ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Signal level confusion with Yamaha 02R  (Read 3048 times)

David Pinn

Signal level confusion with Yamaha 02R
« on: September 09, 2014, 11:50:44 PM »

This is a question about audio signal levels. It arises because I'm looking at ways of connecting my iPod into a Yamaha 02R mixer.

I have a Radial ProAV2 DI, which will accept RCA connections from my iPod. In addition to 16 mono inputs, the console has 8 stereo inputs (4 pairs), so I'm thinking those stereo inputs would be a great place to plug in the (mic. level) outputs from my DI.

The 02R's manual describes the stereo inputs like this:

"These are pairs of balanced 1/4" phone jacks with a –40 to +4 dB nominal input level."

My reading of various websites (e.g. http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml) suggests that microphone levels would fit into that -40dB to +4dB range, so I don't understand why the manual says this:

"The stereo input channels (LINE 17 through 24) accept line level signals only."

Can you help my understanding. Thanks very much for your time.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Signal level confusion with Yamaha 02R
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 11:57:58 PM »

"These are pairs of balanced 1/4" phone jacks with a –40 to +4 dB nominal input level."

My reading of various websites (e.g. http://www.ovnilab.com/articles/linelevel.shtml) suggests that microphone levels would fit into that -40dB to +4dB range, so I don't understand why the manual says this:

"The stereo input channels (LINE 17 through 24) accept line level signals only."

Can you help my understanding. Thanks very much for your time.

Those are line inputs. -40 is a pretty hot mic level, +4 is moderately hot line level. If the iPod is located at the console, eliminate the DI and go line level out of the iPod straight into the console.

Mac

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:06:38 AM »

Those are line inputs. -40 is a pretty hot mic level, +4 is moderately hot line level. If the iPod is located at the console, eliminate the DI and go line level out of the iPod straight into the console.

Mac

What Mac said.  I used an 02r for many years.  Your iPod will drive the stereo channels just fine, either direct or through a DI  An SM58 would be a little low....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

David Pinn

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 10:39:47 PM »

Thanks Mac and Brian. That's very helpful. I will get myself a 3.5mm-to-dual-1/4"-TRS cable, and give it a shot.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:55:36 PM »

The Radial SB-5 is a great, isolated, way to connect things like iPods etc.

I bought 2 after seeing them at AES last fall. I haven't used my PCDI since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Hollis

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 03:32:50 PM »

Even better use the master section 2TR IN ANALOG 2. That's what it's for, iPods. You can then route it internally. That input will give you the most appropriate interface for an iPod and leave your stereo channels for something on stage. As others have said, you don't need a DI if it's at the mixer position (short cable). The stereo channels are balanced +4 dBu, so the 2TK 2 is more matched for the iPod unbal level.

2TR IN ANALOG 2 –10 dBV (UNBAL)
These unbalanced phono connectors, nominal input level –10 dBV, are typically used to connect the analog stereo outputs of a 2-track recorder. Signals connected here can be monitored via the CONTROL ROOM MONITOR OUTs by pressing the CONTROL ROOM [2TR A2] button. In addition, these inputs can be patched to Input Channels or Insert Ins. See “2TR Analog INs” on page 54.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&asset_id=7709
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:42:04 PM by Andrew Hollis »

David Pinn

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »

I bought a 3.5mm TRS to 2 x 6.3mm TRS cable, and plugged it into the 2TR IN ANALOG 2 jacks. It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help, guys.

ProSoundWeb Community

Β« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 09:45:19 PM Β»

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.