ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?  (Read 21337 times)

Michael Ray

Re: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »

I wanna just load a nice sized rig into a shipping container and just move over there. It could be profitable. :D 32 VTX25s, 48 G28s, maybe an SL320 or two...
I wish I could have that setup as well. But thats way over my budget. lol. I cant get any loans, i dont own a house. c'est la vie mon frere.

Michael Ray

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »

Michael, I see the welcoming committee has already introduced themselves. ;)  If you were in the USA or almost anywhere in Europe, I'd have other suggestions.

That said, I think they will be better than ANY Chinese bastardisation of another manufacturer's line array.  Operated within their design limits I think you'll be happier with the Turbo and benefit from having a known brand name system.
I am in the US. I live in Columbus, Ohio. As for the chinese line array. There is a guy who swears by his setup. I am going to hear them this september at a festival he is using them at. They are these ones...  http://www.cjkaudio.com/Product.asp?id=380&pType=14
There are powered and with shipping included, 16 of these are only alittle over 14k. So thats why I was thinking these. Plus all the speakers in my country are chinese or random.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 08:40:09 AM by Michael Ndaribamare »

Thomas Le

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2014, 09:53:26 AM »

As others have noted, you might well just burn your money. Not only do Chinese line arrays will sound bad, but they might be treading on copyright infringement based on the design of more reputable brands. There was a thread where OP got grilled because of posting about bragging on his friends copycat l'acoustics rig.

Stick with reputable brands or rent from another sound company that has the right equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael Ray

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »

As others have noted, you might well just burn your money. Not only do Chinese line arrays will sound bad, but they might be treading on copyright infringement based on the design of more reputable brands. There was a thread where OP got grilled because of posting about bragging on his friends copycat l'acoustics rig.

Stick with reputable brands or rent from another sound company that has the right equipment.
I never thought of it in that way. the whole copyright infringement. thanks for the info. I shall heed all of your guys' warnings.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:31 AM »

Well Thomas, the issue is that there's no option to do a cross rent like we would typically do here in the US, since the only other companies are out of his (destination) country. So whereas the thought is nice, they're either going to still hire the out-of-country company, with the associated cost, or they're going to have to build their own rig.

Back to the Turbosound rig, there's not much that can be said now, that has not already been said. Decent rig... for the 80s/90s. Today, it'll work but you'd have to be damn careful not to break anything as replacement parts are going to be either cost prohibitive, or non-existent, or both.

As for what you have now.... you have a bunch of mis matched subs. And JRX boxes, which are about the bottom of JBL's barrel. And a stage? Staging can make big bucks, at least in my neck of the woods. But are you planning on bringing all of this stuff to Africa with you, or sell it all and buy one larger system?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »

I never thought of it in that way. the whole copyright infringement.

It's not copyright infringement as copyright deals with artistic works. However, it could be trade dress infringement - see the almost looking EV logos on the line arrays on another recent thread and it's also fraud - passing something off as something else.

The good news is that you're not guilty of either just by buying it!

Steve.

Ian Mansfield

• Multimedia Entertainment Group
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 02:00:26 PM »

Michael, which country in Africa are you going to be based in ?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 04:10:46 PM »

Michael, which country in Africa are you going to be based in ?

Also, I think you are biting off a lot more than you can chew.

Instead of making the jump from the wedding/DJ market up to a 20,000 person festival, why don't you focus on the ~500 person club rock show? This requires you to buy everything on a much smaller scale, but you get to learn what works and what doesn't. 15k-20k in USD could get you a club system that would work. Focus on buying cabinets that will scale up or down easily. EAW's KF650's work great in this market, are scalable, and don't cost that much on the used market.

Sell your JRX and all those mismatched subs too. Buy monitors that have a pole cup. This lets you pull double duty with your inventory. Need speakers on tripods for a wedding? Use the monitors.

