ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Preservatives in food: The bread that would not mold!  (Read 14837 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: Preservatives in food: The bread that would not mold!
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 01:41:34 AM »

A lot of folks would realize better health and weight loss by eliminating or drastically cutting the whites (flour, grains, sugar, pasta).

Or as I read somewhere recently - don't eat anything beige.

Of course, portion control is important as well.

British TV and stage hypnotist Paul McKenna published a self help diet book and CD a few years ago based on three simple principles.

1.  Eat what you want.
2. Only eat when you're hungry.
3. Stop when you're no longer hungry.

The third point being the most important and most often ignored.

Steve.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 10:23:17 AM »

Or as I read somewhere recently - don't eat anything beige.
Nonsense, but the diet industry long ago had to do more than just say eat less food, to separate the fools from their money.
British TV and stage hypnotist Paul McKenna published a self help diet book and CD a few years ago based on three simple principles.

1.  Eat what you want.
2. Only eat when you're hungry.
3. Stop when you're no longer hungry.

The third point being the most important and most often ignored.

Steve.

Unfortunately that does not work. We are wired to eat more in times of plenty (when more food is in front of us) to survive the lean times, that do not come any more.

There is a time lag between when we eat food, and our body gives us the no longer hungry signaling. There are a few strategies to avoid over-eating because of this. One is to eat very slowly (chew your food twice even if it doesn't need it). If you wolf down a pile of food quickly you can still be hungry enough for seconds, while a more deliberate (slower) attack on your plate, might give your body time to report the meals arrival in your stomach back to your brain.

A second strategy is portion control where the size of the meal is predetermined. Even if a little hungry immediately after finishing the portion, you are not hungry enough to eat another whole TV dinner (or whatever), and within a few minutes you are no longer hungry and all is well.

The stomach full is a relatively short term feedback messaging (minutes), but there are longer term learned responses from the energy content of foods, so while eating an imitation burger with fake (indigestible) fries, may fool you short term, but your body will notice that there was no energy content and ramp up the appetite for more food.

The largest flaw in our appetite to control hunger is that it works purely short term on what have you eaten lately (mostly sugar in blood and glycogen stored in several organs), and ignores all the energy stored in fat. We could have several months worth of food content in our fat tanks and still feel hungry because we missed breakfast.

The diet industry is multi Billion dollar a year (maybe trillion), the larger food industry is many times that. The diet industry makes money by promising easy solutions, which is like an exercise machine that doesn't involve effort. :-) There are no easy answers, like simple food substitution. Sure some foods are better than others but at the end of the day you need to eat less energy content (calories) to lose weight.

The large food industry is more insidious. Just like any business they make more money the more food they sell. They sell us more food by appealing to our wired in appetite triggers, and making it convenient to eat more. 

Good luck, this is not easy and the general population is on a steady march to obesity and metabolic syndrome.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »

We live in the heart of Demoulas / Marketbasket country and there are three in my town. For the longest time I have been pushing my wife to shop at other stores even though the ride is longer. My reason being the mostly poor quality of the food they sell. Watery eggs (old), often spoiled meat, not so fresh produce. What I get is "The price is too high, the ride is too long." Well this employee walkout has been to my benefit. She's been shopping at Shaw's where the price is slightly higher, but, the quality of the food is outstanding. Fresh eggs, very fresh produce, great meats, and really good people. Fuck Market Basket, I'll never go back.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »

There are many areas in life where we can compromise and go for the cheap option.  The food we eat shouldn't be one.

Steve.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 12:37:26 PM »

There are many areas in life where we can compromise and go for the cheap option.  The food we eat shouldn't be one.

Steve.

Nor rigging/staging. Electrical. Line arrays.

hahaa. (Watch I make pro audio relevant again! Woo hoo!)
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tom Roche

• Behind the Zion Curtain
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 05:33:39 PM »

There is a time lag between when we eat food, and our body gives us the no longer hungry signaling. There are a few strategies to avoid over-eating because of this. One is to eat very slowly (chew your food twice even if it doesn't need it). If you wolf down a pile of food quickly you can still be hungry enough for seconds, while a more deliberate (slower) attack on your plate, might give your body time to report the meals arrival in your stomach back to your brain.

A second strategy is portion control where the size of the meal is predetermined. Even if a little hungry immediately after finishing the portion, you are not hungry enough to eat another whole TV dinner (or whatever), and within a few minutes you are no longer hungry and all is well.

Earlier this year I read about a new comparative study in which participants were divided into two groups.  All were instructed to maintain their eating habits.  The experimental group was told to drink one glass of water before each meal.  As one would imagine, members of this group didn't consume as much because they felt full earlier than usual and, consequently, lost weight.  There are a handful of similar studies.

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

Earlier this year I read about a new comparative study in which participants were divided into two groups.  All were instructed to maintain their eating habits.  The experimental group was told to drink one glass of water before each meal.  As one would imagine, members of this group didn't consume as much because they felt full earlier than usual and, consequently, lost weight.  There are a handful of similar studies.
That may be a new study but an old trick. It works on the same principle as lap-band surgery (that shrinks the stomach) where the volume of the water takes up space in the stomach leaving less room for food. In the long term the zero energy content of the water will be adjusted for by long term appetite mechanisms, but it couldn't hurt. Since it's the volume of liquid and not the water that is at work, I try to fill my stomach with several beers before meals. Beer is mostly water. :-)

JR

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 07:51:11 PM »

I try to stay away from fast food, but enjoy a good sub made with good fresh meats and cheeses.

I agree subs are probably better for you, but the "fresh meat" always puzzles me-ever check the expiration dates on lunchmeats?  Worked in a lunch meat department for a while in my college days-actually helped open the store.  When I left over months later  later we still had unbroken pallets of canned hams that we had received prior to opening-and there was no rush to sell them they still had plenty of "life" left in them.  One could argue that the ground beef a burger is made from is much "fresher" than most of the processed lunch meats.
Steve Swaffer

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 09:34:24 PM »

Talking about expiration dates, did you ever see a "use by" date on Kool-aid? I typically make a low calorie lemonade with concentrated lemon juice but i ran out, and found some Kool-aid packets in my cupboard that were probably 10+ years old... but had no toss date on them so let's see what happens? The Cherry flavor was OK  (at least it tasted OK), but both envelops of orange flavor were clearly "expired". The powder was congealed solid as if it absorbed moisture and there was a white discoloration like mold on it. It also failed the smell test so the stank went into the trash.

FWIW I used to love the Kool-aid they sold back in the '60s that was sweetened with cyclamates, but they pulled that off the market because it was dangerous. Thank you Delany amendment. I used to drink that like Kool-aid. 

JR

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »

Remember "Whip'n Chill"?  Here's a list of ingredients:

Sugar, Nonfat Milk, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Modified Food Starch, Gelatin, Propylene Glycol Monostearate, Sodium Caseinate, Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Acetylated Monoglycerides, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut and Palm Kernel Oils), Salt, Cellulose Gum, Soy Lecithin, Artificial Flavor, Mono- and Diglycerides, Cellulose Gel, Bha and Citric Acid (Preservatives).

Ah, the wondrous food products of the '60's...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:59 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.