ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I sell my SRX system??  (Read 21240 times)

Rick Powell

Re: Should I sell my SRX system??
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2014, 11:31:41 PM »

Now look what you've gone and done….. I just spent the last 40 minutes checking out what I can online about the Danleys…. They are really nice. I will not be tempted -I will not be tempted !!!

Debbie,

As an owner of an SM80 over TH115 Danley system, I love the performance and compactness.  However, if I were already invested in an SRX or PRX system (which I have used and would enjoy seeing in a walk-up gig) I would not necessarily make a change if my current system was serving me well. 

Richard Turner

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:06 PM »

Look at it this way.

residual value of the system $6000

What is the value of warehouse space to store, I'd guess it would require 15 square feet to store it and have it in the space in a way it was clear to get to the door and loaded without playing tetris. The value of the space  less any depreciation on paper plus any decrease in residual value  is what it costs to keep it around as spare/backup/rental. That is worded rather akwardly but I hope you follow the logic.

If you were to sell it and bank the cash in a safe investment you may or may not outstrip the inflation rate or increase in consumer price index. I have no idea if you do dry rentals or gigs that you just shouldn't take the good gear out to that we all end up taking to fill out the calendar. but unless you were rolling the cash into gear or another business venture those may be options to recoup cash from it without hurting its residual value.

I'm a bit in the same boat with one older rig I keep hanging on to (yorkville EF508/LS808 4 of each plus amps) but the thing is long ago paid for, appears to be bulletproof, is essentially 2 small or one med system  and can basically be deployed by any monkey who can figure out an XLR and NL4 cable and seems to be rider friendly enough for those familiar with the TX4/TX9s or ls800p, well that and it goes out dirt cheap on a dry rent.

You did mention the problems of finding parking with a trailer at some venues. Think really hard about how much time has been wasted this summer on block circling, or having to take an extra body to direct traffic or dump the trailer out quick and park then walk back for load ins. What is that time and hassle worth in dollars?

How would a would the smaller lighter rig compare? How much would moving to it really cost after cashing out the old rig and buying new, having new warranty and new price to be depreciating out again? Was it a good year, are you in need of the tax shelter? Are you having to keep up with the jonses with regards to other locals? Or would the move to a boutique system set you apart in a good way?
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Randall Hyde

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:25 PM »

I have been thinking about doing this for some time now. I used to fight the powered speaker thing and never thought it would really take off. Then I took the plunge and started to invest in some boxes whilst sticking with my trusted SRX cabs for most jobs.
I have two rigs, "A" (SRX) and "B" (PRX). The SRX rig requires a truck, the PRX rig could fit in the back of my pickup (though for security reasons, I usually drive the truck anyway).

I have had a PRX system for some time now and I am finding myself using it over the SRX's more and more. In fact, I am only bringing out my SRX's for outside shows where it is sunny and warm and little shade. The idea being I can keep the amps cooler that way. 
Which is a good idea. My PRX tops are PRX 625 cabs (bad thermal design) and they shut off during the show if sun is hitting the heat sink.  No problems with the PRX 7xx gear (monitors and subs) in this regard, but they usually don't have the sun hitting the amp module.

The PRX system sounds good and I can get plenty of volume for most of the gigs we do. 
And there is the crux of it. If you're happy with the PRX gear and it's more convenient to use, use it.
My experience has been the opposite. The PRX is fine for budget-senstive gigs; the volume (and, especially, headroom) is rarely sufficient. Of course, most of my gigs are
1. Outdoors
2. Have more than a hundred people or so
3. Are rock shows

Indoors the PRX gear works a *whole* lot better, outdoors not so much.

I have quite a lot of money tied up in passive speakers, amps, drive rack, speak- on cables and the extra rack case and I could use that money for other things like perhaps a couple more PRX718's for the larger gigs. I already have 4 PRX 612's.
I have been very *unhappy* with the performance of the two PRX 718 XLF cabinets I bought. I used to use a pair of MPro 418s powered by a Crown XTi 4000. Not great, but workable. The 718s are inferior to the Mpro combination. I really want to stick with two subs, so buying more 718 XLF cabinets to make up the difference is problematic (truck pack, setup and strike, storage, etc.). I don't recall you mentioning the type of music you play, but if you expect to feel the kick drums, I'd look at something beyond the 718 XLF. The Danley suggestion makes sense if you get a powered unit and it fits in your van.