Buy one type of sub only. The SRX 728 series is nice because it comes in 118 and 218 styles which can be mixed and matched however you like.

Buy digital consoles. They hands down are cheaper in the long run over analog desks with FX racks and cabling to make it all work. Don't be tempted to buy that Allen and Heath 40 channel desk from a church just because it's 500 bucks. The outboard, racks, cabling, and truck space just aren't worth it from an investment standpoint.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 07:18:32 PM »

"im thinking"... I wish i had more than 15k, but all i have once i quit my dead end job to pursue this dream. I am a 28 year old MBA grad who cant find an entry level job due to inexperience. I have already purchased a stage for rental and that was the initial company I was going to start, but I found that sound would be more lucrative. So i bought some small stuff to do weddings and medium sized concerts. I have 2 of each of the following subs yorkville tx9, ls2100p, ls1208, ls808. and I was going to pair them depending on the size of the events with jbl jrx125 (i have 10 of these). for smaller wedding type events i have 2 yorkvile ex2 (the 2 highs and sub) and then have 2 powered jbl 18" subs and 2 qsc k12. I have mixers and lighting. Ive been slowly buying stuff of craigslist. I have 5k in my savings to worry about processors and extra cables and stuff. As you can see Im trying. I still want to know if the turbosound are good for the kind of music I want to do. They fall into my budget. Larger concerts would make more money rather than moving to Africa just to kinda get by. Ive helped set up PAs before, I just dont have experience with these old models (how they sound).

Hey it's great that you have an MBA, I do not but what I do have is 30+ years of serial entrepreneurial ventures.  Some worked, some didn't.  I learned the most from the ones that didn't.

You know in your heart that you don't have sufficient capital to do arena's or 20k participant outdoor festivals.  Well spent that 15k can start a business.  You need a business plan and a budget.  Whatever you do don't buy things used because they are a good deal if you are short on funds.  Buy only what fits your plan.

Have you found the deal of a lifetime?  Who knows, you have to go look at them, test them and then try and model them in modern software and see if they will do what you want (the only real criteria IMHO).

Again best of luck to you.  I almost went to Liberia to install a microwave backbone for wireless.  Glad I didn't as that country still struggles with unrest.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »

Here is my 2 cents.

Quit while your ahead. 15K will never get you enough to do a 10,000 person outdoor event. Here is the other hard end. The bigger the event your doing the lower the profit margin. By the time you factor in labor, incidentals, insurance and travel costs, you will have very little left. The reason the smaller wedding and club gigs are so popular is because there is actually a profit margin that far exceeds the larger event production houses. At least on a per person ratio. The larger houses have to have MILLIONS of dollars worth of gear to move around the country. They spend thousands upon thousands for labor and all other costs. When all is said and done, like many businesses, the only person making any real money is the owner. This is great if you can move a PA out every weekend year round and charge full pop for it and never have any issues.

I have roughly 60k worth of gear and don't expect to retire with it if that is any indication. If I could move all of it out every week I would make a LOT of money, but I would also want to kill everyone around me. If I employ people I suddenly don't make the money anymore even though the work is there. The more you move the equipment out, the more the repair costs are. I would have to go from a relatively long life cycle of 10 years to a 5 year cycle for equipment replacement. Most old ( 15+ year old ) equipment that is still in a company, is there because it costs less to keep it and rent it out than it would to sell it and buy new stuff to replace it. It gets stuck in a vicious loop. To old to demand real money in rental and resale, but worth more than selling because you can still make money off of it. It is usually sold when a company can finally no longer move it out enough to even pay for the space it consumes and have finally replaced it with a more viable system that does.

Don't expect to spend that 15K on an antiquated system and make a million bucks. It will not happen. You will get your money back and then you will from then on be spending that profit to stay in the game. Real systems cost real money, plain and simple. I don't own a real PA as far as I'm concerned. I own money makers. Stuff that moves, makes money and is easy to repair and replace.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 08:27:57 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.