ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Biamped powered speakers  (Read 11018 times)

John Lackner

Re: Biamped powered speakers
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 09:13:04 PM »

Why is it so important that they be biamped?
I have run into powered speakers that have full-range amps with passive crossovers, and I'm getting tired of replacing burned out passive crossover components. I'm trying to avoid it.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 09:28:44 PM »

I have run into powered speakers that have full-range amps with passive crossovers, and I'm getting tired of replacing burned out passive crossover components. I'm trying to avoid it.

Which powered speakers are you having issues with? Mark C.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 09:31:51 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Thomas Le

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 09:44:37 PM »

By any chance were they cheaply priced?

John Lackner

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »

By any chance were they cheaply priced?
Yes. But I don't want to spend more money and wind up with the same problem.
Do you HEAR what you SEE? "Listen with your eyes, look with your ears" - Captain Beefheart

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 10:21:11 PM »

Yes. But I don't want to spend more money and wind up with the same problem.

So, what were they? Help someone else avoid the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

John Lackner

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2014, 11:32:48 PM »

So, what were they? Help someone else avoid the same problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mostly older American Audio, Carvin, and what I would call "NAMM show basement-DJ Alley" kind of stuff.
Sometimes you spend more and think you're getting more, but not always. Sometimes you spend less and think you're getting less, but not always.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 12:34:07 AM »

OK, but you'll find very, very few people on this site who use very low cost cheap Chinese cabinets which makes your comparison apples to oranges. First you need to state your budget and needs, then you'll get good suggestions back from the board members concerning speakers that will do the job properly. The box you use could be bi-amped, tri-amped, or using a passive crossover internally. Who cares if it sounds good and does the job? I'll also bet a paycheck any driver you've seen destroyed has been destroyed because the cabinet was driven far beyond it's capabilities.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Lackner

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 01:25:50 AM »

OK, but you'll find very, very few people on this site who use very low cost cheap Chinese cabinets which makes your comparison apples to oranges. First you need to state your budget and needs, then you'll get good suggestions back from the board members concerning speakers that will do the job properly. The box you use could be bi-amped, tri-amped, or using a passive crossover internally. Who cares if it sounds good and does the job? I'll also bet a paycheck any driver you've seen destroyed has been destroyed because the cabinet was driven far beyond it's capabilities.
They could be cheap Chinese cabinets. Or they could be expensive Chinese cabinets. Or they could be cheap Chinese cabinets with expensive name brand labels on them. You may be surprised to find who OEM's what in these boxes.
 I'm looking for the speaker that will cause the least amount of problems for the best price.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:37:22 AM by Johnlackner »

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 01:41:48 AM »

They could be cheap Chinese cabinets. Or they could be expensive Chinese cabinets. Or they could be cheap Chinese cabinets with expensive name brand labels on them. I'm just looking for something that's built to take what speakers are usually put through without breaking the bank.

I have not had issues with my last generation jbl prx600 series speakers. (612m, 615m, and 618sxlf). I have not tried to drive them for extended periods within angstroms of their lives, however. (Not saying that's what you have done; just saying there is a limit to all gear.). Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

They could be cheap Chinese cabinets. Or they could be expensive Chinese cabinets. Or they could be cheap Chinese cabinets with expensive name brand labels on them. You may be surprised to find who OEM's what in these boxes.
 I'm looking for the speaker that will cause the least amount of problems for the best price.

I think I have a pretty good understanding of what products are coming out of China John. That's still not the question. The question is and remains the same. How much are you willing to spend, and what are these cabinets going to be used for. If you don't know, or are not willing to give us the answer to those questions, then I suggest you open a Musicians Friend catalog to the cheap speaker page and throw a dart. Drivers fail because they're abused, regardless of cost.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 07:26:27 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.