ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Line array question  (Read 9107 times)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
Re: Line array question
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 09:54:41 PM »

Based on the sketch and budget, your best bet if you have to buy new is to provide all that money into top speakers.  Then later double that much into subs.

Since you said speakers, not amps and DSP, look at passive and efficient.  New Danley SM80's, used Community SLS920's, etc.  If you include amps/DSP budget, maybe RCF TT5A's.  Even used SRX/QRX. 

Not ideal, but close to your parameters, and if operated within limits, should work well.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:34:35 PM »

No just speakers. The reason I'm asking is because I saw a venue twice my size with only four jbl speakers placed in front of the stage and it was poppin.

Charlie, does that mean the 4 speakers were placed across the width of the stage?

How tall was the stage?

While I think of it... $5k isn't enough to do what you saw (and I don't think you saw everything, this sounds more like a "front fill" deployment).  New, the VRX932LA is $2200 and the powered version is $2700.

Back to not seeing everything - what about subwoofers?  Any content below 80Hz?  If there was, it wasn't coming from the VRX.

What's the chance you can get a "lights-on" visit at the venue?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 07:40:59 AM »

Charlie, does that mean the 4 speakers were placed across the width of the stage?

How tall was the stage?

While I think of it... $5k isn't enough to do what you saw (and I don't think you saw everything, this sounds more like a "front fill" deployment).  New, the VRX932LA is $2200 and the powered version is $2700.

Back to not seeing everything - what about subwoofers?  Any content below 80Hz?  If there was, it wasn't coming from the VRX.

What's the chance you can get a "lights-on" visit at the venue?
And while he is there he could ask what they spent or at least get some model numbers to START a conversation.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 08:09:27 PM »

I understand that. All I want to know is if anyone or anybody has ran line array speakers set in front of the stage, just like I have mentioned.
Charlie,

I have, below is a picture of my system during sound check for Lake Street Drive last Sunday- what a great band and crew, Jason Raboin mixing FOH, Luke Milanese monitors.
The picture was taken about 75 foot back from the stage, coverage was clear and even to the back of the venue, 150' from stage.

I "came out of retirement" for the show, the complete system is available for sale, two of the line array cabinets are not visible, covering a dance floor area house right.

Although the system is listed for more than your budget, I'm willing to negotiate  :).

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,151006.0.html

A new JBL line array system with similar output and line length would be around 8 times my asking price.

Art

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:51:31 PM by Art Welter »

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 09:46:07 PM »

Check your link Art.  I keep getting a "Missing or Off Limits" notification on IE and FF.
This space for rent

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 02:13:53 PM »

Check your link Art.  I keep getting a "Missing or Off Limits" notification on IE and FF.
Thanks, Lee- the ad was posted 2/28/14, I guess nothing lasts forever, even here..

I have updated it:

Art
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:50:57 PM by Art Welter »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »

Thanks, Lee- the ad was posted 2/28/14, I guess nothing lasts forever, even here..

I have updated it:

Art

Art - I think you meant "Lake Street Dive" and yes Rachael has an amazing voice. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.