ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Overheated iPad loses network functionality  (Read 812 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Overheated iPad loses network functionality
« on: July 25, 2023, 07:38:38 PM »

So we had our annual Block Party (mini festival) last weekend which coincided with our first triple-digit temps of the summer and an iPad that was connected to our SQ6 got left in the sun too long and overheated giving the “Temperature: Your iPad needs to cool down before you can use it” warning.  Ok, so we moved it to a cooler shady place and fired up a backup unit. Once it cooled down (in an hour or so) it seemed to be OK but would not stay connected to the SQ6. It showed it was connected to the correct network and would connect to the mixer but after a few minutes would just drop the connection.  Weird.  So we just set it aside and finished the weekend with other tablets.

Today I tried to update the Yamaha Provisionaire app on the affected iPad and the Lenovo laptop I was using could not “see” it on the network.  Hmmm, so I went into Settings and told it to forget the specific (mixer) network and then reconnected to it. Voila!  All seems good again.  I connected to the mixer and walked the property boundary without any dropouts (granted there weren’t several hundred folks walking around with phones in their pockets).  Evidently(?) the fact that it was connected to the mixer when it went into over-temp protection somehow corrupted that network configuration?  Just sharing in case someone else encounters this issue.
..db

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
Re: Overheated iPad loses network functionality
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2023, 08:15:34 PM »

So we had our annual Block Party (mini festival) last weekend which coincided with our first triple-digit temps of the summer and an iPad that was connected to our SQ6 got left in the sun too long and overheated giving the “Temperature: Your iPad needs to cool down before you can use it” warning. 

I’ve seen this with my iPads. That’s why I keep a few instant cold compress packs with me. They can keep the iPad cool in a pinch, or help speed it back to life.
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2023, 10:10:23 PM »

I've seen iPads do weird stuff like that. Turning it off, then back on again sometimes helps.  Turning the settings off and then on again sometimes helps.

The sucky thing about iPads is that Apple bolted the hood shut, so you really can't look and see what's really going on.
Brian Jojade

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 11:16:03 PM »

I've seen iPads do weird stuff like that. Turning it off, then back on again sometimes helps.  Turning the settings off and then on again sometimes helps.

The sucky thing about iPads is that Apple bolted the hood shut, so you really can't look and see what's really going on.

My guess is the ARP table was old and not clearing.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2023, 09:01:39 AM »

Hard resets can be your friend with anything Apple.

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2023, 11:17:25 AM »

Hard resets can be your friend with anything Apple.
Agreed. I did a hard/deep reset/restart after it cooled down (even before I discovered the connection issue) but didn’t think of forgetting and restoring the specific network connection as an additional step once the problem presented.
..db

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2023, 12:50:58 PM »

Just to close the loop here.  Last night I used the affected (and fixed) iPad for a three-hour show outside.  Maybe 200 in attendance.  Not a single dropout/reconnect all night.  Live and learn.
..db

Mal Brown

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 07:03:37 PM »

Always, always... have a spare tablet (or three) in the shade.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2023, 07:03:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.