ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: USB LIMITATIONS ON X32?????  (Read 15585 times)

James A. Griffin

USB LIMITATIONS ON X32?????
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:21:10 PM »

I am unable to use a USB larger than 8GB for playing music on my X32 Core w 2.05 firmware.  When I load a 16G or 32G with music, it only recognizes 5 or 6 songs.  No other songs are visible or usable.    I've not yet tried it on the X32 itself.

Anyone else have similar experience?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: USB LIMITATIONS ON X32?????
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:58 PM »

I am unable to use a USB larger than 8GB for playing music on my X32 Core w 2.05 firmware.  When I load a 16G or 32G with music, it only recognizes 5 or 6 songs.  No other songs are visible or usable.    I've not yet tried it on the X32 itself.

Anyone else have similar experience?

I've been recording to both 16GB and 32Gb sticks without a problem.  Haven't tried playing them back on the console, but all the files appear in the directory.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »

Your lucky you can even get the X32 to even play files from a USB stick. It is a very picky unit that will only play MP3's of a specific compression ratio. It records fine though.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Gary Weller

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 03:34:16 PM »

Your lucky you can even get the X32 to even play files from a USB stick. It is a very picky unit that will only play MP3's of a specific compression ratio. It records fine though.

Mine plays files with no problem at all. They must be wav files the same 44.1 or 48.0 depending on the console's settings. MP3's won't play at all IIRC.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:31 PM »

Mine plays files with no problem at all. They must be wav files the same 44.1 or 48.0 depending on the console's settings. MP3's won't play at all IIRC.

This is exactly right.

Also, I use a 64Gig drive to play music and it works just fine. OP has a config problem, methinks.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:42 PM »

The X32 plays/records WAV files only.  On another forum it was explained by a Behringer person that they didn't want the MP3 codec licensing fee added to the cost of every console made.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

James A. Griffin

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »

, I use a 64Gig drive to play music and it works just fine. OP has a config problem, methinks.

Your X32 or X32 Core plays the 64G drive?
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 07:07:47 PM »

I can't get either of my X32's to play OR record. It will save/load show files just fine though.

I'm using the tiny Sandisk thumbdrives.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 12:32:28 AM »

Both a 16 and a 32Gb thumb drive work on mine.  I have used 4 different drives.  3 that worked, and one that messed up and only the first song on a drive would work without skips.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »

Apparently, a number of folks on the Behringer forum have had trouble using SanDisk with the X32.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 04:11:13 AM »

Sorry, skipped over that it was your Core.

That said, I believe my 64 Gig works on the Core, but will try it tomorrow to see for sure.

George Dougherty

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »

I can't get either of my X32's to play OR record. It will save/load show files just fine though.

I'm using the tiny Sandisk thumbdrives.

Search for FAT32 formatting utilities.  There's something about those drives and the windows FAT32 format routine that doesn't play well with the X32.  Might search on the forums @ Behringer, vaguely recall having left a how to over there in a thread with a link to a utility.  Used one from a drive vendor or something.  I have three of them I use between 2 consoles and they all work fine now, not so much initially.

Luke Geis

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

correct about the wave file format. But seeing as how most of my stuff is AAC or mp4 I will darned if i'm going to create wave equivalents in 44.1 and 48k. The recording works great though. I just use and ipod or other devise for music playback.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:22:23 PM »

correct about the wave file format. But seeing as how most of my stuff is AAC or mp4 I will darned if i'm going to create wave equivalents in 44.1 and 48k. The recording works great though. I just use and ipod or other devise for music playback.
I would not listen to a mp4 converted into wav anyway  :o

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »

That's a pretty broad statement not knowing anything else about the file.

Mac

George Dougherty

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »

Unless you'd also state you'd never listen to an MP4, this is an absurd statement.

An MP4 converted to WAV would be identical to the output of said MP4, unless you used a subpar converter as compared to what's found in most players.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 12:53:48 PM »

Guys... The .mp4 extension is a video format; AAC(.m4a) is the extension used for the audio only MPEG-4 codec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

Anyway, the advantage I see to using music converted to wav on a flash drive is that the playback can be controlled with the x32 iPad app. Other than that it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 05:44:47 PM »

Hi James,

Sorry I couldn't get to it yesterday, but just checked it today and yes, the 64G drive plays fine in the Core. I tried a Rack, too, with the same results.

I'm using a Victorinox drive that looks like a little Swiss Army knife which I think is not available anymore; I got it because it folds up and because it's orange so I can find it in the dark. I don't know that it's special in any other way.

