ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: USB LIMITATIONS ON X32?????  (Read 15767 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: USB LIMITATIONS ON X32?????
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »

My only point about data conversion is that I don't want three versions of the same thing regardless of bit depth, compression and or otherwise. And seeing as how I have an AAC, MP4, MP3 version of something already, a converted wave version of it is worthless to me. I prefer to collect my music in wave lossless if at all possible, but that is not par for the course yet when purchasing via Apple or Google play.

I can see that on the one hand, but on the other playing walkin music via the built-in USB connector is so handy sometimes. No extra device to drag in and connect and have to place somewhere, no extra power needed and no battery to have to charge, etc. I have the USB drive with me anyway usually because I've built the show elsewhere and taken it to the gig on the stick, so it's easy. I have no problem having a small music library that is only for X32 shows.

YMMV, though, and the way the interface is designed (see earlier rant) all bets are off if there are playback cues for the show. The built in recorder/player is useless for that.

It is quite useful for making easy recordings off the console.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »

The X32 plays/records WAV files only.  On another forum it was explained by a Behringer person that they didn't want the MP3 codec licensing fee added to the cost of every console made.

That's interesting. MP3 license cost for a hardware player is 75 cents/unit but the license cost for "commercial broadcast", "content distribution" and "physical media" is 2% of 'related revenue'.  I wonder if the lawyers decided that the X32 could potentially fall under the second license type.  I can't imagine forgoing a 75 cent royalty for such an important convenience feature.

Maybe they just didn't want people's illegally downloaded 64kb mp3 files played through their systems because they sound like crap, which gives the console a bad name.  Might be a brand management decision, publicly claimed as a licensing issue.

Still, idiots will convert their 64 kbs mp3s to waves to play...  I request .wav files for client-supplied music,for dance/karaoke/... I explain rthe ecompression problems, and I still get~ 25% crappy mp3s converted to wav because 'thats all we could find (on You Tube)".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:54:18 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

I love the convenience of playing off of the USB port as well. My LS9 does it with ease. However it also doesn't care what file format it is. Most often when I get to a gig and they want entrance music, I end up playing a Pandora station of their requested genre. Now if I had my entire music library I could see pulling my music into a playlist. Being that I have such a huge volume of music though, I can't imagine copying it all into specific wave format duplicates...... I would go from 126 gigs to nearly a terabyte after converting it all into 44.1k and 48k wave files.

I did a show one year where I requested all music be sent to me ahead of time so I can compile and test. It was so amazing to be able to get all the songs in one folder and in order and literally hit play and pause! As nice as that was, the quality of the media was not. Nothing worse than the self proclaimed producer that has tried to scrunch as much bass and volume as can be done ( very poorly ) and then gives it to me in 64kbs quality. And when they finally hear it through a PA of decent quality they ask why it sounds so bad? It's a 3 min. long song and is about 1mb in size. Could you give it to me any more compressed?
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.