ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comedy at Xfinity Center  (Read 2259 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Comedy at Xfinity Center
« on: August 24, 2014, 02:12:18 AM »

I was at the Oddball Comedy Tour tonight at Xfinity in Hartford, CT. It was a good show, 7 comedians, including a surprise Dave Chappell who showed up to make up for his boo'd out show last year. A great time was had by all. But... Xfinity Center, step up your frickin' game!

We were on the lawn, and there about half as many arrays for the lawn as they need. In addition the video, which is pretty much all you can see from the lawn was hideous. Of the 5 screens across the shed roof #1, 3, and 5 were old tired dim projectors, and #2 and 4 were fairly low res LED screens. Both LED screen had major panel issues, and no effort seems to be made to make it better. Screen #4 had about 25% of the screen random colors from crashed pixel blocks, #2 was about 10%. There were only 2 cameras, and they were not the same aspect ratio, so the switcher stretched one of the cameras to fit the display. Every time the cameras switched the artists heads bounced from squashed to normal. To make matters worse, all comedians seem to wear black and there was a black drape upstage, and no backlight. We only saw heads and hands on video. This was an audience of at least 16,000, it was a sell out (at least they called it a sellout, I think for a rock concert they seat 24,000).

We had a great time, but the production values were very low.

Mac

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Comedy at Xfinity Center
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:31:37 AM »

To make matters worse, all comedians seem to wear black

That's something which annoys me about musicians.  It seems to be a universal rule that musicians must wear black on a dark stage with black curtains.  All you see is a face, two hands and an instrument!

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »

That's something which annoys me about musicians.  It seems to be a universal rule that musicians must wear black on a dark stage with black curtains.  All you see is a face, two hands and an instrument!

Steve.

Better then everybody talking about their beer belly.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Seth Albaum

• upsidemedia
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »

You could be talking about the show at the XFinity Center in Mansfield Mass., where I saw the tour. Same thing, no Chappelle.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:30:27 AM »

Better then everybody talking about their beer belly.

Good point.  I will get myself a black suit tomorrow!

Steve.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:25:47 PM »

Steve.

I can see the value of some comedians wearing all black.  They want you to focus on their vocal, facial, and gesticular expressions, not their fashions.  Some go the other direction and wear bright and colorful gear.

As for musicians, it could be to let the light show be the visual spectacle of the stage and to focus on hte music.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 12:45:23 PM »

We had a great time, but the production values were very low.

Mac
Contact the venue and express your opinion. Can't hurt.
The whole scaling thing in video world is very distracting.
Sounds like it's the old "we still sell tickets so why care" attitude.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

You could be talking about the show at the XFinity Center in Mansfield Mass., where I saw the tour. Same thing, no Chappelle.

No, it was Hartford. My daughter was at the show last year, and the audience boo'd Chappelle and he sat on stage for 20min without saying a thing. He came to last night's show specifically to perform for the Hartford audience. He is not on this year's tour.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.