ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Biamped powered speakers  (Read 11016 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Biamped powered speakers
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 07:50:54 AM »

I'm looking for the speaker that will cause the least amount of problems for the best price.

Are you factoring in parts availability, service availability, warranty and such or just initial cost?

If you are just looking for initial cost, then I'd say the one which is only used by an old lady for an hour of church on Sunday, to use the car salesman analogy.

It depends on how and how much you're going to use it.  Do you need a diesel one-ton or a Mini-Cooper?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 09:36:16 AM »

I grow weary of defending China, but there is both good expensive and dubious cheap product made in China. The design is more important than where it is built.

There are a bunch of good powered cabinets made by the more established speaker companies. In general the performance of low cost gear has improved, but there will always be a bottom tier of equipment that is too cheap to work in professional situations.

Do not expect to find gold in the bargain basement bin.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »

Anyway, the Alto powered speakers are bi-amped, inexpensive and seem to be pretty reliable when not pushed past their capability.  They don't compare to my SRX 712's but they do the job that I require of them.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:23 AM »

I grow weary of defending China

Me too - but as I work for a Chinese owned company, I'm going to.

The reason people think low quality when China is mentioned is because of the usual reason for outsourcing to China - i.e to get things made as cheaply as possible.

When you do that, you get the worst quality, wherever it is made.

However, there is also some great stuff being made in China and some companies with good manufacturing methods and innovative ideas.

Also bear in mind that the things people are saying about Chinese manufacture now are exactly the same things people were saying about Japan in the 1970s and 1980s.

There is good and bad manufacturing in every country.  You can't write off a whole country's manufacturing on the basis of only seeing its worst/cheapest efforts.

The British Empire has had it's time as manufacturing leader of the world.  America's claim to that title is coming to an end and now it's China's turn.  However, as there is so much work in China now, wages are having to rise in order to keep workers so eventually their cost effectiveness will diminish.  Then it will be the turn of another country - perhaps Vietnam, India or Thailand.  Although one of our bosses at work last week said that for some things, Mexico now appears to be more cost effective than China.

Steve.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 10:11:46 AM by Steve M Smith »

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 11:28:36 AM »

I have run into powered speakers that have full-range amps with passive crossovers, and I'm getting tired of replacing burned out passive crossover components. I'm trying to avoid it.

You need to address the problem, not the symptom.  The problem here is you're attempting to drive cheap speakers beyond their capabilities.  The symptom is that the crossover is failing.  But if this speaker were 'bi-amped' as you desire, you'd just be replacing drivers instead.  As the saying goes, 'buy once, cry once'.

Thomas Le

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 02:07:29 PM »

You need to address the problem, not the symptom.  The problem here is you're attempting to drive cheap speakers beyond their capabilities.  The symptom is that the crossover is failing.  But if this speaker were 'bi-amped' as you desire, you'd just be replacing drivers instead.  As the saying goes, 'buy once, cry once'.

To expand on this, what is OP feeding to the now toasted cabs? A full mix including kick and bass while trying to reach higher SPL?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John Lackner

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »

Are you factoring in parts availability, service availability, warranty and such or just initial cost?

If you are just looking for initial cost, then I'd say the one which is only used by an old lady for an hour of church on Sunday, to use the car salesman analogy.

It depends on how and how much you're going to use it.  Do you need a diesel one-ton or a Mini-Cooper?

I am considering all of the above. They're going to be used primarily for mains for speeches and small music events, wedges for small to medium sized events, and supplemented with subs for medium sized events. They also need to be robust enough to allow me to turn my back on the DJ for a minute without getting worried. The Yamaha DXR and DSR cabinets look like a good quality choice for the type of price point I'm in. Or something around that range.

The quality level of all these powered speakers has vastly improved over the last few years.  Much better build and component quality for not much more money. In with the new, out with the old - at least in this category.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 05:29:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.