ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Speaker Suggestions  (Read 10675 times)

Tim Martin

Church Speaker Suggestions
« on: August 19, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »

We recently remodeled our sanctuary and have a fully capable Presonus board and huge amps ready to power a set of speakers that will give clear sound (especially for regular speaking voice -- sermons) We are traditional regarding worship, so don't need huge concert-like speakers. We actually would like some sort of cluster or row of smaller speakers that would be aesthetically pleasing above the pulpit somehow. The room is 40'wide x 30' deep, with 14' high acoustic tile ceiling. We have carpet, padded chair seating and drywall walls. Budget? $1000-2000? We just want something to help amplify the  voices of the pastor and worship leader. They both use wireless mics. Please direct me to some speakers that we should consider.

btw, we are interested in something that has short vertical footprint. More of a horizontal arrangement as they will be hung from ceiling and we don't want them hanging down very far if possible. (8"-10" max?)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:12:00 PM by Tim Martin »

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Re: Church Speaker Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »

We recently remodeled our sanctuary and have a fully capable Presonus board and huge amps ready to power a set of speakers that will give clear sound (especially for regular speaking voice -- sermons) We are traditional regarding worship, so don't need huge concert-like speakers. We actually would like some sort of cluster or row of smaller speakers that would be aesthetically pleasing above the pulpit somehow. The room is 40'wide x 30' deep, with 14' high acoustic tile ceiling. We have carpet, padded chair seating and drywall walls. Budget? $1000-2000? We just want something to help amplify the  voices of the pastor and worship leader. They both use wireless mics. Please direct me to some speakers that we should consider.

btw, we are interested in something that has short vertical footprint. More of a horizontal arrangement as they will be hung from ceiling and we don't want them hanging down very far if possible. (8"-10" max?)

Tim,

If you're going to be flying speakers, you really need someone who knows what they are doing as Ivan stated in your last thread on the same topic: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,149640.msg1373561.html#msg1373561

Where are you located?  Maybe an installer on this forum is close and willing to take a look and make a recommendation.  It would be well worth your investment to have a local installer choose the right speaker arrangement and do the installation.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

In a 1200 sq ft room with a 14 ft ceiling you shouldn't need "huge amps" and speakers for traditional services.  Heck, you should be able to carry that room unamplified if those speaking are on a raised platform.

I would suggest you consider using a pair of small speakers mounted considerably ahead of the speaking platform and delaying them back to the pulpit.  The concept would be to enhance and support the natural voice rather than to amplify.  Check out JBL's install models.

Of course, your and my understanding of "traditional" service may well differ...and that really is a small room. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:45:05 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 04:47:49 PM »

I realize that we are over equipped, amp-wise, and the board is way overkill too. But it was all bought a few years ago by a well intentioned member... So if we go with smaller speakers midway back, maybe some flush mount ceiling ones? We do have quite a few elderly members and it's for them that we are wanting to amplify. Btw, at the rear of the room there is a large overflow area with 8' ceilings with ceiling mount speakers throughout, so that area is covered.

If smaller speakers are suggested, do you have some in mind? And what do you mean by delaying them back to the pulpit?

What about something like these http://www.electrovoice.com/family.php?id=162 (low profile) or maybe a couple of these with their wide range http://qsc.com/products/loudspeakers/wideline_series/

As far as installation, we are in the middle of nowhere, and but have contractors who attend the church who can help with safe installation.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

I shouldn't be so quick to assume that no installer would be in this area. The church is in Okanogan, WA. North Central Washington. If any installers might be nearby, that would be wonderful, and I think we would be happy to hire you to help us. Please contact me [email protected]

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »

You want to apply delay to any speakers placed ahead of or in front of the initial sound source so that when the original sound waves arrive at that point the reinforcement comes out of the speakers in sync or even up to 6 milliseconds after.

This aids in clarity and takes into account the precedence effect so that the sound  is associated pscho-accoustically with those who are speaking...rather than just coming out of the loudspeakers.

You should also be delay-syncing the ceiling speakers in the overflow space to get them in time with the sound in the main room...as much as possible.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 05:58:08 PM »

I realize that we are over equipped, amp-wise, and the board is way overkill too. But it was all bought a few years ago by a well intentioned member... So if we go with smaller speakers midway back, maybe some flush mount ceiling ones? We do have quite a few elderly members and it's for them that we are wanting to amplify. Btw, at the rear of the room there is a large overflow area with 8' ceilings with ceiling mount speakers throughout, so that area is covered.

If smaller speakers are suggested, do you have some in mind? And what do you mean by delaying them back to the pulpit?

What about something like these http://www.electrovoice.com/family.php?id=162 (low profile) or maybe a couple of these with their wide range http://qsc.com/products/loudspeakers/wideline_series/

As far as installation, we are in the middle of nowhere, and but have contractors who attend the church who can help with safe installation.

Couple of things, the widelines are large venue line arrays.  Just the hardware is out of your budget plus you use the room for blasting kidney stones when church was not in service.

Seriously, don't focus on a product, focus on a solution.  You have a large input mixer yet you indicated only 2 microphone inputs?

It was also brought up, and rightly so, that in such a small room you have to factor in the source of the voice. 

Do I understand that no amplified music will be played in this space?

Lastly you never told us how your other project turned out.  It's like ripping the end out of a book. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:48:38 PM »

Ok, sorry about that. Let me fill you in. We ended up taking the suggestion of the group here and putting in acoustic tile in the ceiling. It's made the sanctuary not nearly so "hot" as it would have been with a hard drywall ceiling. Thanks for that. We also decided not to try to keep using the big speakers we had in the corners before. We just want something smaller, newer, less obtrusive to go in that new sanctuary...

As far as inputs, we place for numerous other mics, but for now, only use one other mic and a acoustic guitar pick up as far as inputs. We also use the system for showing dvds using the projector, so I guess that's the other use we need to allow for. It's always possible that we will plug in a keyboard and other instruments in the future. So maybe that helps fill out the story a little bit more. Any more thoughts out there?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »

It's still a small room.  I liked the idea of a mid room hang, maybe not mid but forward of the stage.  You really don't want to overpower the room.  Maybe two 10" center hung and splayed.  Run it through prediction software and see.  With acoustic and vocal, go for quality.  If vocal clarity is a problem in the first two rows put some small hot spot monitors.

I don't like to hang powered speakers but the QSC K10's would work. The AP5102 is a good speaker and I don't care what anyone says the Mackie 200's are also a very nice 10"

The key is the design....Center hung...back from stage.....Downtilted properly.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »

Check out the JBL CBT series.  One speaker will cover the space.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 26 queries.