ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ice Bucket Challenge & High Voltage Power Lines  (Read 9862 times)

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
Re: Ice Bucket Challenge & High Voltage Power Lines
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:58:05 PM »

IIRC, the NFPA standards for firefighter's helmets (structural fires) provides for a minimum dialectric rating. I don't recall for wildland fire helmets. Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 12:07:24 PM »

A number of the reports I've read from the BIG power companies putting high tension lines (110 to 250+ KV or more?) over farm fields suggest that a 14 ft minimum clearance must be maintained from these lines.
A rule of thumb I've heard is to maintain a clearance of twice the length of the insulators plus 10 feet. Some high tension lines have insulators approaching 10 feet in length.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

A rule of thumb I've heard is to maintain a clearance of twice the length of the insulators plus 10 feet. Some high tension lines have insulators approaching 10 feet in length.

I've probably posted this link before, but it's really relevant to this thread. Bonneville Power Authority (BPA) has written some really excellent articles about safety around high voltage power lines. Here's the link to the full PDF: http://www.bpa.gov/news/pubs/GeneralPublications/lusi-Living-and-working-safely-around-high-voltage-power-lines.pdf

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

I talked to the local news reporter who covered this accident, and he sent me a few links to the story. This first link is the news conference immediately after the accident. It has some pretty good video of the power lines and truck boom involved. All the stories say that the boom didn't actually contact the lines. http://www.wave3.com/clip/10498065/raw-campbellsville-police-chief

Here's the story about the condition of the firefighters involved. It appears that the two men in the bucket were severely injured, while two others in the truck were treated and released with minor injuries. http://www.wave3.com/story/26341190/4-firefighters-shocked-while-helping-with-campbellsville-university-ice-bucket-challenge-idd

Note that there's a lot of confusion about how far an arc can jump. I'm going to follow up with the POCO for some more info later. I have a few firefighter buddies I can ask about this, including one who works for my local Power Company.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:11:03 PM »

My inner engineer is saying only a few CM or single digit inches at 60kV, but that is under good conditions. Stuff can always happen (like static discharges) that will jump across a larger gap and once the low current arc is started it will keep going. 

Safety margins of 10-15 feet are entirely reasonable, while it doesn't seem that the phases are spaced that far apart up on the poles (I think). The really high voltage major distribution lines probably are. Higher up off the ground too.

Spacing inside gear for 120V primary wiring is like 1/4" and sparks won't jump 1/4" at 120V, but stuff happens so that is the standard.

Who in his right mind will admit publicly to bumping into a power line? Especially somebody who should know better? The press reports I saw said they did not touch.  It is an unfortunate accident and hopefully getting burned once is enough.   

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 10:51:52 PM »

Kind of hard to gauge a distance on this-also keep in mind he is not solidly grounded.  Its graphic enough to keep me away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGoaXZwFlJ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Steve Swaffer

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 01:44:08 AM »

a lot of the small residential overhead lines here in la are around 35,000 volts minimum. they go up from that. la is spread out and the voltage needs to be high.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:01:46 AM by Jeff Harrell »

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 04:33:59 PM »

Steve Swaffer

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »

The flying is equally impressive

Sent from my To Be Filled By O.E.M. using Tapatalk
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bill McIntosh

• Louisville KY
You always have to do the right thing, but that's not enough. You have a job where people have to trust you. You have to LOOK like you're doing the right thing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.