ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Two X32s sharing stage boxes?  (Read 5734 times)

Mike Sullivan

Two X32s sharing stage boxes?
« on: August 23, 2014, 01:19:02 AM »

As bad as I hate to admit it, I'm in the process of selling my Studiolive 24ch for an X32 and stage boxes...while I've been leery of the X32, the fact that it's becoming rider friendly is becoming a big winner in my book, in addition to the iPad app. But let's say I buy 2 and want to use them as FOH/Monitors, would it be possible to connect them to the same set of boxes? And would they retain individual preamp control?
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Robert Lofgren

Re: Two X32s sharing stage boxes?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:42:16 AM »

The x32 you connect the s16 to will be the master for that stagebox. The aes50 protocol is point-to-point and not point-to-multipoint.

On the x32's you can configure it to control the headamps remotly if you want to or only apply +/-18dB of digital gain locally.

Look at the x32 wiki for some further details about such setup...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:00 AM »

Do you need the S16 in that configuration?  I thought you could just plug into the on stage X32's inputs and CAT 5 connect to the FOH X32.

Steve.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:26 AM »

Do you need the S16 in that configuration?  I thought you could just plug into the on stage X32's inputs and CAT 5 connect to the FOH X32.

Steve.

This is correct. You do not need that stage box. The Stage X32 can send all its local inputs to FOH via AES50.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:46:54 PM »

You could also have the Monitor x32 at SL and a S16 on SR with some of the inputs from the Monitor x32 used in conjunction with the S16. Just don't forget about the blocks of 8 channels patching. You could even use some inputs on the Monitor x32 combined with 2 S16s(say one on SR and one by the drums).

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 12:40:46 AM »

I believe there's one or more how-to blurbs here: http://x32wiki.music-group.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:06:49 AM »

The x32 you connect the s16 to will be the master for that stagebox. The aes50 protocol is point-to-point and not point-to-multipoint.

On the x32's you can configure it to control the headamps remotly if you want to or only apply +/-18dB of digital gain locally.

Look at the x32 wiki for some further details about such setup...

Hi Robert,

Unusually, I think your quotes above need some clarification. I could be reading it wrong, but your first two paragraphs seem to be in conflict with each other.

Although the default mode is for the X32 that is directly connected to the S16's to be the master controller, in firmware 2.0 and above the master can assign control to the farther console (thus making it the master).

As you say, though, only one console directly sets headlamp gain, and when entering split mode there is +/- 18db of digital gain available on each console.

Once you enter that split mode, though, you want to stay in it until the end of the gig, because digital gain changes on the master console (whichever physical console it is) will be lost when going from digital gain to actual gain by exiting split mode. I think digital gain is preserved on the non-master console, though, since it doesn't leave digital gain mode. Be sure to set its Sync to the AES50 A or B connector that is in use, though.

Lastly, I look at the Wiki and see much less information than in the megathread on Sound Forums.net, although it is certainly better organized and shorter in the Wiki.

I know you know all this already, but am posting for the OP.

George Dougherty

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:10:45 AM »

Hi Robert,

Unusually, I think your quotes above need some clarification. I could be reading it wrong, but your first two paragraphs seem to be in conflict with each other.

Although the default mode is for the X32 that is directly connected to the S16's to be the master controller, in firmware 2.0 and above the master can assign control to the farther console (thus making it the master).

As you say, though, only one console directly sets headlamp gain, and when entering split mode there is +/- 18db of digital gain available on each console.

Once you enter that split mode, though, you want to stay in it until the end of the gig, because digital gain changes on the master console (whichever physical console it is) will be lost when going from digital gain to actual gain by exiting split mode. I think digital gain is preserved on the non-master console, though, since it doesn't leave digital gain mode. Be sure to set its Sync to the AES50 A or B connector that is in use, though.

Lastly, I look at the Wiki and see much less information than in the megathread on Sound Forums.net, although it is certainly better organized and shorter in the Wiki.

I know you know all this already, but am posting for the OP.

Also worth noting there is no digital gain compensation like there is on Yamaha boards.  Adjust the preamp on the FOH set to master and the digital trim does not adjust to keep the monitor input gain consistent.  Add 6db at monitors, boost 3db at FOH and you now have an extra 9db of gain instead of the monitor console cutting the digital gain by 3db to stay steady at the 6db level from before.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »

Hi Robert,

Hehe, maybe posting close to 4am should be avoided :D

Your post clarified what I intended to say so...

The wiki should have all info so if something is missing could you see what needs to be updated?

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »

Also worth noting there is no digital gain compensation like there is on Yamaha boards.  Adjust the preamp on the FOH set to master and the digital trim does not adjust to keep the monitor input gain consistent.  Add 6db at monitors, boost 3db at FOH and you now have an extra 9db of gain instead of the monitor console cutting the digital gain by 3db to stay steady at the 6db level from before.
And this is why it is important to use the digital gain when the headamps are setup to avoid gain issues.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 01:48:24 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.