ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure LX VHF Wireless Mic?  (Read 5211 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Shure LX VHF Wireless Mic?
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:23:46 AM »

Just saw a listing in the Marketplace for some older Shure LX wireless Mics. We've been wanting to get one for the lead singer in our church band, but haven't been able to afford any good wireless mics. Anyway we could fit one or two of these in the budget, how good/bad are they? Will they perform well enough for singing or would they be better just for spoken word(they have Beta 58 capsules)?

Thanks,
Tommy

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: Shure LX VHF Wireless Mic?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 07:49:35 AM »

Is the person using it going to move around so much that it absolutely MUST be a wireless mic? A wired mic would be way more reliable and sound better than a budget wireless
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Thomas Le

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 09:29:50 AM »

This wireless system was the reason I switched to UHF, kept dropping even when up close to the reciever. I wouldn't do it.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

Is the person using it going to move around so much that it absolutely MUST be a wireless mic? A wired mic would be way more reliable and sound better than a budget wireless
Absolute must? No. Really nice to have? Yes. We have wired mics at the moment and they are fine, but it would be great to have the worship leader on a wireless so he can move around if he wants.

I was mainly curious to how well these work versus modern UHF wireless(Sennheiser ew100 for example). I've had good luck with older ew100 g2 stuff, how does this compare?

Sent from my Moto X (XT1053) using Tapatalk

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 03:56:13 PM »

I've found the Shure VHF stuff from that era to be pretty bulletproof but most of my experience with it is in remote locations with not a lot of potential for interference.

I was in a Gospel band for a number of years and our lead singer had either an LX or SC handheld (pretty sure the receiver was LX but you could mix and match with SC mics). I always felt like the PA rig (and let's face it, our level of talent) held us back more than the wireless mic, let's put it that way.

With that said... the LX takes 9V batteries, which cost more and have very limited capacity if you buy the NiMH rechargeable 9V. Once you take into account the cost and hassle of keeping the mic powered (depending on how much you use it) you might be further ahead to go with something newer that you can power with AA.
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »

I've found the Shure VHF stuff from that era to be pretty bulletproof but most of my experience with it is in remote locations with not a lot of potential for interference.

I was in a Gospel band for a number of years and our lead singer had either an LX or SC handheld (pretty sure the receiver was LX but you could mix and match with SC mics). I always felt like the PA rig (and let's face it, our level of talent) held us back more than the wireless mic, let's put it that way.

With that said... the LX takes 9V batteries, which cost more and have very limited capacity if you buy the NiMH rechargeable 9V. Once you take into account the cost and hassle of keeping the mic powered (depending on how much you use it) you might be further ahead to go with something newer that you can power with AA.

Thanks, we're in a rural area so I'm thinking interference won't be too much of an issue I don't think. The nearest TV station is 30-40 miles away(I think). I'll have to check and see if any nearby stations are on the frequencies these mics use; I thought I'd read on another thread that VHF mics were a little better now because of the switch to digital TV. I don't think batteries will be a huge issue; it'll only get used one night a week on average for a couple of hours.

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:40:03 PM »

Hey Tommy...

I'm assuming your talking about my post in the market place. I have 2 of the units left if you are really interested.

We used them in a small worship center 100x70 and they worked fine in that room. We just did an upgrade and what didn't need wireless went wired and what needed wireless was replaced with Shure SLX units.
These units have some age on them but are in good working condition.

We had 4 and all 4 ran through the Shure WA405 antenna distribution center so we never used them with just the back antennas. Don't know if that helped any from keeping the units from dropping out but iv never had dropout or interference problems with these units. They were mounted in a rack upstairs in a loft. Like I said never had a issue. We are replacing the units due to full system update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »

Hey Tommy...

I'm assuming your talking about my post in the market place. I have 2 of the units left if you are really interested.

We used them in a small worship center 100x70 and they worked fine in that room. We just did an upgrade and what didn't need wireless went wired and what needed wireless was replaced with Shure SLX units.
These units have some age on them but are in good working condition.

We had 4 and all 4 ran through the Shure WA405 antenna distribution center so we never used them with just the back antennas. Don't know if that helped any from keeping the units from dropping out but iv never had dropout or interference problems with these units. They were mounted in a rack upstairs in a loft. Like I said never had a issue. We are replacing the units due to full system update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, it was your listing. Our room is smaller than that so I imagine that we won't have a problem. I'll talk to the guys and may buy one from your eBay listing. Worst case it doesn't work well and I can probably resell for what I pay for it. I wish we could just buy a Sennheiser ew100(or similar), but a $500+ mic isn't in the budget.

Thanks for the info, you'll probably be hearing from me pretty soon about buying one.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.