ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: show file compatibility between Si Expression and Performer?  (Read 5426 times)

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
show file compatibility between Si Expression and Performer?
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:30:30 AM »

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before: the band I work for as FOH engineer is going to play a gig tomorrow where we'll have a VEEERY strict soundcheck timing. Desk will be an SI Expression, I already have a show file saved from an Si Performer and I wonder if they would be compatible... Anyone knows? Thanks!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: show file compatibility between Si Expression and Performer?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:54 AM »

I would doubt that they are compatible due to the many subtle differences in the board. What you might do is download the off line editor and create the file you need for the show, or try your file with it and see what happens with no risk to you or the board.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »

Soundcraft small format Si show files are all compatible in the same way all Vi files are!

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 01:12:48 AM »

I apologize in advance if this has been asked before: the band I work for as FOH engineer is going to play a gig tomorrow where we'll have a VEEERY strict soundcheck timing. Desk will be an SI Expression, I already have a show file saved from an Si Performer and I wonder if they would be compatible... Anyone knows? Thanks!

I seem to recall my buddy having issues with one of the bands trying to pull an Expression file up on his Performer for a show one time.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »

I seem to recall my buddy having issues with one of the bands trying to pull an Expression file up on his Performer for a show one time.

That doesn't surprise me too much - Vi6 files often come up weird on a Vi1. I appreciate what they're doing by making the files compatible, but I ultimately prefer Digico's solution. The generic file compatibility never works quite as well as you 'd hope in my experience. I'm sure they could have made their files compatible, but their file converter forces you to quickly address the compatibility issues before loading the file on the desk. You choose exactly which channels, auxes and etx come over and which get dumped if necessary.

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »

thanks everybody, in the end I opted for a full soundcheck that went ruined anyway cause the other band's BE, who did soundcheck after us, messed up the show saving procedure, overwrote my show and I had to do a 7 minutes long emergency soundcheck right before the show hahaha :D

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »

Bummer! I try to always put my show on a flash drive if another engineer is going to touch the console before my show.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »

Bummer! I try to always put my show on a flash drive if another engineer is going to touch the console before my show.

As your humble system engineer, I save everybody's show file to USB.  Ya never know.....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »

How did the BE screw up the save for the show file? It's a 2 button deal, plus you could have saved 100 copies to the board if you wanted.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

How did the BE screw up the save for the show file? It's a 2 button deal, plus you could have saved 100 copies to the board if you wanted.

I imagine the BE just saved over his, instead of making a new one. You and Tim are correct though - a good system tech should be managing the multiple BE file process. That said, it ultimately falls on each of is to secure our own files.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 06:52:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 23 queries.