ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: What is the next big thing  (Read 6290 times)

Tomin Tollefsen

What is the next big thing
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:47:20 PM »

Most of us is always learning the new technologies, reading up on new products and improving our skills.
So in that regard, what do you think is going to be the next big thing? The technology that everyone should
now in a couple of years, but is ready for nerding about right now?

Digital protocols (avb, etc) and general network technology comes to mind. So do new DSP technology in line array systems.

Any ideas from you guys? And if something does come to mind, what should one read to get a better understanding of that
specific thing? Looking forward to your answers :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: What is the next big thing
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »

Most of us is always learning the new technologies, reading up on new products and improving our skills.
So in that regard, what do you think is going to be the next big thing? The technology that everyone should

Digital protocols (avb, etc) and general network technology comes to mind. So do new DSP technology in line array systems.

Any ideas from you guys? And if something does come to mind, what should one read to get a better understanding of that

The physics of sound are not going to change.  Digital has brought new technologies into the audio engineering fold.  So yes to be an audio engineer today you need to understand networking, digital interfaces, CODEC's etc.

So my point would be fill in gap in your core knowledge.  Once you have seen enough gear you develop a process for learning new gear.

I am fond of saying it's all the same only different.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 07:59:30 PM »

The physics of sound are not going to change.  Digital has brought new technologies into the audio engineering fold.  So yes to be an audio engineer today you need to understand networking, digital interfaces, CODEC's etc.

So my point would be fill in gap in your core knowledge.  Once you have seen enough gear you develop a process for learning new gear.

I am fond of saying it's all the same only different.
I think this whole digital thing is here to stay. ;)
Really Scott hit the nail on the head.  Knowing what needs to be done and why is FAR more important than how its done.  For example, I have been running into many of the most recent consoles.  The new snake systems are very cool, just a cat 5 or some fiber to link the FOH to stage.  I do not need to know how it works, just use what the console manufacture specks for cable and connectors.  What I DO need to know is what a parametric EQ is and how to use it.  Doing corporate I need to know what a mix minus is and why I would use one.  It does not matter what the underlying tech is.  We have needed to do this since the analog only days.
I run into too many techs who know of Dante because they saw it on another show, but they have no clue what an EQ is for.  Learn the basics and develop a way to get up to speed on new consoles, the rest will fall into place as needed.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:34:06 AM »

Inflatable line arrays and solar-powered subwoofers.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »

Bacon flavored condoms?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 08:07:54 AM »

Live bands playing to audiences, all wearing good quality headphones and a radio receiver.  No FOH speakers at all.

Like all of my brilliant ideas, this has probably already been done.

Steve.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »

Live bands playing to audiences, all wearing good quality headphones and a radio receiver.  No FOH speakers at all.

Steve.
1999 - Flaming Lips
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Hayden J. Nebus

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:05 AM »

Steve.

Microwave auditory effect. Tinfoil hats for all the techs.

Chris Eddison

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 12:55:26 PM »

Soon we're going to see a generation of sound engineers who have never cut their teeth on analogue first. I think that's when things will get really interesting! After all, most digital consoles in some way or another try to replicate an analogue console. Part of that is because the signal flow through the channel strip makes sense, but part of that is because of familiarity. Once you start getting a bunch of people designing consoles who don't see or need that link, that's when we may see some new and interesting ideas on the console market.

Helium filled speaker cabinets would be a good call, or quadcopter flying points.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

Soon we're going to see a generation of sound engineers who have never cut their teeth on analogue first. I think that's when things will get really interesting! After all, most digital consoles in some way or another try to replicate an analogue console. Part of that is because the signal flow through the channel strip makes sense, but part of that is because of familiarity. Once you start getting a bunch of people designing consoles who don't see or need that link, that's when we may see some new and interesting ideas on the console market.

Helium filled speaker cabinets would be a good call, or quadcopter flying points.

That day is arriving now.

Over the last 15 months we've had 3 BEs that have never mixed a show on analog.  We were fully booked when a good customer called with another gig, and we nearly sent out the PM4000 and insert rack.  When I mentioned this to the BE (we got an SC48 for him) he told me "we'd have problems then, I use compressors on almost every input, plus I've never mixed a concert on analog."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.