ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?  (Read 21241 times)

Michael Ray

should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?
« on: August 20, 2014, 06:27:23 AM »

Hello,

My brother and I are starting a sound company in Africa and we are looking for used equipment here in the US. My brother is the engineer, so I am a newbie. Basically we want to be able to handle shows (outdoor festivals) for around 10,000 people. The music will mainly be live bands and hiphop music playback.

Now for the question, there is an add on craigslist that states "28 box speaker system for sale. 9000.00 cash For all 28 boxes. The speaker system includes 12 turbosound TMS3 top cabinets, and 16 bass max L2 subs. I have used this speaker system for many outdoor concerts with well over 20,000 people with no lack of coverage."

specs for the 3-ways are here.... http://www.sonoeseo.com/files/docs/Turbosound_TMS-3.pdf

is this a good system for what we want to do?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:47:59 AM by kebuka »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: should i buy 12 Turbosound TMS-3 for outdoor concerts?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 07:33:31 AM »

Hello,

My brother and I are starting a sound company in Africa and we are looking for used equipment here in the US. My brother is the engineer, so I am a newbie. Basically we want to be able to handle shows (outdoor festivals) for around 10,000 people. The music will mainly be live bands and hiphop music playback.

Now for the question, there is an add on craigslist that states "28 box speaker system for sale. 9000.00 cash For all 28 boxes. The speaker system includes 12 turbosound TMS3 top cabinets, and 16 bass max L2 subs. I have used this speaker system for many outdoor concerts with well over 20,000 people with no lack of coverage."

specs for the 3-ways are here.... http://www.sonoeseo.com/files/docs/Turbosound_TMS-3.pdf

If you have used it and are happy with it-then what is the question?  I assume it is within your budget?

That is a good price-assuming everything works----------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Michael Ray

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:54:31 AM »

If you have used it and are happy with it-then what is the question?  I assume it is within your budget?

Hey, I have never heard these speakers or seen them. My question is, would these be good speakers and enough speakers for what I want to do. As in, having an outdoor festival with live music and also acts that have playback music (with a lot of low end like hiphop) for 10,000 people. I know these are old, so I don't know if the technology is dated for the type of music I will be playing through them. Thanks for your quick reply.

p.s. my budget is like $15k including amps. if you have other speaker brands that you would suggest that would be great too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:57:40 AM by kebuka »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:59:10 AM »

Ivan, The SELLER said:
 "28 box speaker system for sale. 9000.00 cash For all 28 boxes. The speaker system includes 12 turbosound TMS3 top cabinets, and 16 bass max L2 subs. I have used this speaker system for many outdoor concerts with well over 20,000 people with no lack of coverage."

12 TMS-3 might be just on the edge for R&R with 10K waterbags, but I would not be a happy camper pushing 30 year old boxes that hard. EDM/Hip-hop, no frickin way.

Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:29 AM »

Hello,

Ask your brother the engineer.

BTW, you need to change your handle to your real, full name to be in compliance with forum rules. 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Michael Ray

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:10:32 AM »

Ask your brother the engineer.

BTW, you need to change your handle to your real, full name to be in compliance with forum rules.

thank you, I changed the name. Also, my brother went to SAE or something and I know he knows how to hook up a PA, but knowledge of all sorts of set ups, especially legacy systems, I doubt he knows. My knowledge is in studio setups. That's why I find myself here today, because the craigslist add seemed to be over selling its self. Sorry for wasting peoples time. But if you know of any suggestions it would be helpful also, because all I know are setups that ive seen locally that cost over $50k-100k. And my budget is like $15 or a little more.

Michael Ray

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:19 AM »

12 TMS-3 might be just on the edge for R&R with 10K waterbags, but I would not be a happy camper pushing 30 year old boxes that hard. EDM/Hip-hop, no frickin way.

Thanks, I figured the description was over reaching. I thank you. Any suggestions for a 15k budget?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »

Thanks, I figured the description was over reaching. I thank you. Any suggestions for a 15k budget?

Michael...

Perhaps you could look at what others in the area where you'll be are using for such shows.  Often times people judge by the gear used instead of results when hiring production.  If you're going to produce yourself, then maybe it's not so much of a problem.

You might want to consider hiring equipment per gig/season rather than owning until the business proves up.  Pushing a budget system hard may well require a significant repair fund...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Michael Ray

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 08:36:01 AM »

Michael...

Perhaps you could look at what others in the area where you'll be are using for such shows.  Often times people judge by the gear used instead of results when hiring production.  If you're going to produce yourself, then maybe it's not so much of a problem.

You might want to consider hiring equipment per gig/season rather than owning until the business proves up.  Pushing a budget system hard may well require a significant repair fund...
I like what your saying, that's why I might go with these line arrays from china. in my country we have no big sound company. when there is a large concert they have to bring equipment from neighboring country and that costs the concert promoters $30k. So we want to do this because it is lucrative, but we also love live sound. I never thought about repairs, so that's something to think about. Thanks again

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

that's why I might go with these line arrays from china.

I think you would be better off with the Turbosound cabinets.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 08:41:49 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 25 queries.