ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: getting vocals on top - acoustic band  (Read 8137 times)

Sam Helvan

getting vocals on top - acoustic band
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:55:21 AM »

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have about 3 years experience with live sound for rock bands. Last weekend I’ve mixed an acoustic folk band, there were only string instruments. The sound was not perfect, but good enough for a first time. Since I’ll be doing many more gigs with this band in the next months, I would like to improve the sound until it’s almost perfect…

I’ve been struggling to keep the vocals on top of the mix. They always disappeared in the mix and if I turned up them up until they were clearly audible, they were too loud. It seemed as if there was no good trade-off.
I was not using compressors, and the venue had a nasty ‘hollow’ reverb.

Might compressing solve this problemem? If so, should I insert compressors on the individual channels, or rather on the vocal sub group?

Kind regards,
Sam

Mark Rombouts

Re: getting vocals on top - acoustic band
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 06:18:24 AM »

Did you listen to the vocal mic on your headphones ? How did it sound ? Clear vocal, or lot's of spill ?

I would say that using a compressor in this situation may make things worse, but it depends on al lot of different this.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 07:32:13 AM »

You ned to learn how to mix by sonic content, not by volume.

This should be in the Lounge or the Basement.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:35:11 AM »

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have about 3 years experience with live sound for rock bands. Last weekend I’ve mixed an acoustic folk band, there were only string instruments. The sound was not perfect, but good enough for a first time. Since I’ll be doing many more gigs with this band in the next months, I would like to improve the sound until it’s almost perfect…

I’ve been struggling to keep the vocals on top of the mix. They always disappeared in the mix and if I turned up them up until they were clearly audible, they were too loud. It seemed as if there was no good trade-off.

Might compressing solve this problemem? If so, should I insert compressors on the individual channels, or rather on the vocal sub group?

Kind regards,
Sam
Either one of two things.

If you can't hear the vocals-then that means that "something else" is to loud.  TURN IT DOWN.

If the vocalists are singing into the mics-then get them to.

Don't look for "fancy solutions" to simple problems.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Sam Helvan

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 07:52:58 AM »

Thanks for your answers!

This should be in the Lounge or the Basement.

Sorry, didn't noticed the Lounge is intended for newbies. @MOD: can you move this topic?

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:12:58 AM »

If the vocalists are singing into the mics-then get them to.

Get them to do what they're already doing?  ??? Typo perhaps?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »

Get them to do what they're already doing?  ??? Typo perhaps?

I think Ivan meant "if they'rrre nae singin' inta th' mics"...
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 01:19:16 PM by dick rees »

David Parker

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 01:06:46 PM »

Kind regards,
Sam
turn everything off except the vocals. Do they sound good and clear? If not, work with EQ, mic selection, mic technique. If they do sound good alone, then gradually turn the other instruments up until the vocals don't sound good any more. then back them off again until they do. If you listen to pre-recorded professionally mastered music, the music is usually a lot lower than what we try to do live, and that's why the vocals get lost. When you turn the guitars down, they likely sound bad until your ears adjust, then they sound fine. Guitars and vocals are in the same frequency range. You can't have them both in your face at the same time.  Monitors are another culprit. If everything is too loud in the monitors, nothing is going to sound good off stage.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 01:20:51 PM »

It's an acoustic string band.  EVERYTHING is in the vocal range...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

How loud are the monitors?   I have a hypothesis...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.