ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9, Dante module and Garageband 10  (Read 10612 times)

chris broadway

Re: LS9, Dante module and Garageband 10
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »

I know on the M7CL the patch screen shows little level meters beside each patch point, so I assume the LS9 does as well. When you go to the Input patch screen, do you see signal at slot 2-1?
If not, then the compute isn't sending anything. Check the track output settings (for each individual track) in Garageband to see that they're routed to the Dante channel that connects to slot 2-1 on the Dante card on the Yamaha.
Also open up the Dante Controller software and see if the inputs and outputs are patched properly.

Good point...I'll look for the input level in a few days and report back findings for situational awareness.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 12:00:23 AM »

The Dante Module is in slot two (Aviom was already in slot one).  When I create a track I first verify the input and output is the dante virtual soundcard and then I select input 1.  I have not been able to actually find a specific output channel for an individual track.  My assumption was that selecting "input 1" meant input and output.

There needs to be a way in Garage band to set up which garage band channels (instrument channels, stereo output,..) go to which dante channels.  This may be inside Garage band, or you may need to select Dante as the output device in the Sound pane in the Preferences app and maybe configure the channels/speakers in the Audio-Midi setup app (under utilities).

In Cubase there is a simple way in the mixer to route channel to any output bus. I'm not sure how Garage band does that.  it is possible garage band doesn't allow individual channels to be routed to Dante, but using preferences and audio-midi you should be able to at least route the stereo output to Dante VS.
Mark McFarlane

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:55 AM »

IME with GarageBand is that it's pretty bad at handling more that a few tracks of input/output at a time and configuring it to do so is difficult. IMO you should really try and download Reaper(free download, $60 license) and see if it works better.

chris broadway

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »

IME with GarageBand is that it's pretty bad at handling more that a few tracks of input/output at a time and configuring it to do so is difficult. IMO you should really try and download Reaper(free download, $60 license) and see if it works better.
UPDATE: I was able to verify that the LS9 was not getting a playback signal. Knowing I have never been able to find an "output" for each track in garageband, I downloaded the trail Reaper.  Bingo!!!  The output configuration was in a logical place and it works.  Thanks all!!  Hopefully someone else will see this post one day and learn from it.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

UPDATE: I was able to verify that the LS9 was not getting a playback signal. Knowing I have never been able to find an "output" for each track in garageband, I downloaded the trail Reaper.  Bingo!!!  The output configuration was in a logical place and it works.  Thanks all!!  Hopefully someone else will see this post one day and learn from it.

Glad it worked for you; it didn't take me long messing with GB to decide that there MUST be something better. For some things GB is ok but if it involves anything beyond basic routing it doesn't work well.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 01:58:05 PM »

Glad it worked for you; it didn't take me long messing with GB to decide that there MUST be something better. For some things GB is ok but if it involves anything beyond basic routing it doesn't work well.

AFAIK Garageband is a 2 track mixdown environment. There is no multitrack output. While you can record multitrack you cannot use it for "virtual soundcheck" since the onlly output is the stereo 2tr master.

Mac

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »

AFAIK Garageband is a 2 track mixdown environment. There is no multitrack output. While you can record multitrack you cannot use it for "virtual soundcheck" since the onlly output is the stereo 2tr master.

Mac
Yeah, that's all I've been able to do with it. IMO it's not very good for a 2 track mixdown either. :-) We do use it for keyboard sounds live with a MIDI controller because the keyboard player hasn't bought Mainstage.

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 02:14:32 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.