ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Church Speaker Suggestions  (Read 10686 times)

Tim Martin

Re: Church Speaker Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 03:04:30 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are there any others that seem like good options that are more horizontal (wouldn't hang down so much?)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Are there any others that seem like good options that are more horizontal (wouldn't hang down so much?)

The 8" - 10" drop from your initial post?
No, not and cover evenly front to rear.

There are some smaller cabinets that have broad close in coverage that tapers as you move up in the horn pattern.  There are also constant curvature arrays like the CBT mentioned that will do a good job when positioned correctly.
If you were to yes point source/trap cabinets you could hang front cabinets and then a delay further back for even coverage and short height.
Coverage and speaker placement will depend greatly on where your seating is/the area that you need to cover.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 11:59:38 AM »

I like the idea of having 3 short banks of speakers more than having one big cluster hanging way down. Any suggestions of particular speakers that would function well in this arrangement?

However, I am intrigued also with the CBT idea since it would only be one narrow tower of speakers to cover everything. That might work as well. They looked like they all were designed to either just sit on the floor or be wall mounted. Does anyone know if they can fly as well?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »

One of the more expensive CBT's will do your room.  They fly and come in white finish.

Using a single source will give you the most clarity.  multiple speakers yield multiple reflections and arrival times as well as suffering from cancellations in the sound field.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:22:21 PM by dick rees »
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:50 PM »

Thanks Dick. In a room our size, how far in front of the pulpit would you suggest hanging that CBT?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:19 PM »

Thanks Dick. In a room our size, how far in front of the pulpit would you suggest hanging that CBT?

Make a drawing to scale and simply overlay a template representing the coverage angle of the speaker(s) you're considering.  Determine the speaker placement from this.  But understand that the polar plots of speakers (and microphones)  will have frequency dependent variations.  Coverage will be wider in the LF.  Vocal intelligibility kind of resides in the 2.5-4K region, so I'd look at the coverage angle of speakers in that frequency range to determine your placement.

I usually use 3.5K as the determinant.   
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »

The CBT 70J/E might not be a bad choice given your needs and restrictions. I recommend this because it has enough power handling, output and frequency response to satisfy your needs. Using the extended version equates to more power handling, lower frequency response and lower pattern control. These are all desirable things.

In case you haven't noticed, the fullrange cabinet provides asymmetrical coverage. I think it is 18-degrees up and 27-degrees down when set to the 45-degree coverage angle.

You will need to tilt the column down in order to cover the nearest seats. You will also need to select the 45-degree coverage angle.

Use JBL's free coverage "modeling" application and, after entering your room's dimensions, etc., you can determine what the aiming angle will be.

This array (column) does not weigh much, by our standards. But you still need a pro to rig and suspend this. Among other issues, he/she will ensure that you use the correct, rated hardware *and* that your building suspension point(s) are "sound".
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 04:54:16 PM »

Among other issues, he/she will ensure that you use the correct, rated hardware *and* that your building suspension point(s) are "sound".

I always wondered what they meant when they told me they were putting in the "sound" points next.  ::)

Mac

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

I always wondered what they meant when they told me they were putting in the "sound" points next.  ::)

Mac

And should you get concerned when the riggers tell you that the suspension points are "to light"?

Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

Guess a guy can't cut a break here, no how.

Rough house  ;-)
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.