[quote
I can't believe I am even considering this but it  is making more and more sense to me. Less space in the trailer, no heavy amp rack to deal with, no garden hose size speak-on cables to carry ( I run it 3 way so very fat cabling, extra amp etc)…[/quote]
Yes, that is the promise of powered speakers. I've just not had great experiences with MI gear (stuff in the sub-$1,700 range).

I did a quick calc today and used value of everything in the rack and the speakers -not including cables is easily at around 6k.

I might wake up tomorrow and change my mind but what do you think??
The real question is how often do you use the SRX gear?  Figure it will probably cost you $500-$1,000 to rent such a system. Do the math, including costs for storing the SRX gear (and trailer) while you're not using it. Do you see doing more work in the future? Less?

I'd go the Danley route if I were starting over today, btw.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
P.S. If you really want the PRX 718XLF, I may be selling mine off and replacing them in the near future as they really aren't sufficient for my needs :)  I only have two, though...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2014, 01:55:15 PM »

I have two rigs, "A" (SRX) and "B" (PRX). The SRX rig requires a truck, the PRX rig could fit in the back of my pickup (though for security reasons, I usually drive the truck anyway).
Which is a good idea. My PRX tops are PRX 625 cabs (bad thermal design) and they shut off during the show if sun is hitting the heat sink.  No problems with the PRX 7xx gear (monitors and subs) in this regard, but they usually don't have the sun hitting the amp module.
And there is the crux of it. If you're happy with the PRX gear and it's more convenient to use, use it.
My experience has been the opposite. The PRX is fine for budget-senstive gigs; the volume (and, especially, headroom) is rarely sufficient. Of course, most of my gigs are
1. Outdoors
2. Have more than a hundred people or so
3. Are rock shows

Indoors the PRX gear works a *whole* lot better, outdoors not so much.
I have been very *unhappy* with the performance of the two PRX 718 XLF cabinets I bought. I used to use a pair of MPro 418s powered by a Crown XTi 4000. Not great, but workable. The 718s are inferior to the Mpro combination. I really want to stick with two subs, so buying more 718 XLF cabinets to make up the difference is problematic (truck pack, setup and strike, storage, etc.). I don't recall you mentioning the type of music you play, but if you expect to feel the kick drums, I'd look at something beyond the 718 XLF. The Danley suggestion makes sense if you get a powered unit and it fits in your van.
The real question is how often do you use the SRX gear?  Figure it will probably cost you $500-$1,000 to rent such a system. Do the math, including costs for storing the SRX gear (and trailer) while you're not using it. Do you see doing more work in the future? Less?

I'd go the Danley route if I were starting over today, btw.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde
P.S. If you really want the PRX 718XLF, I may be selling mine off and replacing them in the near future as they really aren't sufficient for my needs :)  I only have two, though...

good info here Randall…

Most of the gigs I get to do 'round these parts are bar/restaurant gigs so that is why the PRX system works great for me. If was doing more outdoor shows and bigger shows, I'd find the same thing as you.
Although, I am surprised you are not happy with he PRX718 for the smaller shows. I get good results from mine IF I don't expect them to compete with my SRX's.
And there is my dilemma….Right now I am keeping my SRX system till I get the itch again.

Let me know when you decide to sell your PRX's as I'd like one more…..that is if you are OK with selling them separately. I find with powered speakers, especially subs, they are sometimes easier to sell individually and can bring more money...

And if I were to start over, I'd consider Danley too and that is just based on what I have heard and researched !!!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2014, 02:07:34 PM »

I used my PRX system yesterday outside in the sun and it was the first time I had done so. I always used my SRX system for the outdoor gigs. My concern had always been the heat sinks on the PRX612's. Well, it performed like a champ and I have to say everyone in my little group of friends was very impressed with the sound I was alb;e to get. I have a show next weekend outside and I will use the SRX system along with an aux PRX718 and then I will sell it.  I know I will hear the sound next week and want to keep it but it really will be the best thing I can do right now. 
So, looks like I'll be putting the speakers, covers, amps, DRPA, rack and speakon cables for sale.

I have PM'd Bob and Scott
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2014, 04:10:15 PM »

I used my PRX system yesterday outside in the sun and it was the first time I had done so. I always used my SRX system for the outdoor gigs. My concern had always been the heat sinks on the PRX612's. Well, it performed like a champ and I have to say everyone in my little group of friends was very impressed with the sound I was alb;e to get. I have a show next weekend outside and I will use the SRX system along with an aux PRX718 and then I will sell it.  I know I will hear the sound next week and want to keep it but it really will be the best thing I can do right now. 
So, looks like I'll be putting the speakers, covers, amps, DRPA, rack and speakon cables for sale.

I have PM'd Bob and Scott

Why sell the 718? I thought you liked the PRX system, and were thinking of selling the SRX?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

Why sell the 718? I thought you liked the PRX system, and were thinking of selling the SRX?

It is the SRX system I am selling. I used the PRX system yesterday and it sounded great so I am selling my SRX718's and SRX 715's.

cliff truesdell

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 01:27:47 PM »

I just recently sold off my SRX system in favor of a powered system. The SRX sounded great but I was lacking the real amps and processing to really make them stand out.

I loved my 718's and decided to get the powered equivalent, VRX918sp.

I haven't really decided on the tops yet. Still looking.

I have used the PRX612 in the past with good results but I would now have to look at the on the used market.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

I just recently sold off my SRX system in favor of a powered system. The SRX sounded great but I was lacking the real amps and processing to really make them stand out.

I loved my 718's and decided to get the powered equivalent, VRX918sp.

I haven't really decided on the tops yet. Still looking.

I have used the PRX612 in the past with good results but I would now have to look at the on the used market.

Yeah the SRX boxes are so nice. But I have to consider all things. I get great results with my amps through the SRX's but the set up and break down is longer and what with the hauling extra amps, racks cables, yadda yadda yadda….

I am sure you love your VRX boxes.
The few reasons I went the PRX route and did not consider the VRX's was because the higher SPL and wattage on the PRX makes it better value for money in my budget and also, it is considered at least the equivalent if not superior to the old 618 XLF which is very well loved by all. I would have purchased the 618xlf if it was still a current model.  All the used ones I came across had been worked real hard.
One more reason is because I do not let anyone else but hubby and I touch my gear so there is a very low risk of damage so I don't have to worry too much about build quality when it comes to transporting them. Although these PRX718's and 612's are holding up really well. I use 1/2" padded covers on them.
If I were you I would consider the PRX712's as a replacement for the 612's. I have heard them side by side and there is so little difference between the 2. If you can get a hold of some 612's used, go for it. I really do like mine.
At one point I had 2 of my PRX612's up for sale because i didn't think I needed 4 and as luck would have it I got messed around by a buyer who I had held onto them for 3 weeks.  After he let me down, I changed my mind and kept them. I am pleased I did. They get used in the studio, FOH and monitor use. Very handy to have.

Maybe down the road I'll upgrade the tops but I think I'll keep the 718's. Picking another one up tomorrow ….

If you choose to go another route with the tops, I'd be interested to hear what you decide and how the system sounds together...

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »

I finally put my SRX rig on CL today. I'll see if anyone locally is interested to make shipping easier. I might not like some of the offers I get though ….
If (when) it sells, I'd like to put some of the money into replacing my PRX612's to play with my PRX718xlf's.

I like the PRX612's - they have worked great for me but I'd like not to miss my SRX's too much so I need to upgrade a bit I think.  What would be a good upgrade for me keeping price below $1600 per box if possible to use with my PRX718xlf's? If I have to add a couple more subs, I can do that too.
Rock band work - mainly bars and smaller outdoor shows.

As a side note - I have never sold anything on ebay - bought plenty of stuff though. I am wondering if I don't get the interest in this area if I should go that route. Does anyone have any advice on ebay selling?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2014, 12:06:22 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.