ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Cables not working on gig but test OK.  (Read 8489 times)

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
Re: Cables not working on gig but test OK.
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »

Hey Debbie

So if the cable seems to otherwise be working ... check and see if pin 1 is connected to the shells on your XLRs.  While it shouldn't be a problem,  I have seen some funny things happen with some mixers and phantom power.  If it is just clip it.

Chinese made cables are typically wired this way even though it does not conform to AES standards.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:05 PM »

Hey Debbie

So if the cable seems to otherwise be working ... check and see if pin 1 is connected to the shells on your XLRs.  While it shouldn't be a problem,  I have seen some funny things happen with some mixers and phantom power.  If it is just clip it.

Chinese made cables are typically wired this way even though it does not conform to AES standards.

A while back we ran into a batch of cables made in our shop that tested perfectly. They had issues in the field though, each cable was microphonic and if you touched the shell you could hear it in the PA.

Cracking them open in the shop, they had been wired incorrectly with shield on pin 3. Continuity tester didn't catch it.

Ended up having to pull and visually check every Neutrik ended XLR in the company inventory to find all of the miswired cables.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »

I did check all of them and they are all good except for this one. No funky connections anywhere they shouldn't be Don ….
In fact the soldered joints are quite nicely done actually…this one just missed the mark...
And yes, Dick you are such a clever Sausage !!!
Attaching the box to a board is yet another good idea from Mr. Rees. The strain relief on this snake is also not so hot so I could in fact get creative and with the aid of a board under the box, do something to improve on that too.

Aaaah…it keeps me young !   and speaking of young ( or not so much) …today was the first day I had to use a magnifier to solder …… and I wasn't happy about it …..I used to solder in dark corners of the stage…yeah ...
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »

And yes, Dick you are such a clever Sausage !!!

Sausage, eh?

I've been called wurst...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 03:47:16 PM »

I did check all of them and they are all good except for this one. No funky connections anywhere they shouldn't be Don ….

Sorry ... that doesn't answer the question.  The question is "is pin1 connected to the shell"?
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 09:47:50 PM »

Sorry ... that doesn't answer the question.  The question is "is pin1 connected to the shell"?
No Don, that's what I was referring to when I said there were no funky connections anywhere they shouldn't be and referenced your name.  All the connections were (are) pin 1 to pin 1 -no connections to the shell.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Eric Simna

• A440 Sound
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 12:05:20 AM »

Aaaah…it keeps me young !   and speaking of young ( or not so much) …today was the first day I had to use a magnifier to solder …… and I wasn't happy about it …..I used to solder in dark corners of the stage…yeah ...

Don't feel bad Debbie.  I'm 28 and already own a jewelers lamp just for soldering. 

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2014, 02:30:41 AM »

One thing I'd add to all the other good things posted.  Get a rat sniffer/sender.  The sniffer can be used on any line that has phantom on it.  It's a great help when in battle mode and troubleshooting.  Just turn phantom on (if it isn't already) on the trouble channel then start at the mic and work back. 

If the line to the mic tests good then change out the mic with a known good one.  If it still doesn't work then it's either the console & after or the operator.  If it tests bad then you just work your way back to where it tests good and replace as needed.  Mark the questionable stuff and sort it out in the shop later.  Lots less guessing, less likely to pull out your hair during the gig too.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2014, 03:36:53 AM »

One thing I'd add to all the other good things posted.  Get a rat sniffer/sender.

Good advice.  Or if you want to make your own, send me a message and I will send the circuit diagrams for my simple single LED tester or my version of the SoundTools sniffer, both of which will show up any failure mode of a 3 way XLR cable.

Steve.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

Sausage, eh?

I've been called wurst…

;D

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2014, 11:59:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.