Again, are you sure that your Core is set to the same sample frequency as the program on the USB stick? And they're WAV files?

FWIW and this is another opportunity for me to complain about this, the visuals on the iPad for the recorder are wretched in that you can only see one playback item at a time, but that's consistent across all X32 devices and is a programming fault rather than with the Core or Rack. It looks the same crappy way when used with the full size console.

IMHO you should be able to see all playback items just like you can on the consoles' (full-size, Producer, and I assume Compact) display screen. How else can you know where you want to jump to next?

/derail

George Dougherty

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 07:50:33 PM »

Guys... The .mp4 extension is a video format; AAC(.m4a) is the extension used for the audio only MPEG-4 codec.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4_Part_14

Anyway, the advantage I see to using music converted to wav on a flash drive is that the playback can be controlled with the x32 iPad app. Other than that it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

Technically, MP4 is a container format used for all kinds of data, not just video.  More often than not the audio is a compressed stream whether accompanied by video or not.   Whether or not it includes video, obviously only the audio portion could be converted to the WAV container, which itself may or may not be compressed.  More often than not WAV containers have uncompressed audio.

The advantage you note, is exactly why I use it to trigger sound cues and a regular set of pre-show music used for one band, but not for music playback otherwise.

Luke Geis

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 11:15:12 PM »

My only point about data conversion is that I don't want three versions of the same thing regardless of bit depth, compression and or otherwise. And seeing as how I have an AAC, MP4, MP3 version of something already, a converted wave version of it is worthless to me. I prefer to collect my music in wave lossless if at all possible, but that is not par for the course yet when purchasing via Apple or Google play.

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:05:37 AM »

My only point about data conversion is that I don't want three versions of the same thing regardless of bit depth, compression and or otherwise. And seeing as how I have an AAC, MP4, MP3 version of something already, a converted wave version of it is worthless to me. I prefer to collect my music in wave lossless if at all possible, but that is not par for the course yet when purchasing via Apple or Google play.

I can see that on the one hand, but on the other playing walkin music via the built-in USB connector is so handy sometimes. No extra device to drag in and connect and have to place somewhere, no extra power needed and no battery to have to charge, etc. I have the USB drive with me anyway usually because I've built the show elsewhere and taken it to the gig on the stick, so it's easy. I have no problem having a small music library that is only for X32 shows.

YMMV, though, and the way the interface is designed (see earlier rant) all bets are off if there are playback cues for the show. The built in recorder/player is useless for that.

It is quite useful for making easy recordings off the console.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:03 AM »

The X32 plays/records WAV files only.  On another forum it was explained by a Behringer person that they didn't want the MP3 codec licensing fee added to the cost of every console made.

That's interesting. MP3 license cost for a hardware player is 75 cents/unit but the license cost for "commercial broadcast", "content distribution" and "physical media" is 2% of 'related revenue'.  I wonder if the lawyers decided that the X32 could potentially fall under the second license type.  I can't imagine forgoing a 75 cent royalty for such an important convenience feature.

Maybe they just didn't want people's illegally downloaded 64kb mp3 files played through their systems because they sound like crap, which gives the console a bad name.  Might be a brand management decision, publicly claimed as a licensing issue.

Still, idiots will convert their 64 kbs mp3s to waves to play...  I request .wav files for client-supplied music,for dance/karaoke/... I explain rthe ecompression problems, and I still get~ 25% crappy mp3s converted to wav because 'thats all we could find (on You Tube)".
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:54:18 AM by Mark McFarlane »
Mark McFarlane

Luke Geis

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

I love the convenience of playing off of the USB port as well. My LS9 does it with ease. However it also doesn't care what file format it is. Most often when I get to a gig and they want entrance music, I end up playing a Pandora station of their requested genre. Now if I had my entire music library I could see pulling my music into a playlist. Being that I have such a huge volume of music though, I can't imagine copying it all into specific wave format duplicates...... I would go from 126 gigs to nearly a terabyte after converting it all into 44.1k and 48k wave files.

I did a show one year where I requested all music be sent to me ahead of time so I can compile and test. It was so amazing to be able to get all the songs in one folder and in order and literally hit play and pause! As nice as that was, the quality of the media was not. Nothing worse than the self proclaimed producer that has tried to scrunch as much bass and volume as can be done ( very poorly ) and then gives it to me in 64kbs quality. And when they finally hear it through a PA of decent quality they ask why it sounds so bad? It's a 3 min. long song and is about 1mb in size. Could you give it to me any more compressed?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 22 queries.