ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: some dugan questions for ya'll  (Read 6970 times)

Kellen Tyburski

• Kellen Tyburski | Audio Engineering
some dugan questions for ya'll
« on: August 16, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »

Hey guys, I posted this over at the dugausers group, no response - wondering if someone may be able to help with either of these questions - thanks!

-I used 2 Dugan MY-16 cards in an LS9-32 the past few days. I could not get the insert points on the LS9-32 to be post fader. The "Insert Point Select Box" on the INSERT pop-up window read PRE EQ. But when I tried to select the box to change it to Post Fader, nothing happened. I did not see any option to change the insert point. The firmware was 1.33. Any suggestions?

-I have a question about how to balance mics with a Dugan system. Assume that inserts are post fader, and that there is a panel of 3 speakers..everyone gets on stage, and speaker 1 is quieter than speaker 2 and 3, and needs a volume boost. From what I understand, I have 2 ways of balancing these mics...
1.) either potting up the gain or sliding the fader up on speaker 1 (this will put more gain into the entire dugan's "pool" of gain to be shared by all active channels, right?)
2.) use the "weight" control to adjust the ratio of person 1 relative to the other 2 people, giving person 1 more access to the "pool" of gain (would this be making person 1 louder, or just turning the other 2 people down?)
Which is the recommended way while using the Dugan Automixer, and why? Please help me to compare these 2 options and the pros and cons of each.

Thanks in advance for your time!!

KT

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: some dugan questions for ya'll
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »

I used 2 Dugan MY-16 cards in an LS9-32 the past few days. I could not get the insert points on the LS9-32 to be post fader. The "Insert Point Select Box" on the INSERT pop-up window read PRE EQ. But when I tried to select the box to change it to Post Fader, nothing happened. I did not see any option to change the insert point. The firmware was 1.33. Any suggestions?

You put the cursor on the box then use the data wheel to select the various insert points.

I have a question about how to balance mics with a Dugan system. Assume that inserts are post fader, and that there is a panel of 3 speakers..everyone gets on stage, and speaker 1 is quieter than speaker 2 and 3, and needs a volume boost. From what I understand, I have 2 ways of balancing these mics...
1.) either potting up the gain or sliding the fader up on speaker 1 (this will put more gain into the entire dugan's "pool" of gain to be shared by all active channels, right?)
2.) use the "weight" control to adjust the ratio of person 1 relative to the other 2 people, giving person 1 more access to the "pool" of gain (would this be making person 1 louder, or just turning the other 2 people down?)
Which is the recommended way while using the Dugan Automixer, and why? Please help me to compare these 2 options and the pros and cons of each.

You just mix like you would without a Dugan inserted. If someone is a low speaker they need to be raised in the mix to be balanced with the other mics. If a channel requires noticeably more gain than the others to be balanced there may be a slight pumping of the background noise as the mics get raised and lowered by the automixer.

Mac

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:00:12 PM »

You put the cursor on the box then use the data wheel to select the various insert points.

You just mix like you would without a Dugan inserted. If someone is a low speaker they need to be raised in the mix to be balanced with the other mics. If a channel requires noticeably more gain than the others to be balanced there may be a slight pumping of the background noise as the mics get raised and lowered by the automixer.

Mac

Mac, you are the man - thanks.
KT

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »

Kellen,

In addition to Mac's advice, don't overlook turning the Insert "ON".

Bypass the inserts (or the Dugan processing channel) to ring out the room, then turn it back on.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Kellen Tyburski

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »

Kellen,

In addition to Mac's advice, don't overlook turning the Insert "ON".

Bypass the inserts (or the Dugan processing channel) to ring out the room, then turn it back on.

So is this your SOP when using a Dugan?
Ring the mics out and EQ before you insert the Dugan (just as you didnt have it), and then insert it on all channels?
KT

Jordan Wolf

some dugan questions for ya'll
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »

So is this your SOP when using a Dugan?
Ring the mics out and EQ before you insert the Dugan (just as you didnt have it), and then insert it on all channels?
Typically, when using an automixer setup like with the Dugan cards, DC., you are using multiples of the same microphones.  Of course there will be disparities between feedback freqs from spot to spot, but you can generally EQ the same types of mics as a whole (via bussing them all to the same mix/group/whatever) and then use individual channel EQ to smooth out irregularities in tone and the like.

Since the insert point for the automixing is on a per-channel basis, sending everything through a dedicated EQ is not an issue.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 08:51:38 AM »

Typically, when using an automixer setup like with the Dugan cards, DC., you are using multiples of the same microphones.  Of course there will be disparities between feedback freqs from spot to spot, but you can generally EQ the same types of mics as a whole (via bussing them all to the same mix/group/whatever) and then use individual channel EQ to smooth out irregularities in tone and the like.

Since the insert point for the automixing is on a per-channel basis, sending everything through a dedicated EQ is not an issue.

To swerve OT, Jordan, what the hell are they doing to Haddon ave? I was trying to grab a bite the other day on my way through town and ended up just turning around and heading down the pike.

Also, you should load up the car with high pass filters and head down to the aquarium. They are in dire need of one on just about every open mic in the joint.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »

To swerve OT, Jordan, what the hell are they doing to Haddon ave? I was trying to grab a bite the other day on my way through town and ended up just turning around and heading down the pike.
Hayden,

Is that what's going on past Cuthbert Blvd.?  I don't drive down that way too frequently, so I'm not sure...probably just "typical" roadwork.

Also, you should load up the car with high pass filters and head down to the aquarium. They are in dire need of one on just about every open mic in the joint.
In my experience, most aquariums are just one, giant standing wave...needs the D60 fix.
Jordan Wolf
<><

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 04:45:04 PM »

Hayden,

Is that what's going on past Cuthbert Blvd.?  I don't drive down that way too frequently, so I'm not sure...probably just "typical" roadwork.
In my experience, most aquariums are just one, giant standing wave...needs the D60 fix.

Lotta leakage with the D60 EQ, though...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »

Lotta leakage with the D60 EQ, though...
Yeah, well I like my vox wet. ;-)
Jordan Wolf
<><

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 12:45:17 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 25 queries.