh well, thanks anyway.
Use a middle initial, or as a couple of other posters do, a hyphen and their city or state - i.e. "David Lynes - Timbuktu"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 06:23:33 PM »

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Your name shows up as taken because you registered an account with it the same day you registered one as d.lynes. Do a member search on your last name and you will see both accounts.

Had you ever mentioned the problem it would have been fixed.

Mac

David R Lynes

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2014, 06:33:38 PM »

Your name shows up as taken because you registered an account with it the same day you registered one as d.lynes. Do a member search on your last name and you will see both accounts.

Had you ever mentioned the problem it would have been fixed.

Mac

Thanks Mac, I thought it was probably something like that but kept getting directed in circles and gave up.

Anybody have any opinions about the original topic?

Sorry for the highjacking, Phil.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2014, 08:04:04 PM »

Hi

I don't post here much any more so I asked Phil Cimolai, who does, to ask for opinions on using the HP filters on the amplifiers when using digital processors and/or digital mixers.

To clarify, FOH is SC48 - UX8800 - PL380 - KF650Z/SRX728S. Monitors are M7CL - PL236 - SRX712M and Ashly 3.6SP - PL380 - SRX725/SRX728S, SRX715/SRX718S.

I've been using the QSC 50Hz filter on the passive 712s as well as the highs and mids in the 650s, and 30Hz filters on all else.

I am using the factory filter settings in the UX for the 650s, and in the Ashly for the SRX (at least as close as I can get).

Monitor mixes are also usually high passed at the console.

Do you think I should stop using the HP filters and/or clip limiters in the PL380 and PL236 amplifiers?

Thanks for your opinions...

David Lynes
Without know specifics-the only advice I can give is "general".

The specifics include exactly what freq-what slope-what type of filter etc.

Here is what happens with multiple HP filters.

If you have 2 hp pass filters-then the crossover filter will be higher than the highest freq they are set at-and the slope will be steeper.  So what you "think" you have will be different than what you actually have.

When you use different filters-the result could be different.

The time or phase shift will also be different-so the alignment between subs and tops could change-if it was even accounted for in the first place.

I always turn the clip eliminators on, on amplifiers.  Yes you can get a tad more output with them off-but it is not enough to even think about-and the elimination of a clipped signal is more important than a part of a dB extra output.

Personally I like to like to turn the HP filters on-in the amp-ASSUMING they are low enough to not "get in the way" with other settings in the system.

Of course I always measure, and make adjustments as needed in other parts of the system.

The reason I like to turn them on in the amp is that if somebody starts "playing around" in the DSP, then there will be a little bit of LF protection provided by the amp.

But I don't like to rely on the amp alone-and use other HP filters in the DSP.

SO-as usual-the answer is "it depends".

EVERY speaker should have a high pass filter.

A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

David R Lynes

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 11:00:18 PM »

Without know specifics-the only advice I can give is "general".

The specifics include exactly what freq-what slope-what type of filter etc.

Here is what happens with multiple HP filters.

If you have 2 hp pass filters-then the crossover filter will be higher than the highest freq they are set at-and the slope will be steeper.  So what you "think" you have will be different than what you actually have.

When you use different filters-the result could be different.

The time or phase shift will also be different-so the alignment between subs and tops could change-if it was even accounted for in the first place.

I always turn the clip eliminators on, on amplifiers.  Yes you can get a tad more output with them off-but it is not enough to even think about-and the elimination of a clipped signal is more important than a part of a dB extra output.

Personally I like to like to turn the HP filters on-in the amp-ASSUMING they are low enough to not "get in the way" with other settings in the system.

Of course I always measure, and make adjustments as needed in other parts of the system.

The reason I like to turn them on in the amp is that if somebody starts "playing around" in the DSP, then there will be a little bit of LF protection provided by the amp.

But I don't like to rely on the amp alone-and use other HP filters in the DSP.

SO-as usual-the answer is "it depends".

EVERY speaker should have a high pass filter.

Thanks, Ivan. I think I will probably keep on doing what I have been doing.

I don't know the LF HP filter type, or slope, in EAW's UX programs, or in QSC's amplifier filters, but I agree that a little extra protection is a good thing.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

Thanks, Ivan. I think I will probably keep on doing what I have been doing.

I don't know the LF HP filter type, or slope, in EAW's UX programs, or in QSC's amplifier filters, but I agree that a little extra protection is a good thing.

See my reply... but the take away is "use the same HPF on every input, every pass band."

Whatever "it" is that you hope to address is probably better addressed in protective limiting and/or a higher/steeper HPF in DSP.  I think it better to define what kind of potential failure mode or stress issues you're trying to "fix" and then address them with DSP.  That said, if doing this makes you sleep better at night, go for it.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 12:07:